Looks like an anemone but flees the light?

Discussion in 'Hitchhiker & Critter ID' started by MichelleRay, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MichelleRay

MichelleRay Active Member

I saw it only for a second this morning when I turned on the lights. When I first got my rock a few days ago there was a huge clam blocking my view of this spot but the clam decided to move elsewhere, so this morning I was able to see behind where it was attached. There were maybe 6-8 tentacles poking up from the rocks, about half a fingernail tall. It's a tiny baby whatever it is. About 2-3 seconds after the lights came on the thing retreated and it hasn't come back out over an hour later.

The tentacles were definitely anemone-like. They were transparent with spots of color, orange I think but not 100% sure, and in shape reminded me of a bubble tip anemone. They were arranged in a ring but not all at the same height, so I think it was laying along an irregular hole in the rock and conforming to that shape a bit.

I can find no trace of it now and obviously I didn't get a picture as I was not expecting to see a thing there lol. It did not look anything like an aiptasia other than being anemone-like. The color and tentacle shape were all wrong.

Any ideas? o_O

Oh and if it helps any the rock is from off the Florida coast on the gulf side.

Tags:

2. aKlevans

aKlevans Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Possibly majano?

3. marktea

marktea Well-Known Member

I have no idea but it sounds interesting. Tagging along in the hopes you find it again

4. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Maybe a feeding Cucumber.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  5. MichelleRay

I checked some photos of majanos, but I'm not sure. I had some of those in a previous tank, but this one doesn't seem the same to me. I could be wrong and I'll be keeping an eye on it, but the retreat from light thing is certainly odd for them and the colors are not looking quite right.

6. Palyzoa

Palyzoa Well-Known Member ETRC Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Check photos of ball anemone or strawberry anemone

Claus84 and sfin52 like this.
  7. MichelleRay

I moved the rock around so I could see properly and I was able to get a much better look. From what I can tell I think it's just an aiptasia. Very sad as I like anemones. I would have loved a less invasive hitchhiker one. I think this guy is going to have to go though. Pictures for confirmation. The central disk is green while the tentacles are clear with brownish stripes.

[​IMG]

With flash
    [​IMG]

Pictures wouldn't come out clear no matter how steady I was but hopefully this helps.

8. sfin52

sfin52 Well-Known Member

That's really neat looking. I thought aiptasia has long thin tentacles not usually fat and compact like the pics.

9. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Personally I would play it safe. Too many times these unusual anemones are just another invasive anemone type like Majano or glass anemones which is a catch all anemone in the Aiptasia class.

DSC reef, Ergodyne, KJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. sfin52

sfin52 Well-Known Member

Have you tried daisy anemones.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  11. MichelleRay

See that is what I thought. I am not 100% sure it is a pest, and I really hate to kill one if it's not. What also strikes me as odd is that it is just one. I've looked all over and haven't spotted a single other. It does kind of remind me of a daisy anemone, but those are not supposed to live around Florida where this rock is from. It's quite confusing lol. For now I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I will be watching very closely.

ETA It hasn't fully extruded all day either. Not like when I first saw it. I am going to see if it does so once the lights are off. It doesn't seem to care for lights though. I've only got the LEDs that came with my fish tank on there right now too so I don't imagine they're all that bright.

sfin52 likes this.
  12. flsalty

flsalty Well-Known Member

Warty sea anemone?

13. Apotack

Apotack Well-Known Member

I have them or something similar in my tank been there for years don’t know what they are but they are harmless.

14. MichelleRay

I just found the tiniest of baby anemones on top of the cyanobacteria on some rock near this one. It wasn't anchored so I have it in a test tube at the moment. Not sure what to do with it now that I caught it. o.0

15. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Looks to be a pest. With one you see there will be another to follow. Keep an eye out.

sfin52 likes this.
  16. flsalty

flsalty Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever done a test tube nano? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted