Looking for corals that would be safe a with angelfish

Jrock84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I currently have a coral beauty angel, 2 picasso clownfish, a cardinal, and a rainbow bubbletip. I was interested in getting a koran angel, but I also wanted to get some coral and was wondering if and what kind of coral would be compatible if any. Really wanting to give my tank some color. Is this possible? I know for sure that I will be adding more bubbletip and some rockflower. Any advice please on whether any of this would be a good idea. Please let me know as I'm still fairly new and wanting to learn more.
I'm planning on setting up a new bigger tank sometime in the future. Sorry for the long post and many questions. This has become a hobby I'm obsessed with and want to do more research and get advice from more experienced readers.
Thanks~Crystal

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you are probably safe with just about any soft coral,LPS, and most SPS corals other than Acropora. I have had Korans, Queens and Emperors without any serious loss of corals including acros. However, much depends on the individual fish with, IMO, tank raised much less risky than wild caught. The other qualifier is that they are well fed.

OP
OP
J

Jrock84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you are probably safe with just about any soft coral,LPS, and most SPS corals other than Acropora. I have had Korans, Queens and Emperors without any serious loss of corals including acros. However, much depends on the individual fish with, IMO, tank raised much less risky than wild caught. The other qualifier is that they are well fed.
Thank you for your feed back! Much appreciated! I'm very new to corals, I was looking at some mushrooms and zoas, do you think they will fair easy?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything's fair game for an angelfish if it's bored or hungry. Since they don't have hands, and are curious, they will often mouth a coral to inspect it without doing real damage to it. I have coral in all my angel tanks, and they tend to leave it alone. I have other fish (like filefish) which tend to be much more destructive if given the chance.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feed back! Much appreciated! I'm very new to corals, I was looking at some mushrooms and zoas, do you think they will fair easy?
Mushrooms definitely and Zoa's probably. Suggest that you be cautious with mushroom placement as they can take over pretty easily.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try any coral and it will probably eat all of them. There’s not a specific coral that won’t get picked on

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Each fish is different, my Emperor leaves acros alone, doesn't touch blastos, chalices and most zoas. He ate my clams and a Trachy though.

It's one of my all time favorite fish so it's worth the trade off.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of when an angel fish will nip, it's a matter of when.

All angel fish nip corals, it's just how they are. Some are just more destructive, then the occasional "swim-by" nipping.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back