Looking for opinion on aquascape

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the start of my aquascape. Looking for opinions/criticism (constructive). After I took these pics I starred a second structure on the right side. Just hadn't taken pictures yet.
I'll be adding some offshoots to this main structure, but they won't be any higher than the main structure.

20211206_223127.jpg 20211206_223133.jpg 20211206_223140.jpg 20211206_223147.jpg

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it going to be a bare bottom tank? A lot of hardscapes just "grow" as you add more corals etc. and seldom end up the same. Just keep readjusting. Also, don't go much higher, I made that mistake once, unless your only having bottom fish. Fish like tangs and cardinals damsels, etc like swimming room. Also, if you are going to have corals, they wil grow upward or you will keep adding rock to get them closer to the top and more surface area. Looks like a good start.

I have never been happy with any tank I've done until I've had to tear it down...and then the next tank is never as good as the one before.

OP
OP
D

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Looks good. Remember hiding spots and caves are good for fish. Its a safe zone for them
It's a 40b.

Is it going to be a bare bottom tank? A lot of hardscapes just "grow" as you add more corals etc. and seldom end up the same. Just keep readjusting. Also, don't go much higher, I made that mistake once, unless your only having bottom fish. Fish like tangs and cardinals damsels, etc like swimming room. Also, if you are going to have corals, they wil grow upward or you will keep adding rock to get them closer to the top and more surface area. Looks like a good start.

I have never been happy with any tank I've done until I've had to tear it down...and then the next tank is never as good as the one before.
I will have sand on bottom. This is the highest the rock work will be.

I'm the same way with never being happy with my aquascapes. I'm trying to take my time with this so I'm happy with it.

The big archway isn't sitting right with me. Thinking of adding a bit in front of it to visually break it up a bit. Shown by red lines in pictures. Right now it's all just tacked together with thick ca. Once I'm happy I'll strengthen the bonds.

Attachments

• 20211207_013505.jpg
    20211207_013505.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211207_013204.jpg
    20211207_013204.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
D

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put more where you have shown in red. The sand will fill the gap remember as you put rock in first then sand, not other way around. This is my new scape with arches ect.. 1638860728711916855954355671323.jpg

I was thinking of something like what you have in the second picture where the piece in front breaks up the arch behind it.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any critter caves? What are your plans for placing coral? I don't see much in the way of either. Just being honest.... It looks "artsy" to me. While it looks great not so sure it will serve you long term. Then again I'm more partial to shelves and lots of overhangs. Easier to place things and gives fish places to feel safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any critter caves? What are your plans for placing coral? I don't see much in the way of either. Just being honest.... It looks "artsy" to me. While it looks great not so sure it will serve you long term. Then again I'm more partial to shelves and lots of overhangs. Easier to place things and gives fish places to feel safe.
Was looking at that this morning and figured out a couple of spots to make caves.
For placing coral.. glue them to the structure. Not really sure what your meaning.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contrary to popular belief there is no such thing as to high.

is the tank going to be viewable from front and back or only the front?
my preference is to go diagonal (looking down) back to front/right to left or left to right
and sloping down from top to bottom on one side.

you're too far along to be making major changes is my guess.
take a look at my build thread page one for the structure, last page for a vid.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but I think as you’ve said, maybe a little more rock in front of the arch so it sort of flows down and away as natural as you can make it.

Maybe a few similar and smaller pieces along the same lines on the other side

When I designed my scape I tried to make everything look as natural as possible but of course it’s very much a personal preference

Anyway make sure you post the final shots for our approval !lol

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but I think as you’ve said, maybe a little more rock in front of the arch so it sort of flows down and away as natural as you can make it.

Maybe a few similar and smaller pieces along the same lines on the other side

When I designed my scape I tried to make everything look as natural as possible but of course it’s very much a personal preference

Anyway make sure you post the final shots for our approval !lol
i should have asked that too.
what are you trying to accomplish with your scape?

OP
OP
D

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contrary to popular belief there is no such thing as to high.

is the tank going to be viewable from front and back or only the front?
my preference is to go diagonal (looking down) back to front/right to left or left to right
and sloping down from top to bottom on one side.

you're too far along to be making major changes is my guess.
take a look at my build thread page one for the structure, last page for a vid.
Tank will be viewable from front and sides. Front will be main view, right would be partially viewable, left would be if you really wanted to you could.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back