Looking for algae eating fish for 60 gallon breeder with Fiji cube AIO insert

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've been looking at a new 60 gallon breeder which I think is a pretty decent size tank for a low budget build. I've been leaning towards using the 40 gallon Fiji cube aio insert as opposed to a canister filter or hang on back filter and was wondering what are some realistic options for herbivores that would work in this tank. In the past I've been comfortable keeping one small bristle tooth tang in a 75 gallon tank however the AIO cube does take about 5 in of length off the tank. So as far as stocking fish goes I would be treating this tank as more of a 43-in breeder. I know biota raises court jester gobies which they market as eating hair algae and was thinking that might be an option however I've never had a tank without a tang in it at some point. I'm thinking this might also be a bit too small for a fox face fish especially if I won't be upgrading for another few years. I've never had an algae blenny that actually ate algae so at this point I've completely ruled them out. I do plan on putting a few Mexican turbo snails in at some point but was hoping to have at least one or two fish to work on algae. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best algae eating fish is an invertebrate. Ring cowries, spiny astrea snails and tuxedo urchins will all outperform any fish many times their size.

I've always been interested in buying a cowrie however I've never actually seen them for sale online. Do you have any places that you recommend?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been interested in buying a cowrie however I've never actually seen them for sale online. Do you have any places that you recommend?
Sorry, no - I always get mine from my LFS. They'll also tackle dinos to some extent.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've been looking at a new 60 gallon breeder which I think is a pretty decent size tank for a low budget build. I've been leaning towards using the 40 gallon Fiji cube aio insert as opposed to a canister filter or hang on back filter and was wondering what are some realistic options for herbivores that would work in this tank. In the past I've been comfortable keeping one small bristle tooth tang in a 75 gallon tank however the AIO cube does take about 5 in of length off the tank. So as far as stocking fish goes I would be treating this tank as more of a 43-in breeder. I know biota raises court jester gobies which they market as eating hair algae and was thinking that might be an option however I've never had a tank without a tang in it at some point. I'm thinking this might also be a bit too small for a fox face fish especially if I won't be upgrading for another few years. I've never had an algae blenny that actually ate algae so at this point I've completely ruled them out. I do plan on putting a few Mexican turbo snails in at some point but was hoping to have at least one or two fish to work on algae. Any thoughts?
Did you end up getting the 40g aio and 60b? I wanted to know if it actually fit as aqueon lists the 40b at 18" high and the 60b as 16". Also my lawnmower actually eats large chunks of GHA (ive watched him do it) but they are kinda hit and miss based on others.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting the 40g aio and 60b? I wanted to know if it actually fit as aqueon lists the 40b at 18" high and the 60b as 16". Also my lawnmower actually eats large chunks of GHA (ive watched him do it) but they are kinda hit and miss based on others.
I was hoping to hear this as well. I came on here to search for this exact thing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back