looking to buy a macro lense

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so i've had my cannon XTi for a while now, i think i'm ready to get a new macro lense.

i know there is a ton of info on this on RC...i'm just too lazy to go looking for it. ;)

whats the best macro lense to get? and where is the best place to get it from? :D

thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I am really a Nikon type of guy, and feel that Nikkor glass can’t be beat, when it comes to specialty lenses I do cheat a bit when it makes sense to do so.

Most of the close up or macro pictures I have posted here are taken with a Sigma 105mm DG EX series lens. (Don't ever buy any Sigma product that is not of the EX series) Having the opportunity to test both lenses I found the optics of this lens is very close if not impossible to differentiate from the corresponding Nikkor product. That coupled with the fact that it sells for 200.00 less than the comparable Nikkor product, made it an easy choice for me.

You have a focal range of f 2.8 to 32 which is the largest available, to my knowledge, with a macro lens of this type. There is some edge drop off at the extremes, but that portion is lost with most standard cropping sizes.

The only drawback that I can say this lens has for me is that the AF operation of the Sigma isn’t quite as smooth as the Nikkor and from what I understand not as fast as the Canon, if you are trying to do pan shots of a moving fish it may provide some difficulty. As I seldom use this lens for “action” shots it doesn’t prove to be a downside for me.

I can’t speak directly to the differences between this lens and the Canon counterpart as I haven’t owned a Canon product in 25 years, but I recommend at least taking a look at it and comparing it for yourself.

Another aftermarket lens that people have good things to say about is the Tammaron 90mm macro, but I have no hands on experience with this lens.

As for a place to get it from, consider this:

Most specialty lenses don’t see a whole lot of use or wear and tear. They are just that, a specialty lens that gets used on occasion, not everyday like say a 28 to 200 zoom. This being the case, when someone upgrades, changes types of cameras or just decides to get out of photography, chances are that the macro lens that they have is in like new condition. (Some pros do use a 100/105mm as a portriat lens so keep that in mind)

I would certainly check the used market for this type of lens. You can realize a 50% savings with very little downside.

Last edited:

JeffReef

Got Zoa Pox?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Canon 100mm and Sigma 105mm are very good and very sharp lenses. The Canon is smoother with it's HSM but it also costs more. I, however, would seriously look into the Sigma 150mm for a macro lens. This lens is more versatile and will allow you to get closer shots than the Canon 100mm or the Sigma 105mm.

BTW, my avatar was taken with a Sigma 105mm. :)

Last edited:

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Canon 100mm and Sigma 105mm are very good and very sharp lenses. The Canon is smoother with it's HSM but it also cost more. I, however, would seriously look into the Sigma 150mm for a macro lens. This lens is more versatile and will allow you to get closer shots than the Canon 100mm or the Sigma 105mm.

BTW, my avatar was taken with a Sigma 105mm. :)

You are right about the 150mm Sigma, it is a spectacular lens. The nicest thing about it over the 105 is the internal focus that it employs so the lens itself doesn’t move while focusing. (Comes in handy when you are close to the front of your tank).

The only downside is the 600.00 it costs puts it out of many peoples budget.

JeffReef

Got Zoa Pox?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a cheaper alternative, get the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and just buy the Kenko extension set and you'll have a good macro set-up. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is one of the sharpest lens under $100. You won't sacrifice sharpness with extension tubes- your lens will just be a little slower.

I sold my Sigma 150mm to buy the Sigma 50-150mm. I need a zoom for family trips more so than a macro lens. Maybe I'll buy the 150mm again when my budget allows.

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a cheaper alternative, get the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and just buy the Kenko extension set and you'll have a good macro set-up. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is one of the sharpest lens under $100. You won't sacrifice sharpness with extension tubes- your lens will just be a little slower.

Can you elaborate on why this works, for those just getting into SLR photography? This is an interesting idea to me for sure!

Macro lenses have the ability to focus closer than a normal lens, right? Is the 50mm canon a macro lens?

JeffReef

Got Zoa Pox?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Canon 50mm 1.8 is not a true macro (1:1). By using extension tubes, you're allowing the camera to focus closer. Extension tubes comes in several sizes and you can stack them together to increase magnification. The drawback is slower lense since you're allowing less light to enter when using extension tubes. Sharpness, however, is unaffected since there are no lens between the sensor and the 50mm lens (unlike teleconverters).

I'm not a photographer by trade but this is how I understand it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So wouldnt the 50mm 1.8 be better than the 100mm 2.8 as far as macro is concerned?

JeffReef

Got Zoa Pox?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wouldnt the 50mm 1.8 be better than the 100mm 2.8 as far as macro is concerned?

Rev,

-Did you mean 50mm 1:1 vs 100mm 1:1 macros in general? If so:

"Better" depends on the purpose- and for shooting corals, 100mm is better than 50mm since the latter will require you to be really close to your subject in order to get 1:1. It would be difficult to get close enough to your corals using a 50mm since we have to deal with the aquarium.

The 150mm gives you a wider working distance and this is why I prefer it over the 100mm.

-Did you mean 50mm 1.8 plus extensions VS 100mm 2.8 1:1 macro? If so:

The 100mm is better since you retain the 2.8 speed. The 50mm 1.8 plus extensions are for those who can't afford the 100mm.

Does it makes sense? I'm not a born teacher so I apologize if my explanation seems to be all over the place. :D

Last edited:

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything Jeff says is spot on in my oppinion.

Just too bad you guys aren't shooting Nikon. You could get the new 18-200mm AF-S DX VR Lens and be done with it. Most people could put this lens on a camera and never have a reason to take it off.

Problem is that this one is the only "Super Zooms" that does everything well. The other brands just haven't caught up yet.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nikon Guy! I guess I better start posting over here to represent the Canon guys!

As for lens recommendations everything on here is good advice! I have not tried the 50mm option, but that does make sense, and the science behind it is correct.

My opinion is the Canon 100mm 2.8 is one of the BEST, period. That being said, a lens like the Sigma, or Tokina are very good options. All Macro lenses are similar, and the Sigma may be 90% as good as the Canon, it is just that last 10% that makes it so much more expensive. It seems like the closer you get to perfection, the more expensive the improvements become.... Kinda like Einsteins E=mc2, the closer you get to the speed of light, the amount of energy required to increase your speed...... Never mind! Way OT!

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nikon Guy! I guess I better start posting over here to represent the Canon guys!

Naaa, I'm tired of the Nikon/Canon debate. I'm getting too old. I'm just gonna change my name to "Hasselblad Guy" then no one can argue with me!:p

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just gonna change my name to "Hasselblad Guy" then no one can argue with me!:p

HEHEHE.... That won't work either, I sold my 500C Hassy when I switched to digital.

You are correct though, the Canon/Nikon debate does get old, both systems are very good. I think most folks just buy what they already have a lens for etc. At this point in technology, the debate is really: :horse:

Hey, a bit of trivia for you... Tokina was founded by ex-Nikon engineers, kinda like the Iwaki Vs Blue Line thing....

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for lens recommendations everything on here is good advice! I have not tried the 50mm option, but that does make sense, and the science behind it is correct.

My opinion is the Canon 100mm 2.8 is one of the BEST, period. That being said, a lens like the Sigma, or Tokina are very good options. All Macro lenses are similar, and the Sigma may be 90% as good as the Canon, it is just that last 10% that makes it so much more expensive. It seems like the closer you get to perfection, the more expensive the improvements become.... Kinda like Einsteins E=mc2, the closer you get to the speed of light, the amount of energy required to increase your speed...... Never mind! Way OT!

so....whats the BEST place to get that lense from? ;)

ritz camera?? lol

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the rebate was for the xt due to the xti being released. The above price sounds about right for what I paid.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back