Looking for help with an ID and treatment plan..

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Registered here for the sole purpose of seeking help.. LFS is fairly stumped.

The black clown started with a white patch over one eye. It has since spread to his chin and a small part of a fin. Unsure if it's fungal, bacterial or a parasite. I appreciate any and all advice.
clown1.jpg
clown4.jpg
clown2.jpg
clown3.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I am a bit stumped by this one.

Looks like lympho on the fins. The eye is more concerning. Have you given the fish a 5 min FW dip to see if you can provide any relief? The eye looks infected.

@4FordFamily @Humblefish

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I am a bit stumped by this one.

Looks like lympho on the fins. The eye is more concerning. Have you given the fish a 5 min FW dip to see if you can provide any relief? The eye looks infected.

@4FordFamily @Humblefish

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t tried a FW dip. I’m new to the hobby and this is my first issue so I’m learning a lot as I go here. I’ve been alternating myaplex and kanoplex (sp for both) mixed with focus in their food as I have coral and inverts in the tank.

I’m having serious issues getting the clown out of the tank because of the rockwork.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably take antibiotics in the water column to get this cleared up from the looks of it. You would only want to use antibiotics in a QT.

You might try a fish trap, they work pretty well.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably take antibiotics in the water column to get this cleared up from the looks of it. You would only want to use antibiotics in a QT.

You might try a fish trap, they work pretty well.

Thank you, is there an antibiotic and a fish trap that you recommend? Is the seachem antibacterial that I mentioned sufficient?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's either a Columnaris-like (Flavobacterium) bacterial infection or a rare marine fungal infection.

I would give the fish either a 90 minute Ruby Reef Rally bath (Acriflavine is very effective against fungus) OR a 60 minute Methylene Blue bath.

Afterwards you'll want to treat in QT with a ABX that has both antibacterial + antifungal properties:
  • Any of the sulfa drugs e.g. Sulfaplex or Triple Sulfa
  • Kanaplex + Furan-2 OR AAP Spectrogram
No matter which ABX you use, I would also add Metroplex to the mix because these are clowns so Brook could be the underlying problem.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's either a Columnaris-like (Flavobacterium) bacterial infection or a rare marine fungal infection.

I would give the fish either a 90 minute Ruby Reef Rally bath (Acriflavine is very effective against fungus) OR a 60 minute Methylene Blue bath.

Afterwards you'll want to treat in QT with a ABX that has both antibacterial + antifungal properties:
No matter which ABX you use, I would also add Metroplex to the mix because these are clowns so Brook could be the underlying problem.

Thank you very much, lots of big words that I am not yet familiar with. Out of the two bath options.. which do you recommend?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This man I will defer to always. I was thinking this one might actually be fungal as well, which is quite uncommon in marine fish. Thanks Bobby!

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update: I was able to get the clown into a QT. I dosed it with Kanaflex and saw results in less than an hour. The white (including on the eye) spots are almost entirely gone at this point. I'm going to give it two days and hit him with one more dose to play it safe.. but wow, that stuff worked fast. The Ruby Reef comes in tomorrow as does the other anti fungal. I'll likely do the 30 min bath before I return him to the tank on Monday.. if all goes as expected.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gideon2086 For Kanaplex to work that fast it has to be fungus. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting with bacterial infections and have no efficacy against viruses.

I would keep him in Kanaplex (dosing every 48 hours) for at least 10 days. It wouldn’t surprise me for small infections to pop up where the fungus was, so being in ABX is the best thing for him right now.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gideon2086 For Kanaplex to work that fast it has to be fungus. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting with bacterial infections and have no efficacy against viruses.

I would keep him in Kanaplex (dosing every 48 hours) for at least 10 days. It wouldn’t surprise me for small infections to pop up where the fungus was, so being in ABX is the best thing for him right now.
Doh, I put him back in the main tank. He seemed to be acting distressed in the QT. A QT tank will be safe for 10 days with just a heater and an air stone, correct? Sorry for the amateur questions - new to this.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh, I put him back in the main tank. He seemed to be acting distressed in the QT. A QT tank will be safe for 10 days with just a heater and an air stone, correct? Sorry for the amateur questions - new to this.

You will need to control ammonia either via water changes and/or Prime or Amquel.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once again, thank you. Unsure how that happened.. conditions in the tank are pristine. Weekly water changes, protein skimmer, oversized HOB filter...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back