Looks like a favia but...

octoberfest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought this last year I was told it looks like a favia but it's not. The name started with a P and it's from Australia...supposedly.

Personally I think it's a favia but I figured I might as well throw it up here for an ID.

frag011.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they call it platgyra?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess would be goniastrea. otherwise known as pgoniastrea. :)

Whatever it is, i love the texture on it! Great piece.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For perspective, how large are most of those coralites? And is he big enough to see if he's ball/dome or flat in colony shape?

Until I get more info, I'm going to say there are some Favites that look similar....don't think Favia as it appear the coralites are sharing walls, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong. There are some Favia that otherwise look similar. Goniatrea share walls too, but rarely look that poofy...usually more skeletal. Platygyra (aka Maze Brain) is also possible, but they don't always have uniformly shaped coralites...often having several mouths in a long coralite "run". Those are the more common ones for sure.

Faviidae is a very, very large family and there are a couple other Genus aside from those already mentioned that could be candidates as well. From a photo and quick browse of Corals of the World (which means completely winging it) my best guess from many possibilites is a Favites.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

octoberfest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For perspective, how large are most of those coralites? And is he big enough to see if he's ball/dome or flat in colony shape?

Until I get more info, I'm going to say there are some Favites that look similar....don't think Favia as it appear the coralites are sharing walls, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong. There are some Favia that otherwise look similar. Goniatrea share walls too, but rarely look that poofy...usually more skeletal. Platygyra (aka Maze Brain) is also possible, but they don't always have uniformly shaped coralites...often having several mouths in a long coralite "run". Those are the more common ones for sure.

Faviidae is a very, very large family and there are a couple other Genus aside from those already mentioned that could be candidates as well. From a photo and quick browse of Corals of the World (which means completely winging it) my best guess from many possibilites is a Favites.

-Matt

It's growing in a dome. I'll get some more detailed pics this week (shoot for tomorrow)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back