Looking for Santa Monica surf 4 or 4x scrubber review

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no interest in the turbo Rev models?

corey
If I was buying a waterfall type scrubber I’d probably go with a TA for it's profile and great reviews. But I like that the Surf models require no extra head room on top or to the side of the sump. Zero chance of overflowing. And super easy to clean. Unfortunately there are very few reviews on this scrubber and almost none on YouTube. The few I've seen are positive. Then the Surf 4 was on sale at Premium Aquatics last week for $424.99 so I pulled the trigger. The waterfall type scrubbers rated for 4 cubes a day are quite a bit more expensive, especially when you factor in the pump and tubing/piping. That being said they are a proven design. Only time will tell if it was a wise investment.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea that the surf model can't flood your floor. My cheaper waterfall style scrubber had an incident that resulted in 1.023 SG.

What setup from SM would you all recommend on a 75 gallon with 2 larger fish, 4 smaller sized fish. Feeding regimen is typically 1 cube frozen mysis daily and 2 spins twice daily from the eheim auto feeder of nls pellets on a low food door opening setting. The tanks always had a hair algae problem but I feed to keep the coral happy. Nutrients artificially minimal. The front section of the ruby cube 20 trigger sump is 19 x 7 inch.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the surf 8x and love it. I harvest algae about once every three days from each side. Since installing it, I have not experienced any algae on rocks or sand. Only need to clean glass weekly. It is well made and sturdy. Of course IMO with an algae scrubber, when you look at it you think you could have made it yourself for much less. Feel free to ask anything else. The picture attached was after one week. Can take a pic tonight if it would help.

8B90052F-15CE-48AF-949E-FFBBE58B6B84.jpeg
Is it still working well for you? I am looking into a combo of a SM HOG 3xx and a Surf4x.
Feeding heavy is my problem too as I easily go through 4-5 packs of LRS and 2 flat packs of hikari mysis a month in a 160 gallon system with 25 + fishes and only acros .. If it cannot keep up , I might need to look into other solutions
Yeah this my issues on my 220. Did you end up going with the SM?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back