Looking to set up a 40g soft coral/macroalgae reef, could use some advice

WetSquiggle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone .

I have never kept saltwater before, but I've been caring for freshwater tanks forever, and like running Low Tech Planted, Walstad and aquaponic tanks. I like low tech, low maintenance and low power consumption.

I want to set up a 40 gallon breeder as a Macroalgae/soft coral reef. I want to keep red and green macros, and leather, xenia, and kenyi tree coral. I love motion, tentacles, and a full tank. I would also like to keep seastars, and urchins, if possible, and down the line, either damsels or seahorses, and maybe anemones.

I was thinking of starting with a mixture of live and dry rock, and doing a chemical cycle.

My planned equipment is as follows:

300w heater

400gph wavemaker

Small coral LED fixture for the middle of the tank

Freshwater plant LEDs for the macros

20-35lb of rock

Should I start with a sandbed? I used to run my freshwater tanks barebottom with plants in pots for easy maintanence, but have switched over to sand for a more natural look that I like. Can I grow macros in pots? Is it a lot more work to include a full substrate?

Will I need more flow? I hear macros and softies need less flow and light, and I'd rather low power consumption, low cost, less equipment and less noise.

Anyone has good recommendations for a test kit?

Will I have PH and O2 problems at night? I see people run refugium lights at night to balance it out. I've never had an issue with freshwater, will I have an issue here?

Can I store RODI water and saltwater from my LFS, or do I need to drive there every time I do a top off/WC?

Should I buy copepods and other inverts online, or can I get them at my LFS?

How often will I need to feed my coral?

Thank you in advance!

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.
I don’t have exact experience with this type of reef but I can shed some light on some of your questions. Your flow may be hard to get right with just one wave maker. Sand in the tank is useful for bacteria growth and cycling but I wouldn’t think it needed if you use pots for macro. Ascetics really. I would think you would have ph swings due to the amount of photosynthesis going on in the tank and a refugium could help this stabilize. Hang on back or otherwise. I also think with such a low bio load as far as fish go you may have issues growing the stuff unless you dose with nitrates. You can feed most soft corals I believe and it is a great way to accelerate growth. I usually don’t store water for more than 2 weeks and if possible keep movement with a power head in the container(salt water) inverts are cheaper at the lfs and usually grown in separate systems. Seems like a tough first tank. Good luck to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WetSquiggle

WetSquiggle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.
I don’t have exact experience with this type of reef but I can shed some light on some of your questions. Your flow may be hard to get right with just one wave maker.
Would a smaller wavemaker + a power head work? I'd want to keep power use down, if possible.
Sand in the tank is useful for bacteria growth and cycling but I wouldn’t think it needed if you use pots for macro. Ascetics really.
I like sandbeds. I actually have one with tunneling snails in my 55g fw that is a very good almost no matntance biofilter. How hard are they to care for?
I would think you would have ph swings due to the amount of photosynthesis going on in the tank and a refugium could help this stabilize. Hang on back or otherwise.
Would a black divider with the heater and some chaeto behind it with a nightlight work? Could I even use a black box inside the tank? I chose the 40b because it fills the space I have with just enough room to get behind it. I prefer everything inside the tank, I've run canisters, HOBs, and sumps, and very much prefer everything kept inside the tank itself. It's easy to care for, and less likely to make a mess.
I also think with such a low bio load as far as fish go you may have issues growing the stuff unless you dose with nitrates. Youou can feed most soft corals I believe and it is a great way to accelerate growth.
Even with feeding the corals? I don't want to start with a lot of fish, mostly because I don't know saltwater fish very well.
I usually don’t store water for more than 2 weeks and if possible keep movement with a power head in the container(salt water)
Thanks
inverts are cheaper at the lfs and usually grown in separate systems. Seems like a tough first tank.
Why? I was told macros and soft coral are the easiest things to keep, and I'd be staying away from fish or heavy stocking. I was thinking 3-5 colonies in a tank dominated by macros I'd trim.
Good luck to you.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone .

I have never kept saltwater before, but I've been caring for freshwater tanks forever, and like running Low Tech Planted, Walstad and aquaponic tanks. I like low tech, low maintenance and low power consumption.
I want to set up a 40 gallon breeder as a Macroalgae/soft coral reef. I want to keep red and green macros, and leather, xenia, and kenyi tree coral. I love motion, tentacles, and a full tank. I would also like to keep seastars, and urchins, if possible, and down the line, either damsels or seahorses, and maybe anemones.

I was thinking of starting with a mixture of live and dry rock, and doing a chemical cycle.

My planned equipment is as follows:

300w heater

400gph wavemaker

Small coral LED fixture for the middle of the tank

Freshwater plant LEDs for the macros

20-35lb of rock

Should I start with a sandbed? I used to run my freshwater tanks barebottom with plants in pots for easy maintanence, but have switched over to sand for a more natural look that I like. Can I grow macros in pots? Is it a lot more work to include a full substrate?
If you like the more natural look then go with a sand bed. SW macros don't need a substrate and don't come in pots as they attach to rocks or are free floating.
Will I need more flow? I hear macros and softies need less flow and light, and I'd rather low power consumption, low cost, less equipment and less noise.
Yes, they prefer lower flow rates. Rule of thumb is 10x-20x turnover is low flow. Depending on your return pump a 400gph powerhead (in a 40g DT) puts you there.
Anyone has good recommendations for a test kit?
Lots of debate here. Do a search on the Chemistry forum and take a look at some of the threads. Most hobby kits from any of our sponsors will serve you as you get started. You'll settle on the kits you like best over time.
Will I have PH and O2 problems at night? I see people run refugium lights at night to balance it out. I've never had an issue with freshwater, will I have an issue here?
This depends on the CO2 levels in the room in which you keep your tank. If your levels are high the low tech solution is to open a window. :cool:
Can I store RODI water and saltwater from my LFS, or do I need to drive there every time I do a top off/WC?
You can store it.
Should I buy copepods and other inverts online, or can I get them at my LFS?
Your LFS will typically be selling the same products you can get online. I like the Algae Barn.
How often will I need to feed my coral?
Many don't feed at all, others 2 or 3 times a week. Stable water parameters and proper lighting are key.
Thank you in advance!
Christmas greeting.gif

Welcome to R2R!

Upvote 0

SurgeonFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve gotten plenty of responses but I’ll highlight the fact that you can definitely have a low maintenance tank. Reef builders has a video of a red sea nano that he did not do a water change in over six months and it looks great.

He kept the bio load super small and had easy corals like the ones you listed. I would echo his recommendations and feed very lightly and keep the bio load down and let the ecosystem do its work

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back