Looking for Ideas for hiding a sump that can't fit in stand.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all... I spent nearly twenty years on another forum that seems to have stagnated as of late, so here I am. I'm starting a 120 gallon soft coral dominant reef as a sort of an upgrade from a 75 gallon reef that was banished to an unfinished basement after a move to a new house. Because it was out of the way, I rarely saw it beyond quick feedings and sporadic maintenance. My wife, with helpful lobbying from the kids, gave me permission to set up the reef in the living room. I already owned a 120 stand bought off craigslist for 40 bucks years ago, so I used that as an excuse to purchase the 120 as a "fatter" version of the 75.

So, the 75 gallon was running a 40 breeder sump right on the floor. I couldn't fit it through the openings in the new stand unless I did a bit of disassembly, which I didn't want to do. I was thinking about putting the sump next to the stand, on the floor, hiding it in something that looks like furniture - a chest, or attractive box with trim that easily opens perhaps. I have woodworking tools and could easily build it, but was looking for a bit of inspiration. I could go with a much smaller 20 gallon long sump, but I think that might push it with regard to possible power-off overflow flooding. Any ideas?

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are handy with the wood-working why not build a "treasure chest" type structure … open in the back for tubes, wires and such, and an easily removable lid (arched … for skimmer height) for service/observation.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're comfortable building something... why not go all-in on the idea of the box near the tank, and instead upgrade it to a full-height cabinet for all your aquarium supplies? Put the sump in the bottom of the cabinet (with as much vertical room as you'd like to make it easy to access and work in), a work surface on top, and storage cabinets up top? Or if you don't need the work surface, you could just make the top of it a whole mess of storage.

OP
OP
E.J.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. The side of the display tank is about 25 inches away from a perpendicular wall, and the other side close to a sofa, so I think the chest idea would work. I'll just beautify it with trim, handles, etc. It would be a tight fit, but certainly better than an ugly sump right in the open.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a though since you are encasing a sump. Don't build a box and put the sump in it. Build a box, without a bottom that you can slide over the sump. You could make it strong enough with supports, but skin it with thin wood since it would be decorative. Make it look nice, but don't spend much since sumps tend to be moist salt creepy places. I had a small 12 gallon tub in a enclosed kitchen cabinet that was a really moist rusty place.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, This is the best excuse for a new BIGGER tank and stand with bigger sump if I have ever heard one.

I would say go with a 450 gallon tank and a fish room, just demo the kitchen and order in pizza for the kids every night.

OP
OP
E.J.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, This is the best excuse for a new BIGGER tank and stand with bigger sump if I have ever heard one.

I would say go with a 450 gallon tank and a fish room, just demo the kitchen and order in pizza for the kids every night.
I wish you wrote this before I bought that 120 gallon tank. Oh, well... I still have a kitchen, a wife, and savings, so all is good.

OP
OP
E.J.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a though since you are encasing a sump. Don't build a box and put the sump in it. Build a box, without a bottom that you can slide over the sump. You could make it strong enough with supports, but skin it with thin wood since it would be decorative. Make it look nice, but don't spend much since sumps tend to be moist salt creepy places. I had a small 12 gallon tub in a enclosed kitchen cabinet that was a really moist rusty place.
I know this thread is old, but this is exactly what I ended up doing. I built a base for the sump to keep it off the floor and a three-sided open back box that slides over it. Thanks for the tip.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all... I spent nearly twenty years on another forum that seems to have stagnated as of late, so here I am. I'm starting a 120 gallon soft coral dominant reef as a sort of an upgrade from a 75 gallon reef that was banished to an unfinished basement after a move to a new house. Because it was out of the way, I rarely saw it beyond quick feedings and sporadic maintenance. My wife, with helpful lobbying from the kids, gave me permission to set up the reef in the living room. I already owned a 120 stand bought off craigslist for 40 bucks years ago, so I used that as an excuse to purchase the 120 as a "fatter" version of the 75.

So, the 75 gallon was running a 40 breeder sump right on the floor. I couldn't fit it through the openings in the new stand unless I did a bit of disassembly, which I didn't want to do. I was thinking about putting the sump next to the stand, on the floor, hiding it in something that looks like furniture - a chest, or attractive box with trim that easily opens perhaps. I have woodworking tools and could easily build it, but was looking for a bit of inspiration. I could go with a much smaller 20 gallon long sump, but I think that might push it with regard to possible power-off overflow flooding. Any ideas?
Why not make the sump a display in itself and put it next to the tank or just a bit lower on its own stand? You could do a planted saltwater tank, FOWLR, Mantis tank with a skimmer compartment or even drop another sump below that sump for your ATO, skimmer, and heater.

to quote Xzhibit: “I heard you like sumps dog so we got you a sump for your sump.”

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tip for hiding it:

Put the sump on the floor next to your tank. Then place a hand-written sign next to it that says, "Not a Sump!" (with an arrow ---->)

Ahahahha! :p Sorry, but I couldn't resist... Welcome to R2R, we are glad to have you, and you will find great suggestions here. Ones much better than mine. Enjoy your tank, and Best Wishes!

OP
OP
E.J.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tip for hiding it:

Put the sump on the floor next to your tank. Then place a hand-written sign next to it that says, "Not a Sump!" (with an arrow ---->)

Ahahahha! :p Sorry, but I couldn't resist... Welcome to R2R, we are glad to have you, and you will find great suggestions here. Ones much better than mine. Enjoy your tank, and Best Wishes!
I should also place a sign above the display that says "Not expensive." That should put my wife at ease.

OP
OP
E.J.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not make the sump a display in itself and put it next to the tank or just a bit lower on its own stand? You could do a planted saltwater tank, FOWLR, Mantis tank with a skimmer compartment or even drop another sump below that sump for your ATO, skimmer, and heater.

to quote Xzhibit: “I heard you like sumps dog so we got you a sump for your sump.”
That sounds appealing. And if the setup were still in our basement, I'd likely do it. I'm just happy that my wife let me move everything to the living room, so I didn't want to push my luck. I went with the aforementioned encased sump on the floor.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back