Looking to start a new build, want a little help

Jwhisenhunt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a 56 Column I bought from a friend with no sump and everything is HOB. Its messy looking, cables are visible all over, but all in all I still enjoyed getting it going and having my reef. However, we are selling our house and I was told I get to use some of the profits from the sale to upgrade my tank for the new house. I definitely want to go over 100gal, maybe 120+ or so and I want it have all the bells and whistles. It is worth it to buy the Red Sea reefer tanks or are you kind of just buying a name? What accessories really matter, like should I get a refugium, reactor, scrubber, and a skimmer or is getting all of that over doing it? What is a good optimal "under the hood" setup and do any retailers offer that built in to their cabinets? I'll be doing some of my own research to try and figure it out as well, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say, thanks!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a redsea reefer and whilst in general they are nice, I do think they are over priced and would recommend going custom build.
In terms of kit, I would keep it simple to start off with. Theiling rollermat's are a great substitute for filter socks, and get a good skimmer, UV, powerhead, controllable return pump and fuge light.

OP
OP
J

Jwhisenhunt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a redsea reefer and whilst in general they are nice, I do think they are over priced and would recommend going custom build.
In terms of kit, I would keep it simple to start off with. Theiling rollermat's are a great substitute for filter socks, and get a good skimmer, UV, powerhead, controllable return pump and fuge light.
Thanks, I'll look into this

OP
OP
J

Jwhisenhunt81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What timescales are you looking at for a new tank?
Probably the next couple of months. Its going to be inline with the selling and purchase of my new home. If i have to wait for something custom though I wouldn't mind and that timeline could be extended. I plan to hit up my LFS and see what they did for their DT and what their under the hood is like

tas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the chance... go custom. I would go at least 6 ft. It allows you a much wider range of fish and aquascaping.
Filter system depends on what you want. I love lifereef but they are not usually set up for triton or filter rolls. Advanced acrylics will make you anything you want. Synergy reef also has nice sumps.
Buy a controller. Apex? Ekoral? Hydros? GHL? I’m probably missing a few. But an aquarium controller is my favorite “bell and whistle” by far.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have time to look at aquarium manufacturers. I was going to say in your local area, but most places deliver and my new tank is being made 160 miles away from me. Shop around and see what you think of the prospective vendor construction methods. One thing I've noticed in this custom experience is not all aquarium manufacturers are equal.
Good luck and when you're ready, start a build thread, be good to see how you get along with it all.

Back