Looking for assistance in Interpreting Triton Test Results (SPS STN; GHA)

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

My SPS have been suffering from STN (all of them), so I performed a Triton Test and have received my results. A quick note; I've been battling GHA for the past few months, and I've almost won the battle (only a little left in the crevices of the rock). My STN started while I had GHA (maybe 2 months ago).

A little information about my tank:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system 91 Gallons
2. Net water volume 75 Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique? ( Balling method automated with GHL doser 2.1)
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor? No
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef Octo 150 INT
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Undetectable
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca=499; Alk=8.3; Mg=1325
10. What filtration method do you use? Skimmer & two filter socks changed when overflowing (about every three days)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Hydra 52HDs / 26HDs
12. What corals do you keep SPS and LPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Lightish
14. How long has the tank been running 7 months, 16 days
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) started with dry rock from reefcleaners, it's not man made, but was not live rock. Reefcleaners states they powerwash the rock to remove all dead organics before shipment
18. Any present problems hair algae, STN
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) hair algae isn't wild, but more of a fuzzy look to rocks. cyanobacteria mainly on back wall. random stn on sps frags
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) multiple test kits for everything
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) 500g of zeolites in vertex zeovit reactor, running 81 gallons/hour.
22. Other water parameters and water stability Temp 78 +- .5, very stable. Salinity 1.026
23. Which salt brand do you use Red Sea Salt (blue bucket)

Attached are my test results.

Today I've fed all my corals (spot feeding with reef chilli and reef frenzy while pumps are off). I have not done this in the past.

Any assistance in interpreting results would be helpful!

Cheers.

Screenshot (427).png

Screenshot (428).png

Screenshot (429).png

Screenshot (430).png

IMG_20170404_133909.jpg

IMG_20170404_133948.jpg

IMG_20170404_134003.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your no3 and the po4 is lowish.
Whats your Ph and the swing.
How much light do you have. On the sand and at the top.
On a acro or sps frag how much flow do you have in Inches per sec. (you can use your finger and say one one thousand).

the acro I see on the sand probably isn't getting enough flow.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeospur2. Stop dosing it. It will lighten and bleach your corals...purposely. Do you know what is in Zeospur2? Copper. It's watered down Copper for $40 a bottle.

I think you might see better results keeping a more simple system, dosing alk, mg, and calcium only.

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks to answer your questions:

around 100 par on the sand bed, and 350 on the tops of the rocks.
I'm running 2 mp40's on NTM. The flow seems pretty good, it's as high as I can have it without kicking sand everywhere. The polyps are blasting around pretty well.
I don't have an acro on the sand, I'm not sure which you're referring to.
attached is the PH values. The temperature probe seems to be off by about .6 degrees (lower), so the temperatures in the graphs should be increased by .6 ish

@-Logzor I'm not dosing zeospur 2. I'm dosing zeostart 3, which is a carbon source, and zeobak, which is bacteria. I also doubt that KZ would encourage dosing of copper unless you have evidence that points otherwise.

Screenshot (438).png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 is pretty low, usually undetectable or 1 (a hint of color). I use the red sea kit for testing.

The par is low because I have my lights turned down to 50%. I turned them down because things were fading / STN and I thought it was too high so I turned them down to slowly acclimate back up to a higher level. I use the apogee full spectrum par meter for reference.

I've been afraid to increase nutrient levels due to the GHA on the rocks. It's almost gone now, but I'm afraid if I try to raise the levels it will just spur the growth again. I'm in kind of a predicament.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 is pretty low, usually undetectable or 1 (a hint of color). I use the red sea kit for testing.

The par is low because I have my lights turned down to 50%. I turned them down because things were fading / STN and I thought it was too high so I turned them down to slowly acclimate back up to a higher level. I use the apogee full spectrum par meter for reference.

I've been afraid to increase nutrient levels due to the GHA on the rocks. It's almost gone now, but I'm afraid if I try to raise the levels it will just spur the growth again. I'm in kind of a predicament.
beef up the clean up crew. Get some nutrints in there.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-my-sps-are-paling-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/

Po4 @ 1.77 no3 @ 41
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-home-tank.296635/#post-3626579
how does he avoid algae? Herbivores.

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only thing you see within the triton test results that is of concern are the nutrient levels?

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching that as well. It appears that zeovit systems, or systems that run a specific kind of GFO, tend to high extremely high levels of barium.

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Thank you for the responses. I've read through the links you've provided "Help my SPS are Paling" and they provided a tremendous amount of knowledge. I've increased my NO3 to 3 ppm and my NO4 is at .025. Now for the waiting/monitoring game.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Thank you for the responses. I've read through the links you've provided "Help my SPS are Paling" and they provided a tremendous amount of knowledge. I've increased my NO3 to 3 ppm and my NO4 is at .025. Now for the waiting/monitoring game.
Glad I could help. In most cases ive seen its really about the basics.
As for the higher readings(and on lower) we' ll need a real chemist.

Good afternoon all,

My SPS have been suffering from STN (all of them), so I performed a Triton Test and have received my results. A quick note; I've been battling GHA for the past few months, and I've almost won the battle (only a little left in the crevices of the rock). My STN started while I had GHA (maybe 2 months ago).

A little information about my tank:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system 91 Gallons
2. Net water volume 75 Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique? ( Balling method automated with GHL doser 2.1)
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor? No
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef Octo 150 INT
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Undetectable
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca=499; Alk=8.3; Mg=1325
10. What filtration method do you use? Skimmer & two filter socks changed when overflowing (about every three days)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Hydra 52HDs / 26HDs
12. What corals do you keep SPS and LPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Lightish
14. How long has the tank been running 7 months, 16 days
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) started with dry rock from reefcleaners, it's not man made, but was not live rock. Reefcleaners states they powerwash the rock to remove all dead organics before shipment
18. Any present problems hair algae, STN
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) hair algae isn't wild, but more of a fuzzy look to rocks. cyanobacteria mainly on back wall. random stn on sps frags
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) multiple test kits for everything
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) 500g of zeolites in vertex zeovit reactor, running 81 gallons/hour.
22. Other water parameters and water stability Temp 78 +- .5, very stable. Salinity 1.026
23. Which salt brand do you use Red Sea Salt (blue bucket)

Attached are my test results.

Today I've fed all my corals (spot feeding with reef chilli and reef frenzy while pumps are off). I have not done this in the past.

Any assistance in interpreting results would be helpful!

Cheers.

Screenshot (427).png

Screenshot (428).png

Screenshot (429).png

Screenshot (430).png

IMG_20170404_133909.jpg

IMG_20170404_133948.jpg

IMG_20170404_134003.jpg
@Randy Holmes-Farley, Sir would you have a minute to look at this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back