Looking for Fish recommendations for my first saltwater reef tank!

frankrizzo787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been in the freshwater world for years and I'm currently in the process of setting up my first saltwater reef tank. I purchased a Red Sea Reefer 200, 45Gallon display and 9 gallon sump so a total of 54 Gallons.

I'm definitely getting a pair of clowns and a small yellow tang (by the time the Tang gets too big for this tank ill have already moved him into a bigger tank) I'm looking for recommendations on great fish that will help maintain the tank

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Safe Wrasses are a popular choice for reef tanks. Gobies, firefish, blenny, cardinals are all good choices too.

I recommend you go on Liveaquaria.com and browse around. You can make yourself a more solid list of fish you like/are considering and post your stocking list here for some feedback/tips. Liveaquaria is great because it gives a quick rundown of all the fish size requirements, aggression levels and reef compatibility.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need a lid for the firefish. I'd also consider a dottyback and royal gramma.
Good point - the red sea reefer is rimless. A lot of saltwater fish can be jumpers when they're startled so you'll either have to get a lid (which you can make one out of mesh) or avoid the jumpers.

Also a big thing to consider is the order in which you add fish. Anything that might be more territorial/aggressive should go in later/last.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas are great for color attitude and mid water action
Lawn mower Blenny or related does well

If you really want a tang, a small bristletooth might be better

pairs of neon or willow lined gobies are great

Captive bred Splendid dotty back in my tank has not been an attitude problem

so many to choose from

Avoid a 6 line wrasse, many people will say

then the inverts!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back