Looking to go back to MH... Advice/opinions?

cubereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 4 250 w mh with 8 bulb t5 setup over a 9ft x 2ft x 15" frag tank and i have no heat issues or anything. run my house ac at 72. i will say that whatever setup you go with make sure you have a back stock of bulbs. bulbs are getting harder to find and prices keep jumping.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20” X 20” Hamilton reflector 400w Radium..$400. Option to use 250w Radium $240 more.. Almost 2 inches of new growth on my clam in 9 months. I’m not aware of any LED that can distribute light like this. The tank in summer runs the same temps as it does in winter, just more or less work on the heater. Regardless of what anyone says, common PAR meters do not capture the entire useful amount of PUR put out by this bulb. In addition to this a Metal Halide bulb does not blink the way an LED utilizing PWM to control output does. The light output is constant and the range of the spectrum produced is more natural than an LED.
There is an article in Coral Magazine regarding coral spawning and the Dr. in her lab is seen with 3 Metal Halides above her tanks.
I have lots of LED’s too. Kessil, DIY, a 4ft X 4ft monster.

I‘m just saying. Look how distributed the light is throughout the tank. I think I will be using some LED to ramp up and ramp down creating more of a sunrise and sunset and the halide for a 6 to 8 hour midday sun.

It’s a new tank still and it has a lot more I need to add, but I’m happy with my decision and the coral all grows.

C918F5B6-218C-4CCA-B554-90F1BB3BF9B2.jpeg
ADD48686-C564-4026-8FFE-C7DB9ECB06BE.jpeg

054C99B7-B36F-4841-BCF5-51E18FD243B1.jpeg

C8B2C6BF-0963-4FC7-A24C-15717FEBC1C7.jpeg
B37AF5C3-26EF-450A-AE2B-C612CA2CE61D.jpeg
I'm so happy for you! Your results can't lie! Your observations align with the facts! Thanks for describing what's going on there so people can believe and at least try! If they try they will see what we are talking about!
let the sun shine in that house, my friend! Let it shine!
Cheers!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 4 250 w mh with 8 bulb t5 setup over a 9ft x 2ft x 15" frag tank and i have no heat issues or anything. run my house ac at 72. i will say that whatever setup you go with make sure you have a back stock of bulbs. bulbs are getting harder to find and prices keep jumping.
I'm happy for you!!
There is a great hope not only for the halide bulbs, but for all halide equipment, including parts, to be more available as people start to purchase again. Every day more and more reefers are ditching their LEDs and getting halides. Hamilton just ordered Radium bulbs from Germany. I emailed the factory and they told me that Radium will continue to be produced and there is no plans to discontinue neither of their bulbs (250W and 400W). Hamilton ordered plenty new Hamilton bulbs and fixtures also because of so many people buying and looking for them, they went out of stock of many metal halide equipment including fixtures. I also spoke with Tullio, from ReefBrite, and he confirmed the sales going up, specially public aquariums going back to halides.
The best artificial reef light in the world is coming back!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back