Looks like I'm going fallow

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After extensive research and what seems to be no other option, it looks like I need my tank to go fallow in order to eliminate velvet. The tough part will definitely be catching all the fish. I have a 10 gallon qt and am getting a 20 gallon tank from Petco, to use as qt. I plan on splitting the fish up between the two and treating both. I was able to find some CP but only enough for the 10 gallon tank. I plan on using copper power in the 20 gallon at a 2.00ppm copper level.

So my question is, when I remove the fish from the tank and split them up between the 20 and the 10, when should I start medicating the quarantine tanks and how long should they be medicated for? I don't believe I should medicate both tanks for the entire 6 week fallow that the display tank will be going through. Also, what can I use for biological filtration when the tanks are being medicated? Or is my only choise to fight ammonia levels with prime during the entire period? Thanks for all the help

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filters ( I like Aquaclear) with the foam pad soaked in something like BioSpira, Dr. Tim's works great. Cannot run carbon during treatment. Also consider adding a mesh bag with either Seachem's Matrix or Fluval's BioMax that's also soaked with BS or Dr. Tims.
A foam bubble filter with, you guessed it, soak the foam in BS or Dr. Tims.
And a powerhead in each tank aimed up at the surface so it actively ripples the water's surface will help provide O2 for the fish.

Copper for 30 days at therapeutic. Or 14 days and then move the fish to a fresh, clean tank for another 14 days of observation. You can use Prime with a "chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.
Do not use Prime with Cupramine.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filters ( I like Aquaclear) with the foam pad soaked in something like BioSpira, Dr. Tim's works great. Cannot run carbon during treatment. Also consider adding a mesh bag with either Seachem's Matrix or Fluval's BioMax that's also soaked with crap or Dr. Tims.
A foam bubble filter with, you guessed it, soak the foam in crap or Dr. Tims.
And a powerhead in each tank aimed up at the surface so it actively ripples the water's surface will help provide O2 for the fish.

Copper for 30 days at therapeutic. Or 14 days and then move the fish to a fresh, clean tank for another 14 days of observation. You can use Prime with a "chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.
Do not use Prime with Cupramine.
After the thirty days at therapeutic levels, do I slowly bring the copper levels down or should I do a large water change to bring down? If they are in copper for more than 30 days, will that harm the fish? Only reason being, the tank will not be able to put fish in it for at least 50 days so I wouldn't be able to put them back in the display right away

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After completing the 30 days, do a 50% water change, and then the next day do another 50% water change. That will remove approx 75% of the copper. Then run carbon or Cuprisorb, and smaller water changes to remove the rest of the copper, until your fallow period is over in the DT.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back