Looking to download MyReef 2.0? Look no further!

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no error when doing reset via head unit.
No error when updating firmware to 3.02, system confirmed firmware was already up to date. (got the firmware files from something you posted, thanks for that)

I removed the battery and RKE lost the date I had set, can't see time setting, I think the battery is fine.

The issue appears to be with the head unit physical display, maybe the old saying is true, if its not broken don't mess with it and I did.

Below is that most the screen displays, only bottom half.
20200226_191606_resized.jpg
20200226_192223_resized.jpg

Did you get any kind of error when updating the RKE head unit. Some computers have an issue updating the RKE. You may need to add a powered PC4 to help with the second half of the update. What firmware version are you trying to update to?

As mentioned there is a backup battery in the RKE. Not sure it has a bearing on your issue but with the age of the RKE they are starting to fail.

If you need firmware PM me with your email addres and I can send the firmware version I have for the RKE.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up yet. PM me with you email and I will send you all the firmware versions I have for the RKE. Also we can try and update it with a PC4 connected and powered up. The display data is in the part of the RKE memory that has an issue updating on some computers without adding thr PC4. If I remember correctly it also updates in two stages. Did you get a prompt to update the second stage when updating?

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, PM sent, thanks for the assist.
Yes, the update process said it was 2 steps.

1. was firmware and it stated that it was up to date and then
2. was the 2nd update for fonts and other things, completed successfully

Don't give up yet. PM me with you email and I will send you all the firmware versions I have for the RKE. Also we can try and update it with a PC4 connected and powered up. The display data is in the part of the RKE memory that has an issue updating on some computers without adding thr PC4. If I remember correctly it also updates in two stages. Did you get a prompt to update the second stage when updating?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was the case I would try again with the PC4 added and powered. This is the only time that you want two modules hooked. It will alert you about it but continue. Some of the computer will not have sufficient USB power to write to the secondary memory. The older computers usually don't hace an issue. The sexondary memory has the programming for the display and can cause display issues.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you do have a V2 RKE. I can see the V2 in your photos. The oroginal RKE will not update to 3.xx versions. It causes display issues with tue unit. Since you have the V2 versions 3.xx should work ok.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input and suggestions.
I tried updating with the RKE connected to a PC4, only allows secondary update, the fonts update; update completed successfully.

I will keep trying to update the RKE occasionally over the next few weeks.

If it ends up working at some point, will update this thread so others have a reference post.

Also you do have a V2 RKE. I can see the V2 in your photos. The oroginal RKE will not update to 3.xx versions. It causes display issues with tue unit. Since you have the V2 versions 3.xx should work ok.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried installing the final version of firmware 20 times and in many different ways, no luck.
Now, I did go ahead and install the N-1 version, RKE 0206 and I got the reverse result.
Now I can see the date, time and text that would show me temp or ph but in a perplexing way.

The firmware updates is not recognizing the entire RKE screen nor complete display options.

The N-1 firmware version via 0206 put the time and date backwards.
When I install version 0302 screen will revert back to my original issue; entire top section is missing.

Weird...

20200227_091446_resized.jpg

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aftermarket work done on the head unit.
Head unit was working until I decided it had to many modules recorded and I decided to clean up the list of modules by doing a reset or thought that would delete all modules.

Once I hit reset the screen started displaying deletions, as if the screen is was being cleaned up.

I only have 3 black SID adapters.
sometimes the SID's are recognized, sometimes they are not.
All SID's have latest firmware.

Prob time to give up and hunt for a used head unit.

This is odd... the screen does not look like the original. Has the RKe been worked on?
Also have both updates been applied? Think if all those things are gtg it's the SID. I wouldn't use any side but the black ones... the others are glitchy af

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried to install MyReef 2.0 on a different laptop...

Received a Microsoft .NET Framework error.
Application unhandled exception error.

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

I will try to find different install files for MyReef on the net.

Have you tried using a different computer to update the firmware?

20200228_091903.jpg

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unable to implement update using file GC1.
Is GC1 meant for the RKE?

MyReef is saying that the file must match the RKE head unit, when I try to use the GC1 file.

Try these updates... you'll need both. Unzip and point the MyReef to them

ReefStrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unable to implement update using file GC1.
Is GC1 meant for the RKE?

MyReef is saying that the file must match the RKE head unit, when I try to use the GC1 file.
This is what I would do:

1- Order a replacement battery for the unit: recommend ECR1216 / (CR1216 3v Lithium battery for it. Especially if it is unknown the current battery's age:

2 - Next: Check your connectors and Ensure there is no corrosion on them at either the insertion or connection points.

3 - Do an uninterrupted update on another module. Do not attempt an update while connected to any other module including a power bar. (Avoid doing uninterrupted updates on the SL2v2 or Net modules....they can get pretty hairy to do.)

4 - IF and ONLY if you have success updating another module ( this ensures that your computer to SID to module is GtG) Attempt another update of both head unit files.

5 - All else fails... send what you have out to me. I look into updating what you have and get your equipment married up together and do a same next day turnaround. Just cover the shipping.
If I determine the head unit is beyond my ability. I do have a couple of head units here if interested.

ReefStrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I would do:

1- Order a replacement battery for the unit: recommend ECR1216 / (CR1216 3v Lithium battery for it. Especially if it is unknown the current battery's age:

2 - Next: Check your connectors and Ensure there is no corrosion on them at either the insertion or connection points.

3 - Do an uninterrupted update on another module. Do not attempt an update while connected to any other module including a power bar. (Avoid doing uninterrupted updates on the SL2v2 or Net modules....they can get pretty hairy to do.)

4 - IF and ONLY if you have success updating another module ( this ensures that your computer to SID to module is GtG) Attempt another update of both head unit files.

5 - All else fails... send what you have out to me. I look into updating what you have and get your equipment married up together and do a same next day turnaround. Just cover the shipping.
If I determine the head unit is beyond my ability. I do have a couple of head units here if interested.
[/QUOT
n2585722 I think this is a solid plan...your thoughts?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefStrong if you are willing, sounds good. I forgot to mention there are some computer that myReef will not run on at all. Windows 10 is real finicky. My two surface tablets will not run myReef at all Eric sent me several versions to try out. My HP computers with windows 10 will run myReef no issues.

ReefStrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefStrong if you are willing, sounds good. I forgot to mention there are some computer that myReef will not run on at all. Windows 10 is real finicky. My two surface tablets will not run myReef at all Eric sent me several versions to try out. My HP computers with windows 10 will run myReef no issues.
I've got two win7's dedicated one for the Lab and the other to run on an active setup. No issues with either one. I will gladly take a look at what he's got and turn them around soonest.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve solved all my other RKE issues but I think I hit a new one. A dead PC4. It plugs in and turns on but there’s a status light blinking and in myreef 2.0 it’s Grey. Am I to assume it’s RIP?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joshua I have one that did that after a lightning strike. I lost a surround sound receiver at the same time. I could get it to show on myReef and update it but It would not connect to the system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back