Losing battle to Cyano.

CanesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

I've been dealing with an outbreak of cyano for about 2 months now and im growing increasingly frustrated with the situation. At first i wasn't sure if what i was dealing with was in fact cyano so i visited serveral of my LFS. Every single person said it was cyano and recommended red slime remover. Well, since then ive gone through about 4 different treatments as well as weekly water changes and there has been ZERO impact. I turned the skimmer off as well as removed my carbon filtration and still nothing. Im starting to entertain the idea of gradually removing my sand bed as well as blacking out my tank. Im here to ask for any advice you guys can give. Will have my parameters up later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Forgot to mention above that my tank is about 8-10 months old.

Equipment:
IceCap 1k Gyre (40%)
Hydor koralia nano 240
Stock RSM130 Protein skimmer
Stock RSM130 Return pumps
Ai Prime HD
Tunze 3152 ATO

Heres a picture of the "Cyano" im dealing with.
1563803471883.png

OP
OP
CanesReef

CanesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding some more info: I do make my own rodi water (0 TDS) and use red sea coral pro salt mix.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

I've been dealing with an outbreak of cyano for about 2 months now and im growing increasingly frustrated with the situation. At first i wasn't sure if what i was dealing with was in fact cyano so i visited serveral of my LFS. Every single person said it was cyano and recommended red slime remover. Well, since then ive gone through about 4 different treatments as well as weekly water changes and there has been ZERO impact. I turned the skimmer off as well as removed my carbon filtration and still nothing. Im starting to entertain the idea of gradually removing my sand bed as well as blacking out my tank. Im here to ask for any advice you guys can give. Will have my parameters up later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Forgot to mention above that my tank is about 8-10 months old.

Equipment:
IceCap 1k Gyre (40%)
Hydor koralia nano 240
Stock RSM130 Protein skimmer
Stock RSM130 Return pumps
Ai Prime HD
Tunze 3152 ATO

Heres a picture of the "Cyano" im dealing with.
1563803471883.png
Could be dinos. I would ID it with a microscope. If you don’t have a microscope you can likely ID it with a cheap one for about $10.

OP
OP
CanesReef

CanesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos. I would ID it with a microscope. If you don’t have a microscope you can likely ID it with a cheap one for about $10.
This is what i was suspecting from the beginning but other told me cyano.. Lets say that this is a case of a dino outbreak. From what ive read, people have torn down their tanks bc of this. Or on the other hand some others suggest a UV Sterilizer. To be honest im leaning toward starting everything over. Unless theres a better way of dealing with this that im not aware of.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i was suspecting from the beginning but other told me cyano.. Lets say that this is a case of a dino outbreak. From what ive read, people have torn down their tanks bc of this. Or on the other hand some others suggest a UV Sterilizer. To be honest im leaning toward starting everything over. Unless theres a better way of dealing with this that im not aware of.
If I were you, I would want to know if it were dinos. You might be able to prevent it from happening again. If it is dinos, many species can be eradicated with UV. If you tear down your tank and it is dinos, they will likely find their way into your new system if you put anything from your old system in it.

I’ve been reefing for a long time. When I had dinos about a year ago, it really sucked. I lost animals that I had for a long time. But after dealing with them, l feel I learned a lot and am ready to tackle them if they ever rear up again. More importantly I feel I can prevent them now.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good threads on fighting dino but they are loooooong.

I've been trying to find a link to Cruz Arias' method but can't seem to find it. Anyone know where to find it? Starting to think it may only be in FB

I do know that it involves battling with bacteria and bubble scrubbing.

I'm fighting cyanobacteria at the moment. Manual removal, bubble scrubbing and bacterial dosing has started to knock it back pretty well

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? if it is red slime, i used Chemi-Clean, works a treat and mine never returned (youtube it).
If its brown i just got a few turbo snails and they cleaned it up nice and good within a few days. after a year of having my tank i don't get brown or red algae anymore. its part of the cycle. if your tanks is over a year you probably already know this.
hope this helps

OP
OP
CanesReef

CanesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? if it is red slime, i used Chemi-Clean, works a treat and mine never returned (youtube it).
If its brown i just got a few turbo snails and they cleaned it up nice and good within a few days. after a year of having my tank i don't get brown or red algae anymore. its part of the cycle. if your tanks is over a year you probably already know this.
hope this helps
My tank is 8-10 months old, i have a full clean up crew of turbos, hermits, and nas snails. I havent tried Chemi-Clean but i did try the Red Slime Remover. Did about 4 rounds of that treatment and nothing happened, thats why im stumped.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 8-10 months old, i have a full clean up crew of turbos, hermits, and nas snails. I havent tried Chemi-Clean but i did try the Red Slime Remover. Did about 4 rounds of that treatment and nothing happened, thats why im stumped.
That may be the issue is that it isn't cyano. I'm more expert but to me looks more like dino

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d give an update on this... UV sterilizer for the win!!!! Within a couple days it kicked the Dino’s a**.

807E5357-4DEF-4830-BEAA-344834D54F2E.jpeg 21D0DE17-5575-4DAA-9D3A-37788F5C82FB.jpeg
Did you ever ID them or just whack ‘em with UV?

OP
OP
CanesReef

CanesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever ID them or just whack ‘em with UV?

I didn’t ID them with a microscope but I did do the coffee filter test. Def was Dino and I had it bad. Only reason why I pulled the trigger on the UV was because they’d “disappear” during lights out. They’d suspend into the water column so decided to zap them with the UV and luckily it wiped them out.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What uv did you use? Just curious if you don't mind posting it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back