OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I just added a pair of Red Sea raccoons and a pair of Aurigas to the main display and they have quickly become some of my favorites!
I love red sea raccoons . I lost my small one although it ate half of my JF Homewrecker on day 1 and rest was finished by my klein's

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding heavy is my problem too as I easily go through 4-5 packs of LRS and 2 flat packs of hikari mysis a month in a 160 gallon system with 25 + fishes and only acros .. If it cannot keep up , I might need to look into other solutions
you have herbivores?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. Will the surf 4 remove a noticeable amount more over the hog
the fuge and the scrubber, regardless of which, will just compete for nutrients against each other.
and I never sized out a hog. the surfs are based on how many cubes you feed...roughly. not sure if the hogs are also sized that way.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fuge and the scrubber, regardless of which, will just compete for nutrients against each other.
and I never sized out a hog. the surfs are based on how many cubes you feed...roughly. not sure if the hogs are also sized that way.
Correct but have plenty to give. Fuge alone not cutting it running 16 hours.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thing with the SURF, it grows herbivore food. my foxface and spot tail blenny love this stuff.
ALGAE011119.jpg

or you can grow chaeto in it.
SURF4X BOX.jpg

it's also a pods hotel.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro’s and con’s between surf and hog. Reason I ask is with hog I can still have a fuge.
IMO all Santa Monica scrubbers will give you good results. He just builds the four different styles to fit your tanks space limitations. If sized appropriately the all work well.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SM recommends the tetra whisper 300 air pump for their floating 4x model. Its only 7.5 watts. I think the vivosun in the first page is over 100 watt. Any reason to go for a much higher watt pump? I'm all for having effective equipment at low operating costs.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SM recommends the tetra whisper 300 air pump for their floating 4x model. Its only 7.5 watts. I think the vivosun in the first page is over 100 watt. Any reason to go for a much higher watt pump? I'm all for having effective equipment at low operating costs.
Great thread. I just received my Surf 4 yesterday. The Surf 4(x) requires a pump that can deliver at least 10 total liters per minute according to SM. They recommend TWO Whisper 300s for the Surf 4(x). I'm having a hard time finding out what Whisper's L/M is. They state that the Danner AP-8 which is just short of the 10 L/M will work well. I settled on the EcoPlus Supreme Air Pump 4 Outlet 640L/H - 8 Watt 143 GPH for $10 cheaper than the Danner AP-8. It looks identical to the AP-8 but is rated for slightly more L/M at just over 10 L/M. My guess is it's the same pump with a different label on it. The Surf's permanent home will be in the sump of a Nuvo 150 Lagoon scheduled for delivery in May. In the meantime, I i'm gonna throw it on my 220 mixed reef just to see what happens. I don't have any algae issues with that tank though so it won't be a true test of it's capabilities.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how yours works and what the noise level is like from the ecoplus supreme pump. Ideally I can drop in a floating scrubber and power it with a low wattage pump like that and have minimal noise. That would be awesome!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back