Looking for one stag to dominate my tank. What would you recommend?

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah i have a few spathulata in my collection and yours corralite and growth patterns look like mine

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an aspera if it's maricultured from Bali, like the base plug suggests. Spathulata are not maricultured yet, hopefully one day soon. I am pretty sure they found a cool spath in Bali but it only comes in one color and hasn't been collected from what I have heard and seen.

Op, I would focus more on the growth formation that your wanting since you will have so much room to fill. There are blue slimers out there too if you look long and hard. The purple's are ok and grow huge base branches after they get big. A lot of these suggestions are not true staghorns either but most are nice none the less. Any stag that's red will have some green in it as well, does that put you off?
I second the vote from therman on say you should get an abrotranoides though, beautiful pink, red and green base with huge thick short branches.
Also aspera, Formosa and hoeks are very nice and you can get them in a few colors. Austera are fairly green when grown into a big colony and their tips are not a true yellow like ora and wwc say. Unless you use a few techniques to manipulate the color some. Unless placed in a good random strong flow I wouldn't go for one. They can look cool when grown in high flow with nice tightened short growth.
I would stick to what you have seen before already grown out and not buy a named new piece in hopes of it being a nice one.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an aspera if it's maricultured from Bali, like the base plug suggests. Spathulata are not maricultured yet, hopefully one day soon. I am pretty sure they found a cool spath in Bali but it only comes in one color and hasn't been collected from what I have heard and seen.

Op, I would focus more on the growth formation that your wanting since you will have so much room to fill. There are blue slimers out there too if you look long and hard. The purple's are ok and grow huge base branches after they get big. A lot of these suggestions are not true staghorns either but most are nice none the less. Any stag that's red will have some green in it as well, does that put you off?
I second the vote from therman on say you should get an abrotranoides though, beautiful pink, red and green base with huge thick short branches.
Also aspera, Formosa and hoeks are very nice and you can get them in a few colors. Austera are fairly green when grown into a big colony and their tips are not a true yellow like ora and wwc say. Unless you use a few techniques to manipulate the color some. Unless placed in a good random strong flow I wouldn't go for one. They can look cool when grown in high flow with nice tightened short growth.
I would stick to what you have seen before already grown out and not buy a named new piece in hopes of it being a nice one.

Thank you! Yes, I'm avoiding green because I will have 3 SPS total in the tank, letting them grow out a lot. I've already decided on one that will be green, so the stag has to be some other color. I want to make sure 2 out of the 3 corals aren't going to be green. Purple/Red would make sense as a complimentary color I guess.

The growth pattern should be long and stag horn like. It'll give a good contrast with a digitata and a tighter growing acro. Something that stretches upwards, and is less dense, with big branches.

These are all beautiful! This thread has become less of a "what should I get," and a more: "wow look at this great collection of photos people are posting." =)

I'll probably make a list of what I think would look good, and search around for availability.

It's fun limiting myself to 3 corals. It's less impulse, more research, and I think will be more rewarding at the end.

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my pic but a good one! Green Slimmer.

upload_2017-9-18_10-34-42.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some great options in this thread! I am particularly interested in the ones that have been posted that are in the red and blue categories. :)

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copps’ Turquoise Hoek or green slimer. There is also Ultimate Stag in the center right.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Robin does not grow like a stag, does anyone have pictures of a Red Robin that does?

This is an older thread so did @kinetic pick out a stag, and do you have any updates? :)

I agree with avoiding the slimer. Been there, done that, finally got sick of it and trimmed it down. Stags I still have that I think are decent choices:

Light blue hairy Horrida. This particular one was wild caught but you can see the growth pattern which I think is common for all horridas.
MAfTUki.jpg

This is my Red Robin, it prefers to grow out, not up, which is why I don't consider it a stag.
EZyz6Ul.jpg

ORA Miami Orchid (middle of the pic, just below the yellow tail damsel). This isn't the showiest coral but the color is unique.
PMT5Xq4.jpg

Back