Looks like really dark green algae clumps on sand??

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from being away 3 months to discover large dark green chunks what appears to be algae on the sand bed. Never had this before. Does not appear on any of my 400 lbs of rock. A bit strange. Anyone know definitively what it is and how to get rid of it? Water changes were done on schedule as always when I was gone. The fish in my FOWLR don't seem to care and all look good but the tangs or angels are not eating it…and they love algae? Hmmmmm Thx, Julio

C8CC704E-4B46-4D91-B39B-243F8A12DEE3.jpeg C62DD4CF-381B-44B9-A9FF-2B0936B6485A.jpeg 3BB232A9-943D-4948-B456-417618FB0820.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a green cyanobacteria. I'd carefully siphon off all the discolored sand, rinse in fresh water, soak in H2O2 for a day or so, rinse again in fresh water then let it sit for a day or so before returning to the tank.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a green cyanobacteria. I'd carefully siphon off all the discolored sand, rinse in fresh water, soak in H2O2 for a day or so, rinse again in fresh water then let it sit for a day or so before returning to the tank.
Thx will do. Is it harmful to water quality or fish? How can I prevent it i n the future? Is this water quality related? Thx again.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is related both to water quality and to the ecosystem equilibrium. As to it's harmful effects on corals and fish it depends. The amounts shown in your pictures I wouldn't worry about. But, algae and cyano produce Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) compounds that research has shown can promote pathogenic shifts in coral microbiomes. Another variable at play is the extend cyrptic sponges in a reef ecosystem are recycling DOC and returning stuff back to the food webs in an ecosystem. This is a very complex subject and there's still tons of research to be done but here's some links and videos you might find informative. But first read this article here on R2R on establisihng a healthy microbiome:

Forest ROhwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" (kindle ~$10, paperback ~$17) is an excellent introduction to the conflicting roles the various types of DOC play in reef systems. His video produced by University of California is an excellent companion to the book and I'd encourage you to study both of them.

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Back