Looking to download MyReef 2.0? Look no further!

Dekes1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have modules that I can let go in the near future once I'm done with the I2C library for those that want to ditch the head unit and use a different controller with more flexibility. I currently have (sorry forget the models). Temp, PH, ORP, Salinity, Head Unit, PowerBars, and misc cabling.

Hopefully this isn’t too old of a post...
@JDowns does this mean you’ve determined that the DIgital Aquatics modules communicate via I2C bus? Have you been able to decipher the messaging between components? Would love to interface these modules with an arduino or RaspPi

Krollo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, this forum discussion is great, thanks for starting! My question is in regards the setting up DP1. I had the RKE setup on a previous build but had to take it down. After a year i'm resetting everything back up but lost my diagram on how to connect all the modules so that my Master DP1 and Slave DP1 work. I know that they are suppose to be the last modules in the menu but having hard time getting them moved. My RKE system consists of the Head unit, one PB4, SL1, NET, Temp Probe, PH Probe and the two DP1 modules. Again, I use to have a diagram that I had downloaded that showed a few different scenarios in setting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this isn’t too old of a post...
@JDowns does this mean you’ve determined that the DIgital Aquatics modules communicate via I2C bus? Have you been able to decipher the messaging between components? Would love to interface these modules with an arduino or RaspPi

I started on this years ago and was almost done, then got busy with other things in life....like moving to Puerto Rico. I started on this again since I enjoy the challenge but haven't had time to really dig back into it.

But to answer your question.... Yes the RKL protocol is over I2C and is 5vdc. Five of the six wires are used. 5vdc, GND, SCL, SDA, (7.5vdc??), and the last wire is floating (not used). The basic premise is each module starts out as a master on address zero and announces itself repeatedly until the head unit recognizes it. So the head unit is constantly listening via an interrupt for announcements on channel zero for new modules. The head unit then makes a general call back and assigns that module a new address (1-4). If I remember correctly the head unit is fixed at address 128 or somewhere around there.

Once you get the handshake down between head unit and modules, it's just a matter of sniffing the I2C line while navigating the head unit and noting what commands are used for a desired response, not overly complicated, just very time consuming.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, this forum discussion is great, thanks for starting! My question is in regards the setting up DP1. I had the RKE setup on a previous build but had to take it down. After a year i'm resetting everything back up but lost my diagram on how to connect all the modules so that my Master DP1 and Slave DP1 work. I know that they are suppose to be the last modules in the menu but having hard time getting them moved. My RKE system consists of the Head unit, one PB4, SL1, NET, Temp Probe, PH Probe and the two DP1 modules. Again, I use to have a diagram that I had downloaded that showed a few different scenarios in setting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It doesn't matter where it is in the menu. They have to be the last modules in the buss so the 6v power is not sent to another module . The buss ports should be labeled. I think they are in and out. So buss form other modules to master in then master out to slave in and so on until all DP1's are connected. It doesn't matter which one you use as the master. That will be the one you hook the motor power supply to.

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap that totally makes sense now, but hanks for the help on this thread I am sure I will some questions down the road.

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be some smart Reefkeeper people on here so not sure if this is okay to post but I am having a heck of time with a RKL I just got. It came with an SLX mod but when i plug it in nothing came up on the head unit so I plugged into my reef using the SID V2 to check on it and it says it is a "net" mod then will toggle and say its an "ALC" Mod. It wont let me program anything and says it needs updated. Can anyone help me on this??

Algae Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you’ll have to do a “Hard” update.
Plug the module into myreef, and start an update. Before it completes the update unplug the module.
You’re going to see the update failed notice. Plug the module back in, in the upper left side click on “???????”, a drop down menu of modules will show, select SLX and update again.
Hopefully this helps.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done this so I’m pulling from memory.
Don’t forget, you can only connect one module at a time for updates.

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have an old reef keeper elite v2 and need a cos battery part number? I pulled it out a week ago to replace and I can't find it any help is appreciated. Thanks

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have an old reef keeper elite v2 and need a cos battery part number? I pulled it out a week ago to replace and I can't find it any help is appreciated. Thanks
I will see if I can pull mine apart and look this weekend.

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you to everyone for taking time to help.

That is the correct battery, I found my old one after I bought a few incorrect ones, thanks.

Questions
I bought my reef Keeper elite V2 about 10 years ago. It came with two PC4's, SL1, temp, ph, and orp probes. It was a pain to wait for the Net module to be released. I finaly purchased one than took down my tank. Well I guess I am a gluten for punishment, and want to use my system on my new tank. I think I have the older sid not v2, now if I understand correctly evan with my new Net module never used. I wont be able to program form MY reef I will need a newer sid V2 ??Is this correct?

Can I program through the unit and monitor in My reef 2.0 and setup alerts or should I just by a SID?

I remember something about firmware and Net modules, does any one have info on this? Do I have to upgrade my head unit to use my reef 2.0, netmodule, and sid if I gt one. I going through the manual and I think it talked about checking firmware. If I do need updated firmware, does anyone have any links to download.

Thanks

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you to everyone for taking time to help.

That is the correct battery, I found my old one after I bought a few incorrect ones, thanks.

Questions
I bought my reef Keeper elite V2 about 10 years ago. It came with two PC4's, SL1, temp, ph, and orp probes. It was a pain to wait for the Net module to be released. I finaly purchased one than took down my tank. Well I guess I am a gluten for punishment, and want to use my system on my new tank. I think I have the older sid not v2, now if I understand correctly evan with my new Net module never used. I wont be able to program form MY reef I will need a newer sid V2 ??Is this correct?

Can I program through the unit and monitor in My reef 2.0 and setup alerts or should I just by a SID?

I remember something about firmware and Net modules, does any one have info on this? Do I have to upgrade my head unit to use my reef 2.0, netmodule, and sid if I gt one. I going through the manual and I think it talked about checking firmware. If I do need updated firmware, does anyone have any links to download.

Thanks

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your SID look like? myReef works via the SID only. It doesn't use the NET module at all. You have to have the correct SID to even update the firmware. If you plug your SID into a computer running myReef does it recognize it?

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your SID look like? myReef works via the SID only. It doesn't use the NET module at all. You have to have the correct SID to even update the firmware. If you plug your SID into a computer running myReef does it recognize it?

I have the older Sid. I will connect it to my laptop and plug it in my controller to see if it opens

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap all coming back to me now. My reef says doesn't support sid need 2.0. This was where I was at after waiting years for them to release the net module, than I had to send back my old sid. I moved so never got around to it. Anyone selling a sid 2.0?

Eric Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap all coming back to me now. My reef says doesn't support sid need 2.0. This was where I was at after waiting years for them to release the net module, than I had to send back my old sid. I moved so never got around to it. Anyone selling a sid 2.0?

Back