Looking for input on an idea for cooling tank water

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been considering a chiller for the tank I'm planning to set up soon and from what I've read so far it seems like it's something to avoid using if you can. With that in mind I had the idea that I could create a closed loop and have it piped under my house and buried underground since it's always much cooler underground. I figured that it would be best to use large diameter pipe to prevent any clogs. I would also add ball valves on both ends of the loop so I can close it off during the winter for cleaning and maintenance. If I can do it cheaply enough then I'd probably use actuating valves in place of ball valves so I could have my controller open and close the loop when it's needed. I'll definitely be connecting the pump to my controller so that it only runs if the tank is getting too hot. I know this wouldn't cool it very quickly but, as I've heard many people in this hobby say, nothing good happens fast in an aquarium. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever tried this and if more experienced people think it will work. I'd also be interested in hearing your ideas on how I might improve this idea

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the country and have what seams like unlimited water so I put a 100’ coil of 1/4 RO line in my sump and used an apex solenoid to control the flow and just ran cold tap water through the coil. My tank was 10’ long and 560 gallons and I was running 2 8 bulb Ati fixtures with a full canopy and it was amazing how fast it cooled my tank. I’m sure it would work doing what you say but you’ll need to burry lots of line. Personally I’d use something like 1/2 poly pipe or pex. How do you plan on exchanging the heat?

OP
OP
blackadonai

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I was thinking I could just bury maybe 10' of 2" pipe and let it passively cool. I like your suggestion for 1/2" poly tubing. I actually have access to as much poly tubing as I could want as long as it's 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2". Considering your advice I'll probably grab 100' or so of 1/2" poly instead of the 2" pipe I was thinking of using before

OP
OP
blackadonai

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I plan on doing a build thread as soon as I get all the parts together. I'll be building a custom stand and sump. I'm probably going to try doing an all glass sump using a 20g with a another 20g as a separate refugium. The only part of the sump I'm not confident I can make out of glass is the filter sock holder

OP
OP
blackadonai

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be sure to post a link to my build thread here as soon as I get it started

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back