OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is on my 150 that I just set up this last weekend, will post more pics of the sump filled and running along with some videos of it.

Attachments

• 150 gal.jpg
    150 gal.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 52
  • reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 48

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can address some of the concerns regarding bulkhead sizes and filters socks by doing what Fijicube does. The bulkhead area where the lines come in is removable and came with plates for 1" and 3/4" on my sump. Also, the area where the socks are has a plate for socks or a media basket. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
IMG_2464.jpeg

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can address some of the concerns regarding bulkhead sizes and filters socks by doing what Fijicube does. The bulkhead area where the lines come in is removable and came with plates for 1" and 3/4" on my sump. Also, the area where the socks are has a plate for socks or a media basket. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
IMG_2464.jpeg
I thought they only made nice all in one systems prior to today, cool to see that they make sumps! So in response, my crash chamber is 2 x 1" bulkheads, that are screwed into lids that sit flush on lips CNC'd into the rim, seem to have prevented salt creep/splashing quite well. I may opt for thumb screws though because lets be real, that looks clean. Also, my filter sock/bio ball area does have a 12.5" lid for it as well, only chambers that are fully open to air is skimmer and return, refugium has a partial 4"x 12" lid in back for the 3rd 1" bulkhead build into the rim. My original design has removable filter sock plates (I have changed them several times since, I want to install a little handle on the plate for ease of use)

Like that sump, their use of thumb screws in areas interests me. Thanks for sharing

I do like their skimmer cutout, but how to they accommodate different skimmers compared to an open chamber?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually working on extending it to 40"L x 20"W x16"H for a larger model that goes from 3x 1" bulkheads like the current to 3 1 1/2" bulkheads, no doubt my cost would be right at or below around $350. Would move the return and ATO to the end and refugium to the middle after skimmer chamber w/ bubble trap

My return section is 9" x 9" x 11", should I opt to go even bigger?

Actually to address an earlier comment you made, it seems to dirty the socks at an equal rate with the way it is set up, but they do need to be raised a little and that was modified in the file for the post prototype build, would be easy for me to modify the chambers a bit more to fit in a roller mat or nothing at all. The filter sock holder is already removable quite easily, I do it every 2 days so far.

Good to know the Fiji is what I should be living up to, I have a 3 x 1" drains and a 9" return chamber so far, I will check to see what I can possibly improve without out right stealing someones design

Yes thank you for the PM! I got into contact with a local vendor on some of the colored acrylic, just waiting back on them

You've been a huge help pushing improvements, thank you! I do genuinely appreciate it

I think your return section size is plenty big enough, so I would not go any larger on it. And as for Fiji Cube being the standard, I'm not saying that since I've not seen one in person, let alone used one, but they were one of the only sumps out there that had the 3x 1.5" drains and a large-ish return section.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they only made nice all in one systems prior to today, cool to see that they make sumps! So in response, my crash chamber is 2 x 1" bulkheads, that are screwed into lids that sit flush on lips CNC'd into the rim, seem to have prevented salt creep/splashing quite well. I may opt for thumb screws though because lets be real, that looks clean. Also, my filter sock/bio ball area does have a 12.5" lid for it as well, only chambers that are fully open to air is skimmer and return, refugium has a partial 4"x 12" lid in back for the 3rd 1" bulkhead build into the rim. My original design has removable filter sock plates (I have changed them several times since, I want to install a little handle on the plate for ease of use)

Like that sump, their use of thumb screws in areas interests me. Thanks for sharing

I do like their skimmer cutout, but how to they accommodate different skimmers compared to an open chamber?

I think they made the cutout in regards to biggest skimmer you'd most likely be running on a 20g sump like mine. My skimmer is actually oversized a little bit for a 60g cube but it's DC so I can dial back.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it up and running for a couple days now, I am working on a basket instead of it's current removable holder for the marine balls. Also, the ATO wasn't too difficult to fill, I did have the lid fitted with a second 1/2" hole for a float valve to be fitted to a quick disconnect for an RODI line, manual filling it isn't too hard either. Still opting to move the return and ATO to the end.

Not to be a snob because I used to do this the same and understand the appeal, but I will never use Kalk in my ATO again ((did for a year) and tell others now not to. I dealt with my tunze 3155 dosing different amounts every day, being used more than normal on a hot summer day, and it caused a huge alk spike on 2 different occasions. The day I went with All for Reef one part from Tropic Marine, I saw growth on my sps within weeks that I had for years from Reefapalooza. Kalk should only be used in a reactor, just my personal opinion though and that does not mean anyone who chooses to do this is wrong :) Just lost some of my favorite coral to that and wanted to improve.

If you have an ATO for the ATO from the RODI, then thats cool!

sassy glasses GIF by Channel 7

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an ATO for the ATO from the RODI, then thats cool!
I think he means his RODI is connected directly to his sump ATO chamber. I have my RODI connected to a 25g ace roto mold container and that is in turn connected to my sump via the ATO and it works really well.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means his RODI is connected directly to his sump ATO chamber. I have my RODI connected to a 25g ace roto mold container and that is in turn connected to my sump via the ATO and it works really well.
Yes thank you for clarifying, I am not aware if that is how people usually set up their ATO container in their sump like I do

Back