Looking to make the jump, still a little hesitant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious? The cost of sending out a test every month makes you hesitant? Why? It's $50. Once things are dialed in you do not have to test every month if you dont want to. Almost all of us do not test our water this way now.... So even once every 3 months is a vast improvement! I do not mind testing every month. I guess the value of our corals and the overall health of our tanks can vary from people to people. My tank worth ALOT more than $50 or even $100 per month to me.

Some of us if not alot of us spend way more money on salt mix and RODI filters per month than the elementz solutions + test. Anyhow, it's a matter of opinion and subjective values. I personally think it is the best method in reef keeping for ME. I have been dosing for 3 weeks now and things are looking awesome.

Kid

The point of the salt mix and RODI is very valid. The costs may not equal (depending on RODI exhaustion and salt mix cost, as well as tank size) but in some cases could be equal. When you consider these costs, the Triton method does seem to become more economical then looking at it in a vacuum.

Take my system for example, 150g total volume. 2% daily water changes would be 90 gallons per month. Thats roughly $35/month for Red Sea salt alone, not factoring in the DI resin in my RODI (which is consumed quite fast since my TDS is over 700 in my tap water). Right now I am consuming a set of Elementz about every 2 months, plus a triton test each month: ~$80/month.

For me, Triton is worth a lot more then that if only for the increased knowledge I gain about my system. Being able to see the true status of all these tank parameters over time is incredible and has countless benefits (including seeing bad things building up that may crash your tank).

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to hear from people that are seeing results. Specially if they can see an improvement in a month or so

It's hard for me to tell what improvements are coming from Triton vs other things but my tank seems to be doing fantastic. I have never performed a water change. The tank is 2 months old, I did a 14day Zeovit cycle and then began dosing Triton Elementz. I have about 10 SPS frags that are encrusting and recovering wonderfully from shipping. My clams are doing great, tank parameters are rock solid, and refugium is thriving. I have some cyano, but I attribute this more to tank newness then anything else. Time will tell, but this tank is thriving compared to my older 24g Nano which I could never keep SPS alive in - regardless of how perfect my parameters were.

I also think it says something that UniqueCorals is dosing Elementz on their holding systems. At 10k gallons each, they are likely using $2000+/month worth of Elementz, which is not a small cost for a company that size.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake! I meant at UC we are running triton in 5 of our 2000 gallon raceways (10,000 gal total) My bad! I was typing fast. Lol. It has been approx a month now and every raceway running triton (there is one 2000 gal acclimation raceway not running triton) is looking really solid. Colors are popping, polyps fully out, growth tips everywhere. I really credit this to a constant drip of all the elements. Nothing magical here, just really good stability in an easy to use manner.

I calculated the cost for running triton base elementz on a typical 100 gal reef system to be as follows.

Starting dose of 10ml pr 25 gallons of system. This translates to 40ml of liquid for each of the four parts pr day (3 if you are combining parts 3a and 3b). Since the bottles each create a 10 liter solution (10,000ml), running triton at the starting dose for a 100 gallon tank should last someone 250 days or approx 8 months. That is about $10 pr month to run a full high end solution of macro and trace elements. We are talking analytical grade materials (compare apples to apples) which is not the same as bulk, diy products with possible contaminations. Now here is where it gets fun- Tanks that are staying at the starting dose are usually new and not full of growing coral and coraline algae. Once the tank starts thriving and the corals are growing and using the carbonates, the dosing amounts will increase as a measure of this increased growth. If the corals aren't growing for whatever reason then the dosing amounts stays low. This is why regular alkalinity monitoring is one of the most important roles you need to do to maintain the alk at 8dkh. Now take a kick-*** system with corals growing like gangbusters- this tank could be seeing 3 times the starting dose or 120ml of dosing pr part, pr day to keep up with the needs of the coral. Even at this crazy rate a set of elementz would last someone on a 100 gallon tank approx 83 days or almost 3 months. If you wouldn't pay this amount for raw materials to have corals growing at a crazy fast rate then i think you need to check yourself. lol Also think of the money that can be made from fragging coral? The money saved from not throwing away dead corals that never made it, not to mention the bragging rights and better sleep you'll get;) Basically, if you are spending a lot on chemicals it means your tank is growing really well. Its a fair trade-off I believe. As for icp testing. I recommend testing every 3 or 4 months once the tank is running stable and well.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dose 2 part, magnesium, and do occaisional 10-20% water changes (like once every 4-6 weeks). My colors are great and my corals are happy as can be. I used the triton test kit to see what my water looks like, but I don't really see a need to dose anything else. I'd rather just keep doing water changes. My opinion is to just keep it simple so you actual stick with it:)

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dose 2 part, magnesium, and do occaisional 10-20% water changes (like once every 4-6 weeks). My colors are great and my corals are happy as can be. I used the triton test kit to see what my water looks like, but I don't really see a need to dose anything else. I'd rather just keep doing water changes. My opinion is to just keep it simple so you actual stick with it:)

There are many, many ways to run a reef system. The triton method is yet another way which is as simple as it comes. We we're doing just fine too until we swapped the two part and mag for base elementz on our raceways. Our colors were good and the corals were healthy. I bet you will find that swapping the two part and mag for the base elementz will result in even better growth and color then what you have now. You can still do the water changes if that is what you are used to. You may find that you simply don't need them anymore if your nutrients are being managed by efficient skimming, carbon, algae filter, etc. Just a thought to consider.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ideas: If you have a connected room on the other side of the wall you may be able to go through the wall - this is what I have done. If you have space beside the stand you could search for some piece of furniture or decoration that is hollow (such as an ottoman) and place the container inside it. You could also possibly utilize the space saving style dosing containers or have something custom built to fill any tiny space you have.

This is exactly what I did with my entire set up. My garage is the opposite wall so that made it easy. Love having all the space for fuge/sump operations...

Are you serious? The cost of sending out a test every month makes you hesitant? Why? It's $50. Once things are dialed in you do not have to test every month if you dont want to. Almost all of us do not test our water this way now.... So even once every 3 months is a vast improvement! I do not mind testing every month. I guess the value of our corals and the overall health of our tanks can vary from people to people. My tank worth ALOT more than $50 or even $100 per month to me.

Some of us if not alot of us spend way more money on salt mix and RODI filters per month than the elementz solutions + test. Anyhow, it's a matter of opinion and subjective values. I personally think it is the best method in reef keeping for ME. I have been dosing for 3 weeks now and things are looking awesome.

Kid

I think sometimes it takes a crash for someone to see the worth of $ spent on testing. I was spending quite a bit on test kits and still crashed, which could have been avoided IMO if I had found Triton sooner.

I like to hear from people that are seeing results. Specially if they can see an improvement in a month or so

Under a month I believe, would have to do some research to see when I started. But within weeks my birdsnests are showing growth tips about 3 times as what they ever were before. Stylos and monti are also doing noticeably better by a lot. I can't comment on acro, as I made the switch just after losing almost all my acros. The couple I have left have a lot of healing before I can see how they will grow, but they seem to be coming back which is good.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be realistic there is no secret to growth. Good lighting, keep your phosphates and nitrates in check ( how low is specific to each tank ), keep your ALK, CA levels ( and Mg to a lesser degree ) at or above natural levels and your going to get good results. Many ways to achieve ALK, CA levels ( Mg levels too but that isn't a daily requirement ) so that part really isn't anything specific with Triton. Phosphates and nitrates the Triton supplements don't fix any of those issues so you need to have those methods in place with or without Triton. So that really leaves how much you actually think a water change stresses corals ( I personally don't observe anything that would make me believe they are getting stressed especially when doing your maintenance schedule on consistant basis, ie: not just when you feel like it ) and then lastly the trace elements. I seriously doubt that 1 month of adding trace element is going to be somehow magical, I suppose if your tank had been depleated for long time from not doing proper maintenance you may see larger improvements from trace than others would.

After my test results, I started adding some Vanadium, Manganese, Molybdeum as those are the only ones that were low ( and just about all posted test results from other tanks as well so not specific to me ) and while my take is doing awesome ( it was doing awesome beforehand as well ), I have observed nothing postivie or negative from dosing the trace elements in the 3 months. While certainly could be subtle changes not anything you that is visable.

Perhaps since starting it has got you excited again and now paying more attention to tank chemistry/parameter levels. That can have everybit as much positive effect than anything.

I'm not trying to knock the Triton stuff but this isn't some huge revolutionary thing to me. Most everything they point out in the method are things you should already have been doing ( outside of the trace elements ).

I do see some value in the testing aspect.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kid

You seem awfully aggressive in saying people should think that's not a lot of money. I suppose it depends on the size of the tank, doesn't it? And how much money you have?

$50 a month may be nothing to you, but it is a lot of money to many people, and buys a huge amount of water changes.

On a 100 gallon total system, $50 a month is more than a 100% change.

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I don't mean to state that everyone should think the way I do. I did try to say that it is my personal opinion and that's based on my personal perception.

And you accussed me of making a blanket statement but you did the same thing. How do you know $50 is alot of money to many people? Are we including all people here or just the people in the USA? And reefers only or just people in general? And yes, maybe for some people it is alot of money to spend on a reef tank. I don't know... And does it matter? I am just simply stating my personal opinion. I have no intention of being aggressive toward anyone.

And I included the following words to make sure that my words didn't offend anyone:

"I guess the value of our corals and the overall health of our tanks can vary from people to people. My tank worth ALOT more than $50 or even $100 per month to me. "

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I don't mean to state that everyone should think the way I do. I did try to say that it is my personal opinion and that's based on my personal perception.

And you accussed me of making a blanket statement but you did the same thing. How do you know $50 is alot of money to many people? Are we including all people here or just the people in the USA? And reefers only or just people in general? And yes, maybe for some people it is alot of money to spend on a reef tank. I don't know... And does it matter? I am just simply stating my personal opinion. I have no intention of being aggressive toward anyone.

And I included the following words to make sure that my words didn't offend anyone:

"I guess the value of our corals and the overall health of our tanks can vary from people to people. My tank worth ALOT more than $50 or even $100 per month to me. "

Even this post sounds aggressive....to me! JS :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally know many people to whom $50 a month is a lot. So it is true from my perspective. :)

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a brand new tank soon and while I think triton may a good option for some I just can't see it for myself. It's like tritons trying to follow the Dutch synthetic reefing method. Sounds great but I still believe in water changes and dosing for what I know. I'm fortunate in that I live near the man that owns the biggest privately owned reef and he grows corals into massive and I mean massive colonies. Using nothing but a calcium reactor. I almost feel our need to try to play God and achieve some new morph of super blue rainbow gumdrop explosion is what drives this to be even an option also I question how accurate these tests really are because bill wan who works in pharmaceuticals has said that tests of this caliber if they are any good costs thousands and are routinely checked by the fda to make sure they are giving accurate analysis. They also cost thousands so I'm wondering what kind of machines are doing this for 50$. New snake oil is still snake oil. I hate to be that guy but I guess I am.

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a brand new tank soon and while I think triton may a good option for some I just can't see it for myself. It's like tritons trying to follow the Dutch synthetic reefing method. Sounds great but I still believe in water changes and dosing for what I know. I'm fortunate in that I live near the man that owns the biggest privately owned reef and he grows corals into massive and I mean massive colonies. Using nothing but a calcium reactor. I almost feel our need to try to play God and achieve some new morph of super blue rainbow gumdrop explosion is what drives this to be even an option also I question how accurate these tests really are because bill wan who works in pharmaceuticals has said that tests of this caliber if they are any good costs thousands and are routinely checked by the fda to make sure they are giving accurate analysis. They also cost thousands so I'm wondering what kind of machines are doing this for 50$. New snake oil is still snake oil. I hate to be that guy but I guess I am.
They aren't forgoing water changes they are just saying they aren't mandatory. If you still like doing water changes there is no penalty to that. Calcium reactors are pretty awesome I have one and am actually looking to pass it up to go triton. As far as the tests go the story I got from Jake from reefbuilders was that the owner of triton was not happy with the chemicals he was getting sent for his dosing, so he bought the machine to start testing all his own stuff, and decided to pass that privilege on to fellow hobbyists. As far as the FDA goes, I don't think they hold much jurisdiction in Germany. I am one of the first people who is skeptical of snake oil. Zeovit I think is snake oil, no one can really explain it from the ground up. Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% on tritons side, but its been explained from the ground up. The more I research into it, the more people I talk to about it the more I am leaning towards it. I'm not looking for any insane coral morphs I'm just looking for consistent water parameter for happy coral growth. The cost seems to be right on my end but it's not going to be for everyone

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with u maybe I need to do some more readerch I would appreciate any links that explain in detail how the triton method works and what machines are used to get results. I haven't seen any details yet I guess I need to see more information to make an educated decision.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back