Looking to set up a different style of tank- suggestions needed

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
In the coming months I will be adding a second tank in my kitchen it will be 42” x 18” x 20” so only about 235L. It will be plumbed into my existing system, so filtration isn’t an issue. The trouble is I can’t decide how to theme/ stock it, my main tank is predominantly sps with some LPS, tbh I’m bored with this direction and looking to try something new. This tank will sit on my breakfast bar so will be seen up close... I’m toying with several ideas so need your help and suggestions, so far ideas are NPS dedicated tank, (trouble is availability of corals seems to be limited) a small eel tank, macroalgae pipefish and seahorse tank, dedicated Mantis tank... or a softy/clam/ sponge/ tunicate tank with small fish...please suggest, doesn’t matter how wacky or out there...

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a little fuzzy lionfish tank? My wife wants seahorses I want a mantis

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of gold dwarf moray in a macro algae tank. Think of it as a display refugium.

Id probably skip the NPS since its plumbed into your main display. The extra feeding might come back and bite you.
It’s funny you say a golden dwarf as I was looking at them earlier, can you have a pair in a tank as there less than a foot long?

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish/seahorse macro algae display refuge with lots of smol critters.

There is a member here with an amazing example of this
Thanks, I’m leaning this way, do you have the members name or a link at all? I think it would be really interesting to watch

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never liked lion fish, but love mantis, but how would I make the tank look nice? I don’t really want a rock pile... I’ll be sat eating looking at it...

I'd want something peaceful sitting eating. I think seahorse macro would be very nice and unique.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but eels are boring unless feeding time. I love my snowflake and it's a cool addition. However, as the main animal it would be extremely boring.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back