Looking to buy the APEX system controller

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the new APEX system controller wifi. Will I ever need to test manually? Nitrates, Ammonia, etc.? I just ordered the DOS system for auto water changes. I'm building a system and buying the equipment over time and will upgrade once I have all the things I need for the larger tank. Currently have a 40 gallon which will become the sump for a 120 gallon tank.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you’ll still need to test. The only automated Apex testing module is the Trident which tests alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

OP
OP
Explorer12

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they don't sell a probe for every test that needs to be run. Good to know.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a new apex you might want to consider getting one packaged with a trident which is about the only way to get a trident right now unless you are incredibly lucky. That being said reagents for the trident are VERY hard to get right now so bad time to actually have a trident. Who knows when supplies of both trident and reagents will become readily available.

Even having the trident, I still do manual testing for nitrate and phosphate the most. Get a hanna ulr phosphorous checker for phosphate, it's more accurate (since you have an apex it will auto convert the reading to ppm of phosphate if you put results in the app). I use salifert for nitrate testing.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex with trident will give you contant ph, temp, (an orp if you opt for it) and trident as mention will give you periodic alk,ca and mag and can control those levels if you connect to a neptune dos doser. Those are the main ones and it's super convenient but getting it all at once is also very $$$. I think its ultimately worth it in the long run, but maybe not so much in a new tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the controller. Apex probe testing is only as only as the probes. Some probes really are that good. It depends on the chemical or element being tested. You should always manually test some things to make sure your probes are only off as far as you think they are.

OP
OP
Explorer12

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex with trident will give you contant ph, temp, (an orp if you opt for it) and trident as mention will give you periodic alk,ca and mag and can control those levels if you connect to a neptune dos doser. Those are the main ones and it's super convenient but getting it all at once is also very $$$. I think its ultimately worth it in the long run, but maybe not so much in a new tank.
So I only have fish at this point and once I upgrade to the larger tank, I will incorporate corals. I was thinking mostly softies but may get a few sps. Not thinking LPS at this point so not sure i'd need the trident dosing system. It is a significant jump in price. I'm still a newbie only about 8 months into salt tanks so I'm just trying to take it slow and do the right thing before I get any more expensive pets.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just have fish right now, you really dont need much constant monitoring. You dont even really need a controller like apex for that, just a controller for your temp and do other tests manually. However getting the apex controller, you will be able to bring that over to your larger tank so I think that's worth it if you want to drop the funds for that now.

But if you are thinking of corals later (and they are easy to start getting into) then lights are going to be your next biggest purchase in terms of $$. I think even for softies it's good to have good lights but lighting is a whole other discussion. Good lights allow you to expand the type of corals you want to keep. You can get by on cheap lights but I'm betting If you stay in the hobby long enough you would wish you would have gotten better lights from the get go!

It doesn't take much to get into corals, you could probably throw some mushrooms or a leather in your fish only tank right now and get the addiction started lol!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly for FOWLR I wouldn’t get an Apex either. I also would advice against a DOS for AWC it is extremely audible especially at the speed required to do AWC. Look up Ecotech Versas, they are also peristaltic pumps but much quieter and no controller required

OP
OP
Explorer12

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just have fish right now, you really dont need much constant monitoring. You dont even really need a controller like apex for that, just a controller for your temp and do other tests manually. However getting the apex controller, you will be able to bring that over to your larger tank so I think that's worth it if you want to drop the funds for that now.

But if you are thinking of corals later (and they are easy to start getting into) then lights are going to be your next biggest purchase in terms of $$. I think even for softies it's good to have good lights but lighting is a whole other discussion. Good lights allow you to expand the type of corals you want to keep. You can get by on cheap lights but I'm betting If you stay in the hobby long enough you would wish you would have gotten better lights from the get go!

It doesn't take much to get into corals, you could probably throw some mushrooms or a leather in your fish only tank right now and get the addiction started lol!
So without new lighting or the APEX you would get some softies? I currently have 40 gallon breeder, and change water 10-20% bi-weekly. I thought my next step would be the sump and chaeto refugium. I'm thinking I'd at least need the refuge to keep the nitrates low for the corals... I have some hair algae blooming now and wanted to address that before I got into corals.

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been on again and off again the hobby. New to Apex but ive built it up over the past month. The control over temp, PH, salinity in itself is a huge plus. My temp stays constant between 78.1-78.9 as the apex will turn on my heater/chiller depending on which direction the temp is going. Salinity and PH has been so simple to monitor. Hooked it all up to my amazon alexa and she gives me parameters upon command. I added the trident and doser recently and couldnt be happier. If you have some disposable funds and are into tech/automation, I would say its worth it.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for automated testing, you might also look at the reefbot. That will allow you to test other parameters. It will not talk to the apex but has its own app. Just a thought.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies can live in 'dirtier' water and do pretty well in them actually. What are your nitrates at right now and what light do you have right now?

Bigger question is how soon do you plan on moving to the bigger tank? If you plan on upgrading anytime soon then I wouldn't bother with the sump for your 40.

If not I think sumps are great, as I think at the very least a good skimmer is very important and fuge help alot too. But you can add some easy softies and be fine without a sump.

So without new lighting or the APEX you would get some softies? I currently have 40 gallon breeder, and change water 10-20% bi-weekly. I thought my next step would be the sump and chaeto refugium. I'm thinking I'd at least need the refuge to keep the nitrates low for the corals... I have some hair algae blooming now and wanted to address that before I got into corals.

Back