Looking for someone who has been here, advice welcome.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Speciesonlytank

Kidding aside, I’d have fun having a shot at trying to fix it. Load it with peppermints or berghias (see if your LFS will give you a bulk deal on purchase). At a minimum, the peppermints will have to eat a place to stand on the rock

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afraid the basslett will destroy peppermints. I had a dozen or so hermits to in one day and only had empty shells and little red and blue legs drifting along the bottom glass the next morning. havent been able to catch him, and it just stresses everyone out when i try.

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! How did it get that bad? I have maybe 3-4 in my tank that I treat with aptasa X and its slowly reducing the numbers after a few weeks of hitting them.
It started with just one. aptasia x, then I had 40. now its 4000. Been through six bottles of aptasia x and two of F aptasia

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its a 190 gallon, i put 16 nudies a month ago. Jeff at reeftown.com hooked me up beautifully, even threw in one for free. They went in never to be seen again... my file fish is useless, eats his body weight in pods(im guessing), but definately not aptasia.
LFS said to sell back the fish and dump in 100 or so peppermint shrimp. Or they would also trade me pound for pound rock but dry.
The problem is that you way underused the number of Berghia nudibranchs. In order for them to 'work' they have to find each other to breed and lay eggs, etc. This can take weeks/longer to see results.

"

At least 1 Berghia per 10 gallons or 2 Berghia per 10 Aiptasia plus one or more per additional 10 Aiptasia for a small infestation, but NEVER less than 2 pair of Berghia. Berghia NEED each other to Hunt, Feed & Breed. If you're not sure, it's best to overestimate rather than underestimate.
2It is important to realize that Berghia are COLONIAL HUNTERS, COLONIAL FEEDERS & COLONIAL BREEDERS. Therefore, it is important to keep them together and assure there are enough Berghia to be able to find one another for breeding. It is necessary to have several Berghia attack a large Aiptasia at the same time in order to successfully eat it. A single Berghia may spend hours circling and attacking a large Aiptasia and unsuccessfully gain access to it, when several Berghia will circle and attack it together until it's eaten. Further, the Berghia you are adding are the breeders. It's their successive generations that will be your success. That is why we recommend the Medium Berghia, as at that size and age they are laying eggs every 1-3 days.
3For several groups of more than 10 Aiptasia, a large colony of 8-10 Berghia are needed as Aiptasia multiply quickly. It may take several generations to build a large enough Berghia colony to completely eradicate an Aiptasia infestation.
4The more Berghia you start with the faster they find each other to lay eggs and the larger the colony becomes. Thus the faster the Aiptasia infestation declines and your aquarium becomes Aiptasia free."

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that you way underused the number of Berghia nudibranchs. In order for them to 'work' they have to find each other to breed and lay eggs, etc. This can take weeks/longer to see results.

"

At least 1 Berghia per 10 gallons or 2 Berghia per 10 Aiptasia plus one or more per additional 10 Aiptasia for a small infestation, but NEVER less than 2 pair of Berghia. Berghia NEED each other to Hunt, Feed & Breed. If you're not sure, it's best to overestimate rather than underestimate.
2It is important to realize that Berghia are COLONIAL HUNTERS, COLONIAL FEEDERS & COLONIAL BREEDERS. Therefore, it is important to keep them together and assure there are enough Berghia to be able to find one another for breeding. It is necessary to have several Berghia attack a large Aiptasia at the same time in order to successfully eat it. A single Berghia may spend hours circling and attacking a large Aiptasia and unsuccessfully gain access to it, when several Berghia will circle and attack it together until it's eaten. Further, the Berghia you are adding are the breeders. It's their successive generations that will be your success. That is why we recommend the Medium Berghia, as at that size and age they are laying eggs every 1-3 days.
3For several groups of more than 10 Aiptasia, a large colony of 8-10 Berghia are needed as Aiptasia multiply quickly. It may take several generations to build a large enough Berghia colony to completely eradicate an Aiptasia infestation.
4The more Berghia you start with the faster they find each other to lay eggs and the larger the colony becomes. Thus the faster the Aiptasia infestation declines and your aquarium becomes Aiptasia free."
Yeah, 16 medium nudis, all about 1/2 inch. They went into the tank together, in the same cup. I assume they stayed together. It was 6/24 or so. I would have liked to get many more, but they were rather expensive. Not sure Ill add more as I never saw them again, not a single one. I look most every night, all I see are stomatella snails, too bad they dont eat aptasia, I have them by the pound.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trust me on this- get yourself a kleini butterfly BUT MUST be a blue face not the yellow…… it will eat aptasia like candy and quickly. Best of all is, they’re colorful , peaceful and eat every food you offer
I have one and it bothers no coral. I had two but one vanished while in the sump

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, 16 medium nudis, all about 1/2 inch. They went into the tank together, in the same cup. I assume they stayed together. It was 6/24 or so. I would have liked to get many more, but they were rather expensive. Not sure Ill add more as I never saw them again, not a single one. I look most every night, all I see are stomatella snails, too bad they dont eat aptasia, I have them by the pound.
I never saw them again after I added them - but the Aiptasia disappeared within a couple months (I did not have as many as you - I put 20 in a 105 gallon)

OP
OP
R

Romeo Kilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A28231B8-1962-4E60-8ADF-6B8E996765C0.jpeg
EBE01250-E765-4BDC-9156-70110125243D.jpeg

Back