Looking to upgrade to a Waterbox Platinum 75.2 and have a sump question

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really wanting to pull the trigger on the Waterbox Platinum 75.2. However, I really want to incorporate either a chaeto reactor or refugium in the sump. As I understand it there is no room. I don't want to convert the ATO chamber since I like that feature. Any suggestion for this? It's really the only hang up I have.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of how the sump fits into the 75.2. I would say if going to do a cheato reactor you would end up needing to mount it up over the sump or possibly fit it in the return pump chamber depending on size. As you can see we definitely maximize the size of the sump to fill the stand of the 75.2. A great thing to have a larger sump but there isn't much room around sump for additional equipment. Hope this helps some :)

75.2 sump.jpg

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like there are four compartments. one section for the return pump, one section for the skimmer, another is the ATO. What is the 4th?

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like there are four compartments. one section for the return pump, one section for the skimmer, another is the ATO. What is the 4th?

The one where the pipes are sitting in this picture is the drain chamber which then flows into the socks. From there it goes to skimmer chamber

jpluttme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how does one convert the ATO chamber in the platinum series sumps to a refugium?

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jpluttme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cldormer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of how the sump fits into the 75.2. I would say if going to do a cheato reactor you would end up needing to mount it up over the sump or possibly fit it in the return pump chamber depending on size. As you can see we definitely maximize the size of the sump to fill the stand of the 75.2. A great thing to have a larger sump but there isn't much room around sump for additional equipment. Hope this helps some :)

75.2 sump.jpg
image.jpeg
So I got my 2017 WB 75.2 and the sump for it looks nothing like the one that is posted here. Mine looks more like the 40.1 with the ATO resivoir in the front and the pump chamber in the rear across from the filter socks. Was this a late 2017 redesign? I like it better this way I think... It puts the ATO and the skimmer right at the front of the sump-(though dragging the filter socks across the skimmer chamber is still required). I was personally dreading filling the ATO. Now it appears with this sump it won't be such a pain! Am looking at this correct?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a better design, the old design had these full sump covers that were basically useless and having the ATO reservoir up front is much better for refilling.
Did they at least put a notch on the front facing glass pane of the drain chamber? I questioned the design and was told that it would take a "lot" for the sock to clog and overflow the other 3 chambers, not the answer I was looking for!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back