Looking to download MyReef 2.0? Look no further!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Crabs for moving this post to the right thread 07

I have a similar question about the same topic I hope this doesn’t count as high jacking .

If you put a two heaters on a RKL Plus how do you program the second to only come on if the first one fails?

I was going to have the main heater programmed to cut off at 77F and I was hoping to have the second one only come on and hold at 75F in case the first one fails.

1st is that poor logic or temps?
and 2nd do I set the back up heater set point to 75F and the default to off?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Crabs for moving this post to the right thread 07

The default setting is what happens if the power bar looses connection with the head unit. So if you don't want the device to be on in that circumstance then set default to off.

I have 2 heaters one is set a couple of degrees below the other heater and seldom comes on.

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I odd thing I've noticed is the tank is staying right around 78F even with both heaters set much lower. Ones at 76F and the other at 75F. I haven't seen either come on in a couple of days I'm wondering if its just the 32 G Biocube hood is giving off that much heat and they are only coming on at night?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cooling fans cycle most of the time. My heaters usually only come on during the winter months. I do have central air and heat. It switches between heat and cool automatically. The high temp is set at 75 and the low temp is 70. On my tank the cooling fans are set for 78 and the first heater is set at 77. The second heater is set for 76.9. The second heater rarely comes on. Again I do live in central Texas. So my air conditioner does run most of the time even during winter months.

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cooling fans cycle most of the time. My heaters usually only come on during the winter months. I do have central air and heat. It switches between heat and cool automatically. The high temp is set at 75 and the low temp is 70. On my tank the cooling fans are set for 78 and the first heater is set at 77. The second heater is set for 76.9. The second heater rarely comes on. Again I do live in central Texas. So my air conditioner does run most of the time even during winter months.

Yeah I'm in Texas as well. I normally keep the house around 75 but maybe I have to bump that down a couple notches in the summer or check the fans or something on the hood.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm in Texas as well. I normally keep the house around 75 but maybe I have to bump that down a couple notches in the summer or check the fans or something on the hood.

I have cooling fans that blow across the sump to cool the water. I use the fan function for these. without these my tank would go above 80 in the summer months. I have LED lighting. This helps with the heat issue, but I still need the cooling fans.

Karrie J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- thanks for the download :) does anyone happen to have a manual on how to operate the program once it's installed? Also, how do I connect my RKL to the computer? sorry for basic questions, I'm a bit of an RKL newbie

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- thanks for the download :) does anyone happen to have a manual on how to operate the program once it's installed? Also, how do I connect my RKL to the computer? sorry for basic questions, I'm a bit of an RKL newbie
As far as I understand you need the SID V2 too hook it up into one of the bus ports. It has a usb on one end and a phone jack on the other (I don’t remember the technical name sorry)
I don’t have one or id be more helpful I hope.

P.S. if someone in Texas has a SID V2 I could rent let me know. I guess the net module would work too.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you have a SID that is compatible with myReef. The V2 SID is, but the original SID is only if it has been upgraded by Digital Aquatics. The upgraded version will have a sticker on it that says it is myReef compatible. On the RKL there is the issue that there is no open buss port when the iTemp is plugged in. If you can find a HUB module witch is actually a buss splitter it will enable you to hook ip the SID with the iTemp. The other route is to get a RJ12 splitter that is a straight through design. Phone splitters flip the connections. This will likely cause damage to your system if used. Digital Aquatics used to sell these but since they are no longer selling anything you will have to find one elsewhere. Hopefully someone that has purchased one and knows that it will work correctly will reply to this thread. When you do hook up the SID make sure your computer is powered up and myReef is running. Hook the SID to the computer first then to a running RKL system to program outputs and name ports. Hope this helps. If you have a multimeter you can check a splitter to se if it is correct by measuring the same physical pin on all the ports to make sure there is a connection between them and not the opposite pin.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get the more up to date firmware for the Lite?
You can update it through myreef2.0 but whatever version is there is it. Since the company is no longer in this part of the business there will be no new releases.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have myReef installed look in Documents > Digital Aquatics > 30-0012 folder. There should be a file RKL-1-0208.hex. It may be a different number. The 0208 in the name is the firmware version. In this case it is 2.08. Odds are you already have the current version as it has not changed in several years for the RKL head unit. Version 2.08 dates back to 2016 and that is the only one in my folder. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
Back