Looking to switch over to LED but who should I choose?

Seasonedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make the switch but with so many options out there who should I go with? I'm leaning more towards a fixture as I am too lazy to for a diy project. So far I am looking toward Ecoxotic panorama retro, Reefkoi Evolution, or something along those lines. I am open for any suggestions. I have a 75 gal mixed reef mainly sps dominated. Im very interested in your guys feed back and thanks for reading my post.

I

inactive

View Badges
Illuminariums hands down, I got the 120w dual switch... love it...

I actually got to sit it side by side next to a "300w" Led system from one of the sponsors here and they were the same thing... mine was actually better haha.

Illuminarium FTW.

reefer10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 watt led fixtures Luke at reeffiltration have look very promising, and he is great guy to do business with and in general a great guy.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three of Luke's fixtures and I couldn't be happier with them. They're rediculously bright, and have a nice color....not too blue, not too white.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going through the same thing and this is where I'm at. I have a 75gal mixed reef also.

I really like Luke's lights, I've seen them on swannyson's tank and they look great. However I wonder if it might be too much light for a 75. You can always bring them up but for me that would not be an option because I'd want to put them in a canopy and don't want it to be too tall. But if thats no big deal for you then It would be nice because you can keep them if you were to upgrade.

I've thought about the reefkoi lights also, but I like the color on Luke's and wonder if reefkoi's would be too blue for my taste. If you like a lot of blue then these might be better suited for your tank.

I don't know anything about the other lights that you mentioned but Reef LED's kits are pretty easy and can be dimable. Its the cheapest way to have dimable lights that I've come across. I picked up one of his kits for my frag tank. Thats my take on things, hope it helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide as I haven't made up my mind either.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make the switch but with so many options out there who should I go with? I'm leaning more towards a fixture as I am too lazy to for a diy project. So far I am looking toward Ecoxotic panorama retro, Reefkoi Evolution, or something along those lines. I am open for any suggestions. I have a 75 gal mixed reef mainly sps dominated. Im very interested in your guys feed back and thanks for reading my post.

The Evolution/Reefkoi Colour is outstanding!!! I've seen the fixture at the MidWest Frag Fest and really like it. However penetration and PAR may be an issue with a 75 gal worst case you may have to double up the fixtures to get the PAR you want at the bottom, but IMHO they are a decent fixture and well worth the price and doubling them up is still less than most commercial fixtures with this quality of light.

Personally I'm a fan of DIY but it truly is a lot of homework.

MaxSpect is also a viable option but at a higher cost.

Bill

Last edited:

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, huge diff between the two. The evolution is 119 1w led's driven at .78w a pop for a total of 94w. My fixture's are 119 3w led's driven at 1.26w a piece for a total of 150w with 60 degree optics. 24" with reefkoi your looking at 100 par and 24" with mine your looking at 400 par. It just depends on what your looking to do. If your looking at keeping softies and chalice reefkoi is a great fixture, if you want sps the 150 watter is going to be much better. If your looking for DIY, talk to bill. If you want power, dimmability and all the bells and whistles, then look at the AI. All the above are nice, just gotta meet your application.

OP
OP
Seasonedreefer

Seasonedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luke what kind of LEDs are in your fixture? and are they replaceable say after that 5 year 50,000 hours time span? If so what is the cost associated? Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to get the best bang for the buck

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 3w bridgelux on the blue's and white's and phillips on the red's. You could replace them if your a DIY guy. Personally i will see whats goin on with them after they run for yrs. I have a feeling in 5yrs we will all be running something different in the hobby.

I

inactive

View Badges
Lukes 119 x 3w fixture puts out the same light as my illuminarium 120w, however the illuminarium is dual corded with two switches to turn the blue and or white leds off/on... with the white leds off, my fixture is like an actintic halide. I had the chance to set these fixtures side by side at the reef meet I held last weekend.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lukes 119 x 3w fixture puts out the same light as my illuminarium 120w, however the illuminarium is dual corded with two switches to turn the blue and or white leds off/on... with the white leds off, my fixture is like an actintic halide. I had the chance to set these fixtures side by side at the reef meet I held last weekend.

Kraylen, this is 100% incorrect data you are spreading. Your 120w fixture is not nearly as powerful as the 150w fixture's i carry. They are NOT close to being the same. Both have 119 diodes in them yes but yours are being driven at .78w a piece for a total of 94w so your 120w fixture actually pulls only 94w of LED. Mine have 119 3w diodes in them being pushed at 1.26w a piece for a total of 150w of LED. So the one's i carry push 56w more not to mention the huge diff between a 1w and 3w led. Both have two cord's and two switches yes but the power between the two is not comparable. The par of my fixture's pull 4x's that of any 120w led like yours.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luke's fixtures are pretty powerful. My buddy has a cap that is growing down away from the light, lol. He has three over a 180 and has sps on the sandbed. You won't find yourself wondering if it's enough light that's for sure.

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i am reading on the base Luminarium fixtures are similar to the Reefkois.

All these LEDS are bridgelux/philips

(1w fixture)
reebox 120 contain 1 watt leds - looks like the reefkoi product but is $400 (reefkoi's equivalent is $300).

vs (3w fixture)
reef filtration light contains 3 watt leds for $470
Luminarium's Lumen sky (uses CREE instead of bridgelux) - $670 to $824

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back