Looking to create a 165 Gallon All-in-one, mixed reef

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

Looking for advise from your collective wisdom. I am looking to setup a 165 gallon mixed-reef, but do not want to deal with plumbing. Hence thinking of creating an All-in-one setup. This is my second rodio at reefing. I have had a 3 year prior experience with mixed reefs.

With that said: The question is this - With the setup mentioned below - do you believe I will be able to keep my water-conditions stable with 2 Drop-in AIO Kits (for 75 gallon, each) from Figi Cube?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Setup:

Tank and Stand: WaterBox Clear Pro 7225 Peninsula (72" X 24" X 24")

Filtration:
  1. Biological: Algae scrubber - Santa Monica HOG 1.3, Tisbe Pods, 120 lbs of caribsea shelf rock, No Sand, 6 X Bio-Block 2.0 (Brightwell Aquatics), Dr. Tims One and Only, Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter 7.
  2. Chemical - Bulk Reef Supply Carbon - ROX 0.8
  3. Mechanical - Skimmer - Tunze 9012, Aquatic Experts Premium Filter Pad,
RODI - Bulk Reef Supply 4 - Stage

Live food:
  1. Tisbe Pods,
  2. Rotifer (Brachionus Plictilis)
  3. Phytoplanktons - Nanochloropsis Oculata, Isochrysis Galbana, Tetraselmis Suicia
Doser - Neptune Dos.
Salt - Instant Ocean

Flow - Suicce Return Pumps , Neptune WAV
Heater - Bulk Reef Supply Titanium Heater
Monitoring - Neptune Apex Controller, Neptune Trident, API Reef-master Kit (for initial testing, and only because Neptune offers no way to monitor Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate and Ammonia :mad:)

Lights: 2 x Orphec Atlantic Compact V4.

Bioload (ideally):
  1. Tang-gang
  2. Some LPS (Acans and Hammers)
  3. Primarily SPS

Reefer's mentality: Patient. I am totally cool to wait 4-5 months, until I put the lights up, a couple more months to make sure that the ugly-phase is beyond me.

Really interested in your thoughts and opinions on the 2X 75 Gallon Drop-in AIO kits. Much appreciated guys!

- Best
Gogol

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits get salifert.

RoDI get the 5 stage. I have it and works well. Also may want to get the booster pump to save on Di resin.

If primarily going for sps I'd recommend a t5 hybrid fixture if you want the LED look.

Never used the drop in kits before so can't speak on them. However a sump will have benefits over an AiO

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the T5 suggestion. Unfortunately i already got my RODI and test kit. Lights i am in no rush on. So, might as well go for the T5, since my build is starting rival the price of a car!! ;Blackeye

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always just get the 61" and add LED as you can. The t5 alone will grow what ever u want.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always just get the 61" and add LED as you can. The t5 alone will grow what ever u want.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have been researching hybrids. Dimmable Hybrid setups are comparable to LEDs in price or more. (Jist the LED part) However they generally seem to have better reach. This is quite helpful.

Do you run a hybrid light, Jekyl?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tank I will be. Using 2 kessil 360we on a 90 gallon.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones I'm currently drooling over.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly doing the drop in kits sounds like a waste of money and space. Why not get the reef ready 7225? The plumbing instructions included with tank should get you going, if not you could get your LFS or a plumber to complete the plumbing quick and cheap.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand desire to avoid plumbing but with a 165 G tank, I'd highly recommend going with a sump. U can always ask local reefers to come and help w plumbing, some folks just love setting up new systems. Plumbing's easy, to make it fool proof u can always just glue all fittings/pipes while avoiding threaded fittings. Besides using 2 drops-ins sounds like a lot of maintenance while not sure how effectively they'd filter.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!

I ordered my Clear Pro Peninsula 7225 yesterday. The "Peninsula"-part for a non-drilled tank is the stand - which is the same as the Peninsula 7225, so it opens on the narrow-edge thus allowing for a room-divider tank.

I agree with you vabben - had I pursuaded with the plumbing, I would have recruited my LFS to do so. Also, I have gone away from the Drop-in AIO - after Figi Cube decided to not bother replying to my email enquiry. My reason for not waiting the sump is to remove complexity in the system. Although I confess, that it is a deeply unpopular choice amongst reefers. Likely, for a legit reason.

As I progress in this build, largely my setup is the same as originally described. Here are some updates -

1. I have started growing three varieties of phytoplanktons, one variety of Rotifer, and one variety of Tisbe Pods. This is week 3 and things are looking promising on that front. (images attached)

2. Rocks and bio-cubes are soaking in Dr. Tim's-bacteria-laden saline water that are dosed with the phyto and zoo-planktons (images attached)

3. I have decided to go with a sand-bed (80 lbs of Two Little Fishes - Sand ordered)

2. Unless I am able to maintain pristine waters with my setup, I am willing to consider a LPS/Clam/Fish tank tank (plenty of great colors to play with, in this option as well)

3. I will likely go with a Deltec skimmer and not Tunze. Still waiting on some email replies from Deltec USA and Battle Corals to take a final call.

4. For my lights, I am leaning on ATI Strattons

Hoping that the tank will roll-in next week or the one after. Will keep y'all posted.

20210317_142234.jpg 20210308_144821.jpg 20210307_204149.jpg

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand desire to avoid plumbing but with a 165 G tank, I'd highly recommend going with a sump. U can always ask local reefers to come and help w plumbing, some folks just love setting up new systems. Plumbing's easy, to make it fool proof u can always just glue all fittings/pipes while avoiding threaded fittings. Besides using 2 drops-ins sounds like a lot of maintenance while not sure how effectively they'd filter.
10-4 Superfly. I am considering an external plumbed skimmer. But haven't fully committed to the idea of that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back