Looking for submersible pump to use to refill tank after water changes

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gal AIO tank that is tall and I'm short... I've been getting on a step ladder for water changes and I am considering a submersible pump to refill the tank after my water change. My tank is new-ish, about 10 weeks, and I'm doing weekly 5 gallon changes. It's a struggle to pour the new water in without disrupting everything and making a mess, so I think this is my best bet. What do you guys recommend for this purpose? I would like something inexpensive since I'm only going to use it for a few minutes a week, and once my tank is more established it will be even less frequent. Thanks!

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the head height (from bottom of container to the highest point you're pumping the water to. Then find a pump rated for that height. The smaller the pump, the longer your wait. I find mag drives to be very reliable submersible pumps that can push against head pressure. You can get one in almost any size. Probably mag 3 or mag 5 for you. These are sold as pond pumps as well. They are the same thing.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TMC ATO, fits in my 5 gallon jug/ container takes 8 minutes to do 5 gallons with zero effort
Fitting in the 5 gallon jugs would be a plus. My alternative is to transfer to a bucket and then pump into the tank. I will check all of these out, thanks!!

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fitting in the 5 gallon jugs would be a plus. My alternative is to transfer to a bucket and then pump into the tank. I will check all of these out, thanks!!
You want one of these then

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-183226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-183226_Chrome.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I'm not currently mixing my own water. I buy mixed from LFS, 10-15 gallons a week plus fresh water. I'm researching RODI set-ups but haven't jumped the gun yet. Still new to the hobby and I'm trying to remove as much room for error as possible!

Tofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand trying to remove errors . I just started mixing my own water about 10 months ago . Started off still buying rodi water till about 5 months ago until I decide to get an RODI unit .

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand trying to remove errors . I just started mixing my own water about 10 months ago . Started off still buying rodi water till about 5 months ago until I decide to get an RODI unit .
I'll get there one day, I'm sure! Just taking baby steps...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back