Looking for opinions on my 20g long DIY sump

scubaden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I cut my acrylic sheets I was hoping to get some options of the current layout.
20170122_135140.jpeg
20170122_135129.jpeg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make more room for the skimmer and less for the fuge. I have my fuge first so I can have the water level near the top and then for the skimmer section it's lower for the skimmer water level. It's probably better for the skimmer to go first, but I realize my fuge isn't going to create a ton of pods with the reasonable size it is, so I just grow chaeto in it and whatever pods grow, great. Check out the video from macna where Julian sprung debated Jake Adams, it changed my view on how effective my fuge really was.

Also consider light for the fuge making algae in the skimmer body, real pain and wish I had considered that.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...x28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=3bZ7Ec2_1OJTWO79LUKz8g

IMG_20170120_101757.jpg

OP
OP
S

scubaden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info and the video. I just finished watching the video and boy do I have a lot to think about. I can see both points, am I wrong with saying that maybe it would just be better to lose the fuge section and just use the 20g tank for equipment (skimmer, heaters, maybe some carbon bags...etc)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what you're trying to fit in there. I would look at skimmer footprints, they're larger than you'd think and water height is important. Mine runs between 6-8 inches, so weirs of that height are important. I would prioritize what you want to put in there. I have a decent sized chaeto area which I think does a good job at nutrient export, but I would consider it skimmer my highest priority. What equipment do you have to fit in there?

OP
OP
S

scubaden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list of equipment would be:
Skimmer (I believe it is a coralife)
I was thinking 2 fluval heaters
A filter sock
The return pump (didn't purchase yet)

Most of my equipment I got from a friend that moved to Florida, so I have to do alot of guessing on what models most of my equipment is (kind a sucks).
I have access to a piece of black acrylic would it make sense to use that to block some of the light coming from the fuge?

OP
OP
S

scubaden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 400 fluval canister filter that I'm currently using until my sump is done. Would it make sense to continue to use it after the sump is up and running.

Back