Looking for stocking ideas for well-established 10g and 50g tanks

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to add some fish to my tanks but can't seem to decide what's right.

My IM 10 tank is currently fishless with just a candy cane pistol shrimp, a pom pom crab, a few snails, and lots of softies and LPS. Large bristleworm population that makes me worry about smaller critters.

1) I am thinking about getting a new goby for the shrimp but not sure what kind might be appropriate. Had a yasha before but might like to try something different.
2) Alternatively, it might be more fun to have a fish that's actually out and about instead of hiding in a cave all day but I'm not sure if there are many 10g compatible fish that are also active swimmers. I thought maybe a Tail Spot Blenny or Rainford goby? Is there a small damsel that could work?

The 50g lagoon is 2 years old and currently has a pair of spawning Mocha Clownfish, a Pink-Streaked Wrasse, a Red Lined Wrasse, a Midas Blenny, a tiger pistol shrimp, a Peppermint Shrimp, a CUC of hermits and snails, and fairly well established SPS, LPS, and softies, lots of microfauna (amphipods etc).

Fish considerations are:
1) Rainford Goby
2) Pajama Cardinal trio
3) Some type of shrimp goby (Yellow Watchman, Orange Spotted, Orange Striped - any input on why one of these is better than another?)

The tank is very peaceful with the exception of the clowns who can go full exorcist if anyone gets too close to their eggs (except the pink streaked wrasse - for some reason that fish is invisible to them) but they are otherwise generally good natured and surprisingly friendly with their tank mates.

Both tanks just feel like they are missing something and I'm looking to add the right fish to bring more life to the reefs.

Thanks for any input!

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wrasse would love those bristle worms! And clownfish are always good and diamond gobies are my favorite. A blue damsel could definitely fit in a 10 gallon with like one other small fish.

I wish I could think of something that would enjoy those bristleworms and not also want to potentially snack on the critters that are supposed to be there. I suspect the pistol shrimp pops them regularly and I was amazed to see my pom pom crab eating small ones. Not sure what's sustaining the population, I think they must be eating each other!

I really do like gobies, I think high priority to get at least one goby for each tank.

Hopefully we get a break in all this heat soon so it's safe to ship.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish I could think of something that would enjoy those bristleworms and not also want to potentially snack on the critters that are supposed to be there. I suspect the pistol shrimp pops them regularly and I was amazed to see my pom pom crab eating small ones. Not sure what's sustaining the population, I think they must be eating each other!

I really do like gobies, I think high priority to get at least one goby for each tank.

Hopefully we get a break in all this heat soon so it's safe to ship.
An arrow crab eats them too! But in terms of the size of the tank it seems a bit small for one.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An arrow crab eats them too! But in terms of the size of the tank it seems a bit small for one.

I'm picturing this giant arrow crab in the 10g tank sitting right next to me...there was a thread here a while back about things in your tank that creep you out. Stuff of nightmares right there! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back