Looking for Santa Monica surf 4 or 4x scrubber review

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Space constraint making me look into Santa Monica Surf 4 or 4x scrubber . Has anyone used them and how’s the review ? Mostly could find reviews a little old and hence wondering how do they stack up against a waterfall scrubber ?

regards,
Abhishek

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Space constraint making me look into Santa Monica Surf 4 or 4x scrubber . Has anyone used them and how’s the review ? Mostly could find reviews a little old and hence wondering how do they stack up against a waterfall scrubber ?

regards,
Abhishek
I have the surf 8x and love it. I harvest algae about once every three days from each side. Since installing it, I have not experienced any algae on rocks or sand. Only need to clean glass weekly. It is well made and sturdy. Of course IMO with an algae scrubber, when you look at it you think you could have made it yourself for much less. Feel free to ask anything else. The picture attached was after one week. Can take a pic tonight if it would help.

8B90052F-15CE-48AF-949E-FFBBE58B6B84.jpeg

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the surf 8x and love it. I harvest algae about once every three days from each side. Since installing it, I have not experienced any algae on rocks or sand. Only need to clean glass weekly. It is well made and sturdy. Of course IMO with an algae scrubber, when you look at it you think you could have made it yourself for much less. Feel free to ask anything else. The picture attached was after one week. Can take a pic tonight if it would help.

8B90052F-15CE-48AF-949E-FFBBE58B6B84.jpeg
The 8x will be too big for my system :D
Want to know if you had a chance to measure the phosphates and nitrates after installing and harvesting it ? Also what pump do you use ?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8x will be too big for my system :D
Want to know if you had a chance to measure the phosphates and nitrates after installing and harvesting it ? Also what pump do you use ?
Thought I would chime in since a the surf 4/4x is hall of the 8 . Nitrates typically run in the 15 ppm range and phosphates 0.04 ppm. The system I use it on it a large fish only with about 25 fish ranging from 6-16”. Other filtration includes filter socks, a fluidized bed reactor and a downdraft skimmer.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@sp1187 which version do you use?

I went with the icecap but with I would have gotten 2 of the 4x4 for the space I have.

From what I've heard and seen Monica is the way to go....want to buy my icecap for cheap hahahah just kidding it works well also.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went with the icecap but with I would have gotten 2 of the 4x4 for the space I have.

From what I've heard and seen Monica is the way to go....want to buy my icecap for cheap hahahah just kidding it works well also.
I've got a SM SURF4X.
if I end up doing the frag build I'll be getting another one.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would chime in since a the surf 4/4x is hall of the 8 . Nitrates typically run in the 15 ppm range and phosphates 0.04 ppm. The system I use it on it a large fish only with about 25 fish ranging from 6-16”. Other filtration includes filter socks, a fluidized bed reactor and a downdraft skimmer.
Thats quite a feet my friend ! Yeah you have a fish only system am very envious of . I would gladly sell all my acroporas if I could keep a large tank and only butterflies :D
I've got a SM SURF4X.
if I end up doing the frag build I'll be getting another one.
Thank you for the reply. May I ask what model of pump do you use ?
I havent seen the bubbles in action but wondering how well do they perform in reducing nutrients

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I looked into Icecap but its waterfall I have no space :(

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats quite a feet my friend ! Yeah you have a fish only system am very envious of . I would gladly sell all my acroporas if I could keep a large tank and only butterflies :D

I havent seen the bubbles in action but wondering how well do they perform in reducing nutrients
This is the air pump I use

Attachments

• 3B3C0827-6A8E-4CC3-BBA3-C19F0A2C27E0.png
    3B3C0827-6A8E-4CC3-BBA3-C19F0A2C27E0.png
    357.7 KB · Views: 87

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pump is a Danner AP-8. they work good for nutrient reduction in most cases.
I feed very heavy, so it can't keep up with what I got going on.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump is a Danner AP-8. they work good for nutrient reduction in most cases.
I feed very heavy, so it can't keep up with what I got going on.
Feeding heavy is my problem too as I easily go through 4-5 packs of LRS and 2 flat packs of hikari mysis a month in a 160 gallon system with 25 + fishes and only acros .. If it cannot keep up , I might need to look into other solutions

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine suspended which helps but admittedly it is in my basement so I don’t care much.
had mine suspended also.
and in the basement. oh wait.... my tanks in the basement too. :D
I found it got very hot also.
The Danner is a lot quieter.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Btw I just added a pair of Red Sea raccoons and a pair of Aurigas to the main display and they have quickly become some of my favorites!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding heavy is my problem too as I easily go through 4-5 packs of LRS and 2 flat packs of hikari mysis a month in a 160 gallon system with 25 + fishes and only acros .. If it cannot keep up , I might need to look into other solutions
you running a skimmer?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back