Looking for some Unique Swimmers to add to my system

ShawnS1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current display is an IM 150ext and is slowly becoming a mixed reef. I’m looking for some colorful swimmers to add. Thoughts have been

Tilefish ( I do have the net top, but my zebra darts all somehow jumped through the top)

Maybe Anthias

Gobies

looking for something out of the box…

Current Residents:

Super Storm Clown pair
Hectors Goby pair
Giant Star Blenny
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
Pintail Fairy
Orange Shoulder Fairy

Tank runs @ 77.5-78 degrees
Mixed Reef with frags at the moment.
Feeding 1-3 times a day with a mixture of : Mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, Reef Nutrition ROE , Arctic Pods and Benipets. Nori 2-3 times a week.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current display is an IM 150ext and is slowly becoming a mixed reef. I’m looking for some colorful swimmers to add. Thoughts have been

Tilefish ( I do have the net top, but my zebra darts all somehow jumped through the top)

Maybe Anthias

Gobies

looking for something out of the box…

Current Residents:

Super Storm Clown pair
Hectors Goby pair
Giant Star Blenny
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
Pintail Fairy
Orange Shoulder Fairy

Tank runs @ 77.5-78 degrees
Mixed Reef with frags at the moment.
Feeding 1-3 times a day with a mixture of : Mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, Reef Nutrition ROE , Arctic Pods and Benipets. Nori 2-3 times a week.
captive bred sharknose/neon goby: pretty chill confident carnivores/cleaners. They are like more relaxed, hardy cleaner wrasses, and may clean your tangs.

Some kind of watchman and pistol (draculas w randalls if you are feeling fancy)

Mandarins (if you are able to grow pods, setup a fuge, etc.)

Scissortail Dartfish or some other dartfish (jumpers, some have some special feed requirements)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a kamahora fang blenny a few days ago. Very interesting fish! It likes to hover in one spot, always moving its tail like a snake, and darts around with extreme precision. It’s like a mix between firefish and blennies.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it fight with the star blenny?
I would imagine that the two are different enough to avoid fighting or competing with each other.
So far mine ignores the orange spot blenny it’s with.
I’d maybe choose a more colorful fang blenny though so the black starry blenny doesn’t see it as much of a competitor.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish are excellent however if you get the wrong species it won’t do great as it’ll undergo too much stress. Here’s my old guy (I have a whole thread on this guy).
they’re stunning in person and this shows why tilefish need lids - The thread I have on this guy also goes through the reasons in much more depth. My Hoplolatilus chlupatyi was a stunner and really attracted everyone due to the unusual swimming pattern and big eyes. I don’t recommend this with the fish you have though - They really need a peaceful/lower semi-aggro introduction and tank. IMHO the only tang I would have a H. chlupatyi with is one on the mild end from Ctenochaetus I.E. tominiensis, Binotatus, Flavicauda.
F8144BAD-B2E1-4B15-9963-E6E60FE5B4A0.jpeg
C0966B27-A23D-4A30-A2FB-AA46ED700E8E.jpeg

The others should be alright though.+1 on a wrasse - Maybe look into Pseudojuloides and Macropharyngodon?

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue jaw trigger they are characters and you won't find a more personable fish mine follow me and the way they swim is crazy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be some info here that can help you!

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some one mention midas blenny wich I would second as a unique swimmer. Or a couple yellow assessors they tend to swim upside down.

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a flame hawkfish. Great color and interesting habits. Won't bother anything you have. They also don't get over about 3.5 inches . I kept one with my large angels, tangs and triggers for 10 years.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blue green Chromis. They are all over the tank and never shy. They don’t bother anyone else in the tank and always school together.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back