Looking to start another tank after a 15 year break

scooter8416

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After selling off all my equipment about 15 years ago, I'm now at a point in my life where I want to jump back into the hobby.

There was a distributor warehouse near me that went out of business and I was able to pick up a tank from them. It's a marineland 150 reef ready. (48"x24"x30") I had my mind set on a 180 or something at least 6' long, but the 150 was one of the largest tanks they had left and the price was too good to be true. I do really like the added depth of the tank.

I'm at the point where its time to pull the trigger and get a stand made for the 150 and commit to it, but I'm still on the fence of trying to find a 6' tank. Always wanted a blue power tang or Naso and this would the driving factor for a 6' tank.

On the other hand I could get the 150 going to see if this is something I'll still enjoy with out going "all in" right way. I could upsize down the road.

Looking for some feedback/stories if anyone else went down this decision path before and what they ended up doing. Thanks in advance!

ZX6Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

If you want the 6 foot tank and can afford it I would go for it. I'm a nano guy, but I know if I had my heart set on a larger size and didn't pull the trigger I would regret it. The tank is the cheap part, anyway.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of the hobby for 4 or 5 years and thought I'd be satisfied with a 3 ft sps tank. Less than a year later, I got a 6 foot tank!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! If you really want the 6ft tank I would go for that! Just keep in mind the tank should also be at least 2-2.5ft wide for the powder blue and naso to swim around. Looking forward to seeing you get the tank started!

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't it's necessary to have a 6 footer for a pbt as long as there's enough swimming room.

I had a 6 footer before and I found them to be too cumbersome for me to maintain vs. 4ft tank.
6 feet means more lighting is required for starter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back