Looking for Reef Hobbyists in Wappingers / Beacon / Fishkill / Poughkeepsie area

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just as the title says, I'm hoping to meet Reef and Freshwater hobbyists in Wappingers Falls, Beacon, Fishkill, Hopewell, Cold Spring and Poughkeepsie, to trade / tank sit / build a support network and maybe plan a tank crawl for local hobbyists.

Little about myself, I am currently running a 120 gallon mixed reef, with an emphasis on SPS coral as well as a 50 gallon frag / aquaculture system.

Please introduce yourself and share a little about your setup here.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a post about what looks to be a hobbyist level frag-swap in Westchester in mid-September, but they didn't post an address.

A user here runs a business that he does meetings at I think the last Sunday of every month. From what I gather he's on the west side of the Hudson.

Could be good places for you to meet the local hobbyists.

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be in Pine Bush dutch. It would nice to know who is reefing locally . I'm in for a local gathering , if any others are.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks dutch. There's definitely some cool stuff going on, over in Pinebush. I was able to make it to one of the swaps. Very cool setup. Looking forward to attending more, if they do any.

I'm on the same page as sponge, really aiming to know who is around in my immediate vicinity. We all need a bit of quick assistance when in a pinch and it's nice to be able to network, trade and talk shop with people in your neighborhood.

So please do chime in, if you are in the area.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Putnam County. I’d come out for a get together.
We used to have monthly meetings and some great events a few years back.
It’s a shame that the club deteriorated.
It started with a couple hobbyists getting together. Maybe it’s time for a revival if there are enough people interested.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Putnam County. I’d come out for a get together.
We used to have monthly meetings and some great events a few years back.
It’s a shame that the club deteriorated.
It started with a couple hobbyists getting together. Maybe it’s time for a revival if there are enough people interested.

dang mark didn't think you were still around in the hobby.

I'm back at it. Over in Hamlett of Wallkill. I'm like 20-25 minutes from Beacon. Been to the meetings over in Pine Bush, guy Michael doing them is a great guy but we haven't been getting great turn outs.

Always seemed like even back in the hay day the majority of folks were on your side of the river.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank Adam or did you go with something new?

That would be in Pine Bush dutch. It would nice to know who is reefing locally . I'm in for a local gathering , if any others are.

What’s up Benny. Nice to see that you are still reefing.

Who wants to host a meeting?

It sounds like Matt has a an established tank worth showing off. How about it Matt?

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still in it for the long run, I have three tanks going,16 reef biocube, 95 wave reef, 150 rock and fish, I am willing to help a local fellow reefer with any type of cabinet work if needed,
I remember the meeting I had had a huge turn out!

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Tony! It’s starting to feel more like the HVRK.

Would you be interested in hosting a meeting Tony?

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss the old club, never forget the first time I went to your house Mark for my first meeting ,just incredible your collection of tanks and the high-quality they are kept at.
I would be open to hosting a small meeting in the future, I do not want to step on anyone’s toes who are really trying to show off high-quality set ups ,
my tanks need work LOL

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Tony! It’s starting to feel more like the HVRK.

Would you be interested in hosting a meeting Tony?

Nah man a lot has changed in almost 10 years lol. I bought my first home, 180 was too big downsized to 100 Gallon with Deep Water Butterflies and SPS. That tank went to hell due to an unquarantined fish. Sold it all off and kept my remaining clownfish that survived in a 29 biocube for like 8 years.

Just recently back in February we sold the original house and bought this new one which has the space I need. So I started getting back into everything, I have a 60 Cube up since February that I moved the biocube over from. just put the first SPS Frags in a couple weeks ago. I'm refinishing the basement, installing a custom 300 Gallon 8' Reef, hoping to at least have the tank ready for water by winter.

Jay is starting a tank up soon, Ross is telling me the same. We got enough to get the OG's back together. You on facebook or instagram?

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all congratulations on the house.

300 gallons is an ambitious project. Make your water station as easy as possible. Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation and air exchange.

I have an unfinished basement below my tank, but haven’t done anything because I need an exhaust fan. I get lazy emptying the dehumidifier and I don’t want to ruin the furnace.

The last time I spoke to Ross he had an all in one tank. Jay’s kid must be getting bigger now. I figured I would reach out to Ross if we had a meeting. It would be nice to see Jay. Maybe Randy, Benny and Adam will come. I still talk to Stacey on FB but he’s in Florida now. I’ll reach out to Chris as well.

We need a host to have a club meeting.

My main tank is an aiptasia forest right now. I didn’t do a water change for over a year. My nice SPS colonies took the hit, but a few corals survived. Mostly what Chris fragged for me. His stock was bullet proof.

I’ll host when my Burghia hit critical mass and clean out the tank. I also have vermetid snails that I need to manually remove.

I have a short acro list, mostly ORA, ready to go once I remedy these two problems.

Nice to see club members still passionate about this hobby.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a lot of long-timers! Nice to see some action here. I'm in for a get-together. I could probably host again, if there is not a better offer.

My tank turned 20 this summer, and I built a new little frag tank last year. The "paludarium" is still up and running as well, and the old gecko (had him for 16 years!) still resides there.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great Randy. If anyone else wants to host a future club meeting just pick a month that you are interested in and we can flesh out a yearly calendar.

Look at your calendar Randy and pick a date that works for you.
Randy is in Stormville in case anyone needs to check the distance from where you live.

If you intend on coming reply here and include what you would like to bring.

I hope you all can come out and help us revive this great club. Having people to collaborate with makes this hobby more fun and more accessible. Being a part of HVRK allowed me to develop my reef tank to a level that I never would have reached sitting behind my computer on my own.

Guest list
————-
Mark - dessert (some kind of cake or pastry)

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another blast from the WAY past here!!! It's been some time, not sure if any of you remember me but I was active with HVRK over 10 years ago and even hosted a meeting at my parents house in Scarsdale (I know its in Westchester :p ). Anyway I bought my home in Scarsdale and started a reef project over a year ago, still battling the new tank issues but depending on where you guys try and meet up I would be in for a ride to see some familiar faces!

Hope everyone is well

Chris

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you Chris. We met up in a fish store, where was it, Elmsford? And you were looking for a big Angel, was it a blue faced or an Emperor?

We’ll catch up at the meeting if you can make it.

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you Chris. We met up in a fish store, where was it, Elmsford? And you were looking for a big Angel, was it a blue faced or an Emperor?

We’ll catch up at the meeting if you can make it.

Yup, exactly! Was an emperor and that was when I was doing my FOWLR that eventually turned into my mixed reef. That was a LONG time ago, good memory Mark, lol.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all congratulations on the house.

300 gallons is an ambitious project. Make your water station as easy as possible. Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation and air exchange.

I have an unfinished basement below my tank, but haven’t done anything because I need an exhaust fan. I get lazy emptying the dehumidifier and I don’t want to ruin the furnace.

The last time I spoke to Ross he had an all in one tank. Jay’s kid must be getting bigger now. I figured I would reach out to Ross if we had a meeting. It would be nice to see Jay. Maybe Randy, Benny and Adam will come. I still talk to Stacey on FB but he’s in Florida now. I’ll reach out to Chris as well.

Oh man you have to get over here and see this set up I got going lol. Sump pit dug right into the fish room floor. Everything drains right to the sump and pumps out to the municipal sewer. Dehumidifier, Auto Water Change,etc. Running Dehumidifier down there when needed now, only had to run it in the spring. Once the tank is up I have a huge butt exhaust fan I'm installing in one of the basement windows. That'll be wired to a humidistat to handle any excess humidity.

The entire house was a gut job reno so EVERYTHING utility wise is brand new, I'm being extremely anal with controlling humidity and moisture down there. That's the one thing I can't stand when you walk into a house and you feel like you're inside the darn tank because of the humidity lol.

I am down to host whenever you guys want to come by. Local guy Michael who owns a tank maintenance company has a get together last weekend of every month as well. Good group there but all new folks, only old school hobbyists that show up there is myself, Bennie, and Stan.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back