LordNecro’s Red Sea Max Nano (High-end Softie/LPS Tank)

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first tank! I'm doing a high-end softie and lps tank.

The tank and equipment are:
Red Sea Max Nano (20 gallon)
AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro 120P - Auto Top Off System
Trigger Systems Triton ATO 5 Gallon Reservoir
100W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater
EcoTech Vortech MP10WQD Quietdrive Propeller Pump

I cycled with caribsea Fiji pink live sand and liferock. I used Dr. Tim's one and only as well as their ammonia.

My livestock list is:
Mocha storm and orange storm clown
Firefish

Rainbow Scoly
ASD HG Torch (1 head)
Aussie Gold Torch (2h)
NY Knicks Torch (1h)
Indo Bright Gold Hammer (3h)
UC Ironman Blasto (1h 2 baby)
Rdpd Blasto (5h)
JF ******* Zoa (4p)
GMK Zoa (1p)
White Zombie (4p)
Money Shot (4p)
Mythical Corals Electus Mushroom (3 large 2 babies)
UC Amazeball Goni

Others I plan to have are:
Pink-Streaked Wrasse
Yellow Watcherman or Yasha Goby

More coral for the sandbed. Maybe HG micromussa, rainbow acans, master scoly? If I get a magnetic frag rock I am definitely getting a TCK master torch though

IMG_2278.jpg

Last edited:

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you screwed up at all but we’ll see when others chime in. I’m pretty sure bacteria can survive a wide range of temp and 68 seems not too bad some peoples tanks can get down there in a power outage and recover just fine. When I set up my tank I filled it up with rodi then added salt directly and have had no issues.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you screwed up at all but we’ll see when others chime in. I’m pretty sure bacteria can survive a wide range of temp and 68 seems not too bad some peoples tanks can get down there in a power outage and recover just fine. When I set up my tank I filled it up with rodi then added salt directly and have had no issues.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm hoping for the best. Hopefully, the cycle takes a week but if it takes longer that's fine as well.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine on the bacteria although you may have lost a bit not introducing at proper temp I did the same this but in 180 system.
Your for sure going to want to set up a mixing station for your water changes. You can get off the charts reading on new salt mix as to day old salt mix with a little pump mixing it.
How is everything looking now?
It took me 6 weeks to get through the cycle but I made alot of mistakes along the way with upgrades to system and most likely restarting my cycle over.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been cycling for 32 days. I posted a thread if I was done as my tank still can't reduce 2pmm ammonia in a day. Someone insists that my cycle is done because there is a set time for bacteria to set on rock. And also says nitrite is not important which I have read others saying. Here are my parameters. Every spike in ammonia and nitrite is because I added 2ppm ammonia.
C4291A90-6F9A-42AC-9F03-C084A6FF4414.png

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have people saying my cycle is most likely over so I’ll pick up a pair of clowns this weekend. Then I’ll slowly add more livestock. Maybe a cuc a week after the clowns, then a wrasse/goby and pistol shrimp pair a week after cuc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for coral placement I’m thinking ahead but maybe a torch on the left elevated area? And the two other torches on the top as well. Blasto will definitely be on the left bottom rock. Mushroom on the small bottom right rock. The 3 different zoas on the right structure rock. GMK on a frag rack. Scoly on the left hand sand bed most likely. Any other corals for the sandbed on a corner perhaps? Maybe a Goni?

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been cycling for 32 days. I posted a thread if I was done as my tank still can't reduce 2pmm ammonia in a day. Someone insists that my cycle is done because there is a set time for bacteria to set on rock. And also says nitrite is not important which I have read others saying. Here are my parameters. Every spike in ammonia and nitrite is because I added 2ppm ammonia.
C4291A90-6F9A-42AC-9F03-C084A6FF4414.png
If your still concerned, watch this video, it might help with understanding where your cycle is at.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first week of livestock has passed! Clowns and cuc looking good. Clowns I feed 2 times a day, with a mixture of tdo and pe pellets as well as hikari and pe frozen mysis. Since my tank is new, the cuc don't have much algae to eat, so I feed a little extra so it sinks and the second they land I see snails and hermit crabs on the move. I felt like I shouldn't have added such a large cuc since the tank is so new and should be introduced in stages, but reef cleaners has a minimum purchase which I could not reach so I just bought the 17-gallon package. I have one snail casualty from a hermit crab and a hermit crab casualty not sure how. I think John shipped extras, but the package was supposed to have 4 hermits but I definitely have way more than 4, maybe 10 even. I don't want to seem like a monster but I hope some of them die. Going to add another fish next Sunday, either a goby or wrasse. When should I add coral? Also, god water changes are such a pain. I bought a python easy fill but it turns out non of my faucets have threads. Then I bought a sicce pump, but the tubing of the python is way too long so filling and removing water takes two people, one holding the tubes up. Might have to look for a shorter tube. Just used buckets instead.

RED BANDANA REEFING

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first week of livestock has passed! Clowns and cuc looking good. Clowns I feed 2 times a day, with a mixture of tdo and pe pellets as well as hikari and pe frozen mysis. Since my tank is new, the cuc don't have much algae to eat, so I feed a little extra so it sinks and the second they land I see snails and hermit crabs on the move. I felt like I shouldn't have added such a large cuc since the tank is so new and should be introduced in stages, but reef cleaners has a minimum purchase which I could not reach so I just bought the 17-gallon package. I have one snail casualty from a hermit crab and a hermit crab casualty not sure how. I think John shipped extras, but the package was supposed to have 4 hermits but I definitely have way more than 4, maybe 10 even. I don't want to seem like a monster but I hope some of them die. Going to add another fish next Sunday, either a goby or wrasse. When should I add coral? Also, god water changes are such a pain. I bought a python easy fill but it turns out non of my faucets have threads. Then I bought a sicce pump, but the tubing of the python is way too long so filling and removing water takes two people, one holding the tubes up. Might have to look for a shorter tube. Just used buckets instead.

Glad to hear most of your livestock is all well and healthy!!
just my opinion but be very careful with your clean up crew you really dont need many at all for example when i cycled my 525XL i had 3 snails and it was plenty trust me! But dont let them die!!! Give them away

i also think feeding twice a say in way too heavy (again only in my opinion) i would feed twice a week and thats all or your levels with fluctuate (especially in a nano tank). You may think your fish are hungry but in reality fish are always hungry!!! (or look like they are)

As for coral I usually wait until around the 3-6 month mark to really Let everything bed in and the bacteria form but any time is fine depending on what you put it and you have stable parameters

We all loathe water changes (dont care what anyone says) but check out the fluval website and they a lot of different siphons and they are reliable. Some are longer than others and some are better at getting crap off the same etc.... then just pump or pour in your freshly made saltwater

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear most of your livestock is all well and healthy!!
just my opinion but be very careful with your clean up crew you really dont need many at all for example when i cycled my 525XL i had 3 snails and it was plenty trust me! But dont let them die!!! Give them away

i also think feeding twice a say in way too heavy (again only in my opinion) i would feed twice a week and thats all or your levels with fluctuate (especially in a nano tank). You may think your fish are hungry but in reality fish are always hungry!!! (or look like they are)

As for coral I usually wait until around the 3-6 month mark to really Let everything bed in and the bacteria form but any time is fine depending on what you put it and you have stable parameters

We all loathe water changes (dont care what anyone says) but check out the fluval website and they a lot of different siphons and they are reliable. Some are longer than others and some are better at getting crap off the same etc.... then just pump or pour in your freshly made saltwater
Thanks! As you mentioned yeah I should have been more careful with my cuc. Some of them are way too early like hermits and even an emerald crab. Like I mentioned I needed to reach a minimum order from reefcleaners or I would have just started with a few snails. As for feeding I always read that feeding twice a day rather than once is more beneficial for the fish? But twice a week? Isn’t that a too little? All the food are finished by my cuc. As for giving them away, don’t know anybody else in the hobby as I’m new. If someone is in Fresh Meadows NYC and would take some hermits I would happily give them away. Also thinking to introducing coral in a week or two.

RED BANDANA REEFING

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! As you mentioned yeah I should have been more careful with my cuc. Some of them are way too early like hermits and even an emerald crab. Like I mentioned I needed to reach a minimum order from reefcleaners or I would have just started with a few snails. As for feeding I always read that feeding twice a day rather than once is more beneficial for the fish? But twice a week? Isn’t that a too little? All the food are finished by my cuc. As for giving them away, don’t know anybody else in the hobby as I’m new. If someone is in Fresh Meadows NYC and would take some hermits I would happily give them away. Also thinking to introducing coral in a week or two.

I understand sometimes that company’s have minimum orders and it sucks, dont you have a LFS where you could hand pick your CUC??

As with everything in this hobby all information is opinion based rather than factual and i have always always only fed twice a week and fish have all grown and looked healthy (once you get into harder to keep species like copperband butterflies or mandarins then its different) But the damage that over feeding can do to your tank is catastrophic! The aim of A CUC Is that they are there to graze on EXCESS food that fish dont eat but at the moment your feeding them to keep them alive essentially so they are not doing what they are supposed to and at the same time your putting your tank at risk of a ammonia spike and they are fun!!!

Also remember that every tank is different and not every tank needs CUC

RBD

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand sometimes that company’s have minimum orders and it sucks, dont you have a LFS where you could hand pick your CUC??

As with everything in this hobby all information is opinion based rather than factual and i have always always only fed twice a week and fish have all grown and looked healthy (once you get into harder to keep species like copperband butterflies or mandarins then its different) But the damage that over feeding can do to your tank is catastrophic! The aim of A CUC Is that they are there to graze on EXCESS food that fish dont eat but at the moment your feeding them to keep them alive essentially so they are not doing what they are supposed to and at the same time your putting your tank at risk of a ammonia spike and they are fun!!!

Also remember that every tank is different and not every tank needs CUC

RBD
Thanks again, I’ll tone it down and try doing 3-4 times a week lol. Yeah like your saying I’m basically feeding to keep them alive now, as I basically don’t have any algae yet, lights have only been turned on for a week so either tank is too new or it’s already being eaten before I see it. I did notice a tiny bit of ammonia before my water change, wasn’t sure if it was user error or over feeding.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for LFS I only been to one and honestly did not check if they had or not, probably should have. Probably don't even need a cuc other than two snails or something as you mentioned. I'll think about removing my hermit crabs, just need someplace to give them to, or else might have to throw them out.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed 13 hermits today. I still see 3 of them under the rock so I couldn't remove them. Not sure if there are more in their shells but hopefully not. After only feeding them one time yesterday now they constantly swim to me when they see me lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back