Looking for male radial filefish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 'bonded pair' of Biota radial filefish through Live Aquaria/Divers Den about three years ago. They were wonderful fish and settled in with no problems, mostly staking out a green Sinularia as their home territory but foraging throughout my tank. After about six months they started intermittently breeding with the female ferociously guarding the eggs. They seemed to be doing great, but quite unexpectedly about a month ago the male died. I noticed him swimming very strangely one day, as if partially paralyzed, and he soon died, so I suspect he was somehow injured or possibly stung.

Since the male died, the female has become much less active and of course there is no longer the behavioral interaction between the two or egg laying/guarding. I would like to regain the interesting behaviors and provide some companionship for the female. Is it possible to specifically order a male, and if so would it likely pair with my female, or are they 'choosy' in their pairing?

Thank you.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jmp998,

They aren't too "choosy" but a size discrepancy might be an issue. They typically aren't very aggressive towards conspecifics but I could see a scenario where the remaining female feels it's her territory especially after laying and guarding eggs. I would suggest introducing the new male to the environment with an acclimation box or divider to have the best success.

We'll be happy to send you over a male, unfortunately, we sold out of our current stock last week. But I just asked our team in Palau when we'd be getting their next shipment in and I'll update you ASAP. It shouldn't be too long.

Until then if you put notifications on for the restock here https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/radial-filef you'll get an email once we add new radial filefish to our inventory.

OP
OP
J

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you! I will set up the notification. I would rather wait a month or so for the weather to become more mild before ordering anyway. I have an acclimation box and will try it as you suggest.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back