loseing new sps coral

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my salt water tank been running about 8 weeks, have purchase 3 sps to date , and ive lost them all, my tank is 800 deep 300lt, i placed these corals mid to bottom of tank, running led lighting that was reading below par, have now adjusted so top tank close to 200 par, and bottom tank 120 par.would lack of lighting caused them to die of, and im still getting plenty of algie, have turf scrubber,a skimmer, and now a carbon filter, its getting a bit frustrating now, please can someone advise/

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Is this your first tank? SPS can die for a variety of reasons, chief of which is probably the age of your tank. I see you are focused on your lighting, but have neglected to mention any chemistry parameters. SPS are pretty tolerant of lower lights, so I don't think that's what's killing them. My guess is your chemistry is off or your tank is not stable enough for SPS at this point.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Is this your first tank? SPS can die for a variety of reasons, chief of which is probably the age of your tank. I see you are focused on your lighting, but have neglected to mention any chemistry parameters. SPS are pretty tolerant of lower lights, so I don't think that's what's killing them. My guess is your chemistry is off or your tank is not stable enough for SPS at this point.
Age of tank

OP
OP
H

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Andrew my temp at 25, ph 7.96, nh3 at 0.026 , i do have a lot of algie , not a very big clean up crew,change water ro water ,now at every two weeks, salt levels were down but now adjusted,

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is probably too young for SPS. Has your tank started growing any coralline algae (basically a sign your tank is on the right track) and is it taken over by algae (tons of new tanks). I’m not the one to ask for SPS coral, I don’t really prefer them, but 8 weeks is still a bit too soon. Also may I ask what SPS they were? Some are much harder than others.

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on age of tank and ++1 on water chemistry. What’s your alk and salinity swing per day?

OP
OP
H

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is probably too young for SPS. Has your tank started growing any coralline algae (basically a sign your tank is on the right track) and is it taken over by algae (tons of new tanks). I’m not the one to ask for SPS coral, I don’t really prefer them, but 8 weeks is still a bit too soon. Also may I ask what SPS they were? Some are much harder than others.
thankyou, coralline algie being the redish type algae, thats in my tank ,i tend to clean side every other day, will need to forward types of sps, thought i could just place in and think all will work okay,

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankyou, coralline algie being the redish type algae, thats in my tank ,i tend to clean side every other day, will need to forward types of sps, thought i could just place in and think all will work okay,
Coralline algae is tough and doesn’t rub off unless you’re using a razor blade does this red-ish algae rub off super easily? Also like asked above have you tested your Alkalinity yet and seen how much your SPS “consume”? SPS need stability big time and small swings in Alk can totally have a detrimental affect.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one cause of sps death is doing stuff. Typically too much stuff too fast.

Too clean of a tank = dead sps
Increasing alk too much = dead sps
Changing alk levels too fast = dead sps
Moving sps around too much = dead sps
Adjusting lights like crazy = dead sps

OP
OP
H

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae is tough and doesn’t rub off unless you’re using a razor blade does this red-ish algae rub off super easily? Also like asked above have you tested your Alkalinity yet and seen how much your SPS “consume”? SPS need stability big time and small swings in Alk can totally have a detrimental affect.
8 weeks and sps don’t mix imo
good, is that because ive done everything to early, ie introducing coral

OP
OP
H

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one cause of sps death is doing stuff. Typically too much stuff too fast.

Too clean of a tank = dead sps
Increasing alk too much = dead sps
Changing alk levels too fast = dead sps
Moving sps around too much = dead sps
Adjusting lights like crazy = dead sps
blimey, a lot going on there, and to be honest being new at it, ive done all the above,

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good, is that because ive done everything to early, ie introducing coral
Imo yes, a traditional cycle for a tank is around couple to a few month in my opinion. I am cycling my tank now but I won’t be adding any corals anytime soon especially sps. Lots of people would agree adding easy sps like stylo or monti or birdsnest at around 6 months mark to test the “water” to see if your tank is ready.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is just too new and being a newbie= dead sps. End of story.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By no mean I am an expert but I remember I had a birdsnest maybe when the tank was about a year old and sure enough died within a couple of months. Now after two years, most of my sps are doing ok but still a few are dying. It’s not an easy hobby lol.

OP
OP
H

hallawell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 weeks and sps don’t mix imo
Imo yes, a traditional cycle for a tank is around couple to a few month in my opinion. I am cycling my tank now but I won’t be adding any corals anytime soon especially sps. Lots of people would agree adding easy sps like stylo or monti or birdsnest at around 6 months mark to test the “water” to see if your tank is ready.
got it , thats the way to go, cheers

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back