Looking to get back into the hobby, have a few questions.

Rii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

after about a 5 years break of keeping a reef tank, I’m looking to get back into it.
I currently have a few freshwater planted tanks.

I do have a few questions.
1, I’m looking to have a white tail bristle tooth tang, spot breast or wantanabe Angel as the main fish. Besides that everything else will be smaller “Nano” fish. With that being said would a 60-70 gallon tank be good enough for any of those 3?

2, I’m sure over the past years equipment etc has gotten better and more expensive. If I’m looking to do something in the 60-70 gallon range what would the rough total set up cost be for equipment, rock etc. (excluding fish and corals). If this helps looking at doing a mixed Reefer with mainly LPS and a bit of acros.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Only the white tail bristletooth and wantanabe angel, and then only until they outgrow it (so 2-3 years max).
2. As with inflation on everything... It all really depends. You'll save a bit on a custom system but have to look at sourcing your own components and things like plumbing -or- you can pay a bit more for a turn-key system like Cade, Innovative Marine, Red Sea, Waterbox, etc.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

after about a 5 years break of keeping a reef tank, I’m looking to get back into it.
I currently have a few freshwater planted tanks.

I do have a few questions.
1, I’m looking to have a white tail bristle tooth tang, spot breast or wantanabe Angel as the main fish. Besides that everything else will be smaller “Nano” fish. With that being said would a 60-70 gallon tank be good enough for any of those 3?

2, I’m sure over the past years equipment etc has gotten better and more expensive. If I’m looking to do something in the 60-70 gallon range what would the rough total set up cost be for equipment, rock etc. (excluding fish and corals). If this helps looking at doing a mixed Reefer with mainly LPS and a bit of acros.
No experience with the fish.
But do some research on the tank. You could get a cheap Marineland 75, or low iron glass, rimless, etc. Plan on a sump and refugium.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back