0   0   0
New tank.. need corals

IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG

dugaldb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Martinsburg here. Not exactly new at the hobby but still manage to feel like a rookie all the time. :)

10g. i need to take newer pictures.

50763121-94B9-40B4-9F7C-C1250A529DE0.jpeg

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in charles town. As for lfs, I'm not sure of anything local barring the ranson petco has a small saltwater section, but seems good for a petco. They have a couple reefer employees. For dry goods, saltwateraquarium.com is normally next day or 2 day on free shipping.

Fintastic in frederick has been hit or miss on stocking, but not bad. Some of their systems have aptasia, so check the frag.

The coral dragon in Strasburg has i wide variety of nice corals. They largely do facebook auctions, but also eBay, and limited in personal hours.

I checked out winchester fish and pets when I drove through last time. Was not impressed. This is the only one I wouldn't bother swinging by even if I was there. Freshwater selection seemed good, but I have shut down my fw tanks

Blue ribbon, think its near manassas was good last time I was there, but that was a couple years ago.

Capital aquariums is in Rockville/Bethesda. Never seemed to have things i wanted, but some people seem to like it.

Reef escape in fairfax quarantines fish and I had good luck when I lived near there.

Here are my current tanks.
20220317_111125.jpg

20220318_191708.jpg

20220106_135928.jpg

Attachments

• 20220304_143709.jpg
    20220304_143709.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 36

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in charles town. As for lfs, I'm not sure of anything local barring the ranson petco has a small saltwater section, but seems good for a petco. They have a couple reefer employees. For dry goods, saltwateraquarium.com is normally next day or 2 day on free shipping.

Fintastic in frederick has been hit or miss on stocking, but not bad. Some of their systems have aptasia, so check the frag.

The coral dragon in Strasburg has i wide variety of nice corals. They largely do facebook auctions, but also eBay, and limited in personal hours.

I checked out winchester fish and pets when I drove through last time. Was not impressed. This is the only one I wouldn't bother swinging by even if I was there. Freshwater selection seemed good, but I have shut down my fw tanks

Blue ribbon, think its near manassas was good last time I was there, but that was a couple years ago.

Capital aquariums is in Rockville/Bethesda. Never seemed to have things i wanted, but some people seem to like it.

Reef escape in fairfax quarantines fish and I had good luck when I lived near there.

Here are my current tanks.
20220317_111125.jpg

20220318_191708.jpg

20220106_135928.jpg
THANK YOU

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU
You're welcome. Now that it isn't late, there are a few other options depending on how far you want to drive.

Centreville aquarium is an ok shop for fish, but corals are pricey. Last time I checked, they carried LRS, rods, hikari, SF bay, and ocean nutrition. It is almost always fresh. When I lived in fairfax, this was my go to for frozen and ocean nutrition foods.

House of Tropicals in ?Glen Bernie? was a very large fish store. Only time I visited was fall of 2020, so can't say for certain how they actually are in normal times. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area. Many rave about them, but that was pre the world freaking out.

Supreme Reefs in springfield. Tends to have higher end corals. Prices are high compared to coral dragon. But can find some deals and less common pieces. They have a wall of fish, but 75% of the store is dedicated to corals. (Actually, now that I think about it, they moved. This is going by their previous shop, but I suspect the same business model.)

Getting far, but nova tropicals in dale city looked very presentable when I was there. My main thought was clean. Bought my Seaopora 80 from there on black friday sale. Didn't focus on prices when I was there.

If you are heading to the eastern shore, the petco in Denton MD off 404 normally has well cared for stock.

I have not been there yet, but thatpetplace around york, pa is supposed to be cool. Next time I'm up that way, I plan on swinging by.

Now for my bread and butter, craigslist/facebook marketplace and some others. There are often local reefers that you can get some amazing deals from. I know a few in the rockville area, fairfax proper, stafford, just north of richmond, glen bernie, calvert county, and baltimore. I have managed to find some amazing deals like $200 homewrecker, $60 walt disney, zoas, euphylia, and so on. Some post on R2R. I take note of their usernames if they post a for sale. Then when you are nearing ready for the corals, send a PM. "Hey, you are local to me and I saw you had XZY previously. Could we work something out with local pickup?" This is the only way I can justify some of the higher price tag pieces. You also tend to get larger chunks relative to many online vendors. You can also find a $5/10 monti or whatever if you are trying to get into a type that you are not sure if your tank will support.

With that, I lived in Nova for the last 7-8 years and am from southern MD and family all down 81 in VA, so I explored those areas a lot. There may be more shops north or towards baltimore, but I have not explored there yet.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. Now that it isn't late, there are a few other options depending on how far you want to drive.

Centreville aquarium is an ok shop for fish, but corals are pricey. Last time I checked, they carried LRS, rods, hikari, SF bay, and ocean nutrition. It is almost always fresh. When I lived in fairfax, this was my go to for frozen and ocean nutrition foods.

House of Tropicals in ?Glen Bernie? was a very large fish store. Only time I visited was fall of 2020, so can't say for certain how they actually are in normal times. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area. Many rave about them, but that was pre the world freaking out.

Supreme Reefs in springfield. Tends to have higher end corals. Prices are high compared to coral dragon. But can find some deals and less common pieces. They have a wall of fish, but 75% of the store is dedicated to corals. (Actually, now that I think about it, they moved. This is going by their previous shop, but I suspect the same business model.)

Getting far, but nova tropicals in dale city looked very presentable when I was there. My main thought was clean. Bought my Seaopora 80 from there on black friday sale. Didn't focus on prices when I was there.

If you are heading to the eastern shore, the petco in Denton MD off 404 normally has well cared for stock.

I have not been there yet, but thatpetplace around york, pa is supposed to be cool. Next time I'm up that way, I plan on swinging by.

Now for my bread and butter, craigslist/facebook marketplace and some others. There are often local reefers that you can get some amazing deals from. I know a few in the rockville area, fairfax proper, stafford, just north of richmond, glen bernie, calvert county, and baltimore. I have managed to find some amazing deals like $200 homewrecker, $60 walt disney, zoas, euphylia, and so on. Some post on R2R. I take note of their usernames if they post a for sale. Then when you are nearing ready for the corals, send a PM. "Hey, you are local to me and I saw you had XZY previously. Could we work something out with local pickup?" This is the only way I can justify some of the higher price tag pieces. You also tend to get larger chunks relative to many online vendors. You can also find a $5/10 monti or whatever if you are trying to get into a type that you are not sure if your tank will support.

With that, I lived in Nova for the last 7-8 years and am from southern MD and family all down 81 in VA, so I explored those areas a lot. There may be more shops north or towards baltimore, but I have not explored there yet.
Thank you again.
I lived in Baltimore 8 yrs ago.
There used to be Aquarium Center in Reisterstown that was great for fish.
House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie is not a place I would likely buy much - tanks are a mess.
That Fish Place in Lancaster PA is a warehouse - some hardware stuff but seems to be odd brands, the fish room is big but definitely quarantine.
Exotic Aquatics in Perry Hall closed.
If you are on the Eastern Shore - look into Pacific Aquaculture.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back