Looking for an Anthias “guide”

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish like wrasses and tangs, for example, have quite a bit of folks writing articles and sharing their extensive research about them. I’m curious if you know of any good articles or threads about anthias species.

Like which species get along with other species? Which ones are the less picky and hardier? Deep water vs shallow? How many are best to get for better odds? 1,2,3,5? Which species are bold with other fish and which are timid to only hide in rock and coral? Just a few questions but I’m interested in reading some good and helpful articles/forums. I’d like to make an educated decision on choosing the correct species for my system.

thanks!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which species are you considering ?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a great resource, maybe even just a difficulty chart if their is enough variance within them. I also would love to get some but have no idea what may fit my tank best, as such I am considering just a school of Chromis for my 167gal.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always found these articles interesting and helpful

The genus pseudanthias is split into 3 subgroups: franzia, pseudanthias and and mirolabrichthys. Mixing species within the same subgenus seems to work best, as they are similair in shape and group dynamic so can tolerate one another better, though ive been successful mixing franzia, which is known to be agressive, with mirolabrichthys, which are more delicate and docile so i guess it can come down to individuals and environment.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other anthias genera like luzonichthys, rabaulichthys seem to be more delicate, but ive no experience with them. The genus odontanthias appears to be hardy once settled from what ive read, with the blotchy anthias being most commonly available and also is sometimes offered captive bred. Theres also the genus sacura, which i believe is a slighly cooler water genus that is sometimes available.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borbonius is a pretty fish but I don’t really want to feed several times a day and I am not always able to find them where I am so yeah :(

I have to say though lots of deepwater Anthias are stunningly beautiful and we are still finding new species.

There’s this YT channel called Deep Sea Challengers that shows like really deep water fish caught off southern Japan and a number of their videos feature Anthias of different genuses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have several types and the randalls is the smallest and my most bashful
Orange and pin lyretails are active, feed well and out in the open most of the day
Square anthias semi-active and pretty, sort of picky with foods. . . Males can be bullies.
My personal favorites are the disbar, sunset, Ignitus, and Fathead Sunburst. Twice ive had a carberry chased until death possibly because theyre almost Too peaceful.
Bear in mind that anthias are actually part of the grouper family hence their feeding requirements and sometimes aggresiveness towards each other and the reason you want One male.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this conversation back. Seriously considering Bimacs after I saw them in person in a local reefers tank. Wow, how beautiful!

What are your thoughts on how many and aggressiveness towards other fish? I was thinking between 2-4. I’d just hate to spend nearly $100 a fish to watch them kill each other and it looks like they get pretty big.

My tank is a 5’ 120ish. I have 4 chromis and lunate wrasse that may be bullied by the anthias. The anthias will be my last fish, probably.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back