Looking to download MyReef 2.0? Look no further!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have at least one light lit or flashing on the PB4. If not I would start there. Without the head unit connected to the PB4 the status light should flash. This indicates there is no buss communication with the head unit. If that works then connect the head unit and see if thr status light is lit all the time. If the status light does not flash when PB4 is powered up without the head then the issue is probably the PB4.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have at least one light lit or flashing on the PB4. If not I would start there. Without the head unit connected to the PB4 the status light should flash. This indicates there is no buss communication with the head unit. If that works then connect the head unit and see if thr status light is lit all the time. If the status light does not flash when PB4 is powered up without the head then the issue is probably the PB4.
Thanks for the quick response. Disconnected the head unit and no status light at all. So the PB 4 is toast?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you power it off and connectit to the SID does it show as a module? If it shows as a PB4 you can try and update it. If that doesn't work you can always try a interrupted update. I think the instructions are in this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alternatives-to-digital-aquatics-probes-and-parts.439573/. If you do an interrupted update it will change the serial number and it will show as a different module on you head unit so it will have to be reprogrammed.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you power it off and connectit to the SID does it show as a module? If it shows as a PB4 you can try and update it. If that doesn't work you can always try a interrupted update. I think the instructions are in this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alternatives-to-digital-aquatics-probes-and-parts.439573/. If you do an interrupted update it will change the serial number and it will show as a different module on you head unit so it will have to be reprogrammed.
I don't have the RJ12 cable and apparently you can't use a phone cable. I'll find one and try this. Thanks again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the RJ12 cable and apparently you can't use a phone cable. I'll find one and try this. Thanks again.
You can make your own with the correct crimper, connectors and cable. I got the cable at Fry's and the crimper and connetors from Home Depot. You have to make sure you get the connectors on correctly. I have photos of connectors placed om a short piece of cable to show correct orientation. The is a ridge on one of the flat sides of the cable I have. It is shown on second photo one connector the release tab is on the same side as that ridge the other connector the release tab in on the opposite side as the ridge. The way the same pin on the connector is connected to the same wire in the cable. Phone cables usually have the wires flipped on the opposite connector.

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make your own with the correct crimper, connectors and cable. I got the cable at Fry's and the crimper and connetors from Home Depot. You have to make sure you get the connectors on correctly. I have photos of connectors placed om a short piece of cable to show correct orientation. The is a ridge on one of the flat sides of the cable I have. It is shown on second photo one connector the release tab is on the same side as that ridge the other connector the release tab in on the opposite side as the ridge. The way the same pin on the connector is connected to the same wire in the cable. Phone cables usually have the wires flipped on the opposite connector.

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG
I got a cable. When I connected it did show as a PB4. Tried the update, Still nothing. Did the interupted update got a new serial # and successful update, still nothing. no lights on the PB4. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like something is wrong inside the PB4. If it is powered up whithout the head unit plugged in and does not have a flashing status light. It could be a power supply issue or the power switch itself could be bad. I have not had the PB4 apart. I have had a PC4 apart before. Not sure how different they are inside.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like something is wrong inside the PB4. If it is powered up whithout the head unit plugged in and does not have a flashing status light. It could be a power supply issue or the power switch itself could be bad. I have not had the PB4 apart. I have had a PC4 apart before. Not sure how different they are inside.
I took it apart but it doesn't appear to be serviceable. The 120v receptacles were installed in the housing, then the PCB was installed and they were soldered together. No way to get it apart. I do appreciate the help. At least I feel I was able to do everything possible to recover it.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First.. THANK YOU so much for this thread!

I just bought a second ReefKeeper Lite Plus and it did not have the SID V2 cable. so I used one from my DT system and it seemed to work fine. However, the RKL screen was always flickering and characters on the screen were randomly changing to another digit. Downloaded the firmware from this thread and flashed all modules. Still acting really "wonky". I have factory reset it as well and the RKL is flickering on certain digits randomly.

Second I lost my PH Probe that was working before I tried to flash the firmware a second time to help with the flickering. I cannot get it to calibrate. Also the Temp and ORP seem to be working and there is nothing plugged into the port. Very weird. Sure appreciate any help I can get.

EDIT: I think the whole SL2 is not working. The SL2 I got that I am using the SID from is different. It doesn't have the Salinity Port. Would using a different SID to use this new RK system mess things up?

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are updating each module one at a time with only that module hooked to the SID. Most of the Modules and RKL have not had any updates in several years. What is the firmware versions on each module you have? Do you have a SL2v2 or a SL2 module. The SL2v2 uses a salinity probe with a BNC connector like what is used on a pH probe. The SL2 used a salinity probe with a DIN plug. The SL2 module had an exchange program around 10 years ago.

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I realized about SL2 (maybe the same for ORP in SL1) is that if the Ph and temperature probes are not calibrated and working perfectly, the salinity will not be correct. Yesterday I checked for updates to my SL2v2 and the last firmware installed is SL2-1-0221.hex of 2017. Is this the last one available?

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I realized about SL2 (maybe the same for ORP in SL1) is that if the Ph and temperature probes are not calibrated and working perfectly, the salinity will not be correct. Yesterday I checked for updates to my SL2v2 and the last firmware installed is SL2-1-0221.hex of 2017. Is this the last one available?

Where did you find this firmware information? The Firmware attached in the first post is SL2-1-0205.hex. I could not locate the 0221 firmware on google anywhere.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are updating each module one at a time with only that module hooked to the SID. Most of the Modules and RKL have not had any updates in several years. What is the firmware versions on each module you have? Do you have a SL2v2 or a SL2 module. The SL2v2 uses a salinity probe with a BNC connector like what is used on a pH probe. The SL2 used a salinity probe with a DIN plug. The SL2 module had an exchange program around 10 years ago.

I did update one module at a time with the power off. Flashing the firmware to each was successful.
I have the SL2v2 that uses the BNC Connector.
I connected My computer to the Reefkeeper and checked the firmware revisions and they all seem to be up to date.

For some reason, I cannot figure out how to change the Hysteresis on the heater setup and I still can not get the PH Probe to work. It stays stuck on 7.0 and when I go to calibrate it and does not move off 1997. I also cannot figure out why the ORP and Temp ports seem to be working and changing when there is no probes attached to them. It did not do this before I flashed the firmware in this thread.

Is there a way to completely reset the whole Reefkeeper? I did a factory reset form the RKL and it did not change anything. Was thinking about installing MyReef and reinstalling after I did a factory reset on the Reefkeeper?

Capture1.JPG

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find this firmware information? The Firmware attached in the first post is SL2-1-0205.hex. I could not locate the 0221 firmware on google anywhere.
I don't remember exactly, but I believe that my SL2 v2 or my Sidv2 already came with this firmware version installed. what I did was check for updates on MyReef and this version appears as installed. I can send you by mail with you want.

IMG_20200710_131928.jpg

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my old computer and looked in the DA folder in My Documents and found the HEX file you have SL2-1-0221.hex and flashed it. It worked. I now have my PH function back working. the whole RKL is still flickering different characters randomly but at least it seems to be working better. The bottom line I can tell is 0205.hex does not work on SL2-V2 modules. I still wish I could change the hysteresis and stop this flickering.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.05 may be for the old SL2. they won't work in the SL2v2 it has a completly different microprocessor. I will check what firmware versions I have. On the RKL it has ready fit functions like the heater function. Some things are preset on these functions. These started out as an easy way for the beginner to get the controller setup. They are actually the controller function with some things preset for you. You can always use the controler function for access to all the settings instead.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your screen it looks like the computer has a lower cersion than what is on the SID, RKL and SL2. see what is actually in the folder on the computer for the appropriate module. I have the following

SID 2.09
RKL 2.08
PC4 2.04
SL2v2 2.22

Those are the highest versions I have. If you want what I have for the modules PM me with you email and I will send what I have for each of those modules.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your screen it looks like the computer has a lower cersion than what is on the SID, RKL and SL2. see what is actually in the folder on the computer for the appropriate module. I have the following

SID 2.09
RKL 2.08
PC4 2.04
SL2v2 2.22

Those are the highest versions I have. If you want what I have for the modules PM me with you email and I will send what I have for each of those modules.
That would be awesome PM sent

Nano Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I do not know if this is the right thread to ask, but I wanted to know your opinion. I found an used PC4 energy bar which is on sale and I want to know if I could run only the bar in my nano tank so that it does simple tasks while I am on vacation such as turning lights off and on for corals and turning the return pump off for feeding. Can the energy bar do this? Could I still program it with the zipped MyReef 2.0 of the thread? Thanks for the help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back