Looking for New tank recommendations been out of the game a while please help

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’ve been out of reefing for a while but finally built a new house and have the perfect place for a tank. Since I’ve been out of reefing I’ve seen some new companies mostly water box and I don’t have much info on them I kinda searched and have seen some tank builds but I was hoping to get feedback from everyone on different custom tank manufacturers who they would recommend and even some of the companies like water box and any others. I don’t want an aio I’d rather have a sump since it will be in my living room. Also if it matters I’m not looking at a huge tank something around 80-120 gallons. Possibly even a little smaller. My goals is softies some Lps and 3-4 fish small cleanup crew. Maybe a frag style or a longer narrower tank so there’s more swimming room and little more depth.

Thanks reefers, Tom

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox and red sea seem to be some.of the most popular and the peninsula style is very popular . Not sure on your budget but possibly red sea 250 it's about 60g

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply I was hoping to hear about some of the custom manufacturers since I know there’s a few of them as well but water box is appealing somewhat since it’s a one stop shop for a tank and stand

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no shortage of companies that can handle a tank like that, especially if you want a matching stand, sump, etc. - red sea reefer, innovative marine, waterbox. Most of these tanks are in standard dimensions like a traditional 75, 90 or 120g.

If you want to do in-wall or custom everything, then there is a different set like custom aquarium, glass cages, etc. that will make you exactly what you want.

There are a few that have come and gone that I am forgetting the names of, or have not used personally like Planet Aquariums. I have one with a plywood bottom and glass sides that I am forgetting the name of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no shortage of companies that can handle a tank like that, especially if you want a matching stand, sump, etc. - red sea reefer, innovative marine, waterbox. Most of these tanks are in standard dimensions like a traditional 75, 90 or 120g.

If you want to do in-wall or custom everything, then there is a different set like saltwater aquarium, glass cages, etc. that will make you exactly what you want.

There are a few that have come and gone that I am forgetting the names of, or have not used personally like Planet Aquariums. I have one with a plywood bottom and glass sides that I am forgetting the name of.
I was thinking there would be a good place to search to find info about the custom tank builders but I didn’t have to much luck looking around yet. Thank for the post hopefully people chime in with some more specific tank builders would be awesome

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get some fanboys that recommend what they use. I gave you a pretty good list to start. Anything that you don't like about those half-dozen ish companies that I listed? "custom reef aquariums" in google comes up with a few pages of viable companies.

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to do in-wall or custom everything, then there is a different set like custom aquarium, glass cages, etc. that will make you exactly what you want.

You will get some fanboys that recommend what they use. I gave you a pretty good list to start. Anything that you don't like about those half-dozen ish companies that I listed? "custom reef aquariums" in google comes up with a few pages of viable companies.
I hear you there. I just remember previously some of these companies having catastrophic leaks and like water box was hit and miss with quality. I do remember glass cages and I think there reputation has improved now also like miracles i know use to be good but with shipping from Canada that’s gunna be really pricey. I didn’t know if there were some newer custom tank manufacturers or some I’d forgotten about I find you get the most honest response from people that have bought and owned the tanks. Few years ago it was 50/50 with miracles Red Sea and nuvo which is why I still consider custom tanks. Thanks for the reply just trying to gather information and learn about what’s been happening while I’ve been on hiatus

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters, I planned a new 12x4x3 tank and I was going to use customaquariums with the standard frame. I have not done this yet, so no actual experience. I don't like acrylic, so this is who I came up with for glass.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any opinions on custom tanks or what waterbox quality is like now days
@Lonelyreef Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations

the right choice is your choice. Try to enjoy this part of the journey. Wish you the best!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lonelyreef Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
13. Tank Me USA
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations

the right choice is your choice. Try to enjoy this part of the journey. Wish you the best!
I am a big fan of number 13. Gaston is a fantastic tank builder. Good Luck

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any opinions on custom tanks or what waterbox quality is like now days
I like Red Sea. Not custom but high quality. Red Sea built a new manufacturing facility of their own recently that they own because they were unhappy with the quality of the sub-contractor and its facility.

WaterBox is now sub contracted and manufactured at the old Red Seas facility.......

Fact

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you there. I just remember previously some of these companies having catastrophic leaks and like water box was hit and miss with quality. I do remember glass cages and I think there reputation has improved now also like miracles i know use to be good but with shipping from Canada that’s gunna be really pricey. I didn’t know if there were some newer custom tank manufacturers or some I’d forgotten about I find you get the most honest response from people that have bought and owned the tanks. Few years ago it was 50/50 with miracles Red Sea and nuvo which is why I still consider custom tanks. Thanks for the reply just trying to gather information and learn about what’s been happening while I’ve been on hiatus
Where in WI are you located? I'm in the Madison area.

Are you looking for rimless, rimmed, or eurobraced? Flat against the wall or peninsula out into the room?

I recently did a tank upgrade to an 80 gallon lagoon style (4 foot x 2 foot footprint x 16 inches tall), and I absolutely love it (pics and videos in my build thread). I got a rimmed tank used, because I find that I'm looking more at the contents of my tank than the aesthetics of the box itself, and rimmed was a LOT more affordable than rimless.

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Red Sea. Not custom but high quality. Red Sea built a new manufacturing facility of their own recently that they own because they were unhappy with the quality of the sub-contractor and its facility.

WaterBox is now sub contracted and manufactured at the old Red Seas facility.......

Fact
Interesting

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
13. Tank Me USA
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations

Thanks a lot for the info

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in WI are you located? I'm in the Madison area.

Are you looking for rimless, rimmed, or eurobraced? Flat against the wall or peninsula out into the room?

I recently did a tank upgrade to an 80 gallon lagoon style (4 foot x 2 foot footprint x 16 inches tall), and I absolutely love it (pics and videos in my build thread). I got a rimmed tank used, because I find that I'm looking more at the contents of my tank than the aesthetics of the box itself, and rimmed was a LOT more affordable than rimless.
This was actually the same reef tank I first had it was a deep blue with a corner overflow was a really awesome tank easy to light etc. What manufacturer did you go with? I actually live in Watertown and use to go out o the mars frag swaps but when I’ve looked on the website seems like mars and Wisconsin reef society has kinda died not much interaction and barely any posts. Seems like I will have to make reef2reed my new home once I get started. I was actually looking for a nice used tank before but I just haven’t found Anything so figure I will just do a new tank. Only bad thing about the current situation is shipping and everything being expensive.

OP
OP
Lonelyreef

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the posts one thing I really liked about miracles tanks was the overflow being behind the tank giving me more space inside they actually made the weir teeth right into the back piece of glass it was such a clean look but then it was also away from the wall quite a bit more of like to keep this one a little more snug.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back