Looking for Research Articles Supporting Aquaculture or in situ Coral Mariculture as a Solution for Wild Collection (need to be analytical)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm finishing my final 2 or 3 terms of university and for one of my classes I have to meet 1 on 1 with the dean of the university (who actually chose to teach part of this particular course) which involves identifying an issue and formulating a solution (which can be a novel solution or existing solution) to a problem. To do this we have to deconstruct and analyze peer reviewed scientific papers pertaining to a personal interest. I chose to promote aquaculture and in situ mariculture of live rock and coral as a solution to ease pressures on coral reef ecosystems from exploitation of marine organisms for the aquarium trade. I've already had my first personal meeting with her and received a 5/5 for my analysis of the research and she says my solution sounds solid. However, I'd like to find research pertaining to benefits of live rock or coral maricultured to support my solution.

My ultimate goal would be to implement in situ mariculture of corals and live rock along with the aquaculture of fish here in Thailand. As things currently are, Thai reefs are being extensively damaged by excessive tourism which the economy relies upon. Implementation of such a practice could not only offer environmental benefits but economic incentives as well (and even assist restoration efforts).

If anyone is aware of any peer reviewed scientific studies pertaining to benefits of in situ mariculture in particular I'd be very grateful and interested in reviewing them. I'd love to discuss this further with anyone who may have questions or be interested in what I'm trying to do as well.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep and guess what ,it already is where alot of our livestock comes from
not sure what your local laws are, ,here in the usa its pretty strict what we can take from the ocean.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back