Looking for help with disease ID and treatment (videos attached)

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, I have a brand new 200 gal tank waiting to get its first inhabitants and I decided to start quarantining 10 Chromis I got from my LFS.
I followed a quarantine procedure I found here including Copper Power and General Cure dosed to the water column as I couldn't get them eating treated food.
After a few days I noticed one of them developed a small bulge in the forehead but I didn't do anything since I thought Copper would take care of it.
Here is how it looked like

A few days later, the bulge was gone and the fish died soon after. After 2+ weeks I was left with 3 :(
The looked healthy so I did a transfer to a brand new copper free tank.
Unfortunately 2 days ago I noticed one of the remaining 3 developed another bulge.

Can anyone help me identify the disease and the proper treatment? Any way to avoid infecting the others?
@Jay Hemdal or any other experienced reefer's help will be greatly appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m not sure what that is. Uronema is really common in new green chromis, but these lesions don’t really resemble that. 7 out of 10 have died? I wonder if it is an acute bacterial infection? Are there any other fish in with them?

I’m really down on green chromis right now. I think the supply chain has gotten longer due to COVID, and this species just can’t tolerate it....so many people are losing entire groups of them.

Jay

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help Jay. 7 out of 10 have died.
They are/were my first fish after many years of being out of the hobby.
All tanks and equipment were brand new and no other fish are there.
I originally thought it was some sort of a cyst from which pathogens came out and that first fish infected the rest. But now that you mentioned lesions, I remembered that all the deaths happened a few days appart from each other. Also at the beginning everyone was feeding eagerly at the same time but after a while I noticed one of them became dominant and was "scaring" the rest during feeding time.
Maybe that one has been causing the lessons one by one?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help Jay. 7 out of 10 have died.
They are/were my first fish after many years of being out of the hobby.
All tanks and equipment were brand new and no other fish are there.
I originally thought it was some sort of a cyst from which pathogens came out and that first fish infected the rest. But now that you mentioned lesions, I remembered that all the deaths happened a few days appart from each other. Also at the beginning everyone was feeding eagerly at the same time but after a while I noticed one of them became dominant and was "scaring" the rest during feeding time.
Maybe that one has been causing the lessons one by one?
Yes - that could be. For a normally "schooling species" green chromis do fight a lot. That said, the location of the lesions aren't quite where I'd expect to see them from fighting.

Personally, I'm not acquiring any green chromis right now, unless I get the larger ones from Tahiti. Pre-quarantined might be an option for you - the high mortality I see happens in the first 45 days, so that would be mostly on the dealer then.

Jay

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that could be. For a normally "schooling species" green chromis do fight a lot. That said, the location of the lesions aren't quite where I'd expect to see them from fighting.

Personally, I'm not acquiring any green chromis right now, unless I get the larger ones from Tahiti. Pre-quarantined might be an option for you - the high mortality I see happens in the first 45 days, so that would be mostly on the dealer then.

Jay
Thank you very much Jay!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back