Losing corals one after the other. Getting desperate and fed up.

Yoshi Fujisawa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having the similar issue with my tank for almost 3 months since it was 3-4 months after set up. It could be a bacteria infection such as Vibrio. The corals infected by this bad bacteria exhibits the symptoms such as paling, poor polyp extension, tissue recession and eventually STN/RTN. Softies and LPS close up too. Mine seems to have started because of carbon source overdose when the tank has not reached the stage where bacterial population is balanced. Vibrio exists in all tanks and usually the ordinary aerobic and anaerobic bacteria are dominating and suppressing Vibrio activity. In case of young and immature tank, good bacteria has not been established enough and vibrio outbreak can occur with excessive carbon source dosing. What I have done is to stop NO3PO4-X completely and dose Seachem's Stability and Pristine to replenish good bacteria while keeping all other parameters stable and feed corals with amino, vitamin and Reefroid. I also supplement iodine to keep up coral's immune system. Bacterial balance can't be tested and your parameter are all in good range so this could be the cause of issue. Mine started to settle but as vibrio reproduces much faster rate than aerobic/anaerobic bacteria, carbon dosing will make it worse. Unless doing complete reset, it could be a long shot until vibrio gets suppressed by other good bacteria.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having the similar issue with my tank for almost 3 months since it was 3-4 months after set up. It could be a bacteria infection such as Vibrio. The corals infected by this bad bacteria exhibits the symptoms such as paling, poor polyp extension, tissue recession and eventually STN/RTN. Softies and LPS close up too. Mine seems to have started because of carbon source overdose when the tank has not reached the stage where bacterial population is balanced. Vibrio exists in all tanks and usually the ordinary aerobic and anaerobic bacteria are dominating and suppressing Vibrio activity. In case of young and immature tank, good bacteria has not been established enough and vibrio outbreak can occur with excessive carbon source dosing. What I have done is to stop NO3PO4-X completely and dose Seachem's Stability and Pristine to replenish good bacteria while keeping all other parameters stable and feed corals with amino, vitamin and Reefroid. I also supplement iodine to keep up coral's immune system. Bacterial balance can't be tested and your parameter are all in good range so this could be the cause of issue. Mine started to settle but as vibrio reproduces much faster rate than aerobic/anaerobic bacteria, carbon dosing will make it worse. Unless doing complete reset, it could be a long shot until vibrio gets suppressed by other good bacteria.

Maybe Dr Tim's Eco-Balance as well--it supposedly fights Vibrio.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll have to research this. Can you get vibrio with out running carbon? I'm wondering if my bacteria population depleted with the removal of fish and that is what is causing my issues. But I have never ran carbon or carbon dosed on this tank.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biodiversity and flow of your tank is huge and often overlooked. Everything seems fine as far as your parameters. Many reefers run at 1.026 salinity so i highly doubt that is the issue. Unfortunately your tank just needs more time to mature. Make sure you have good live rock in there. You can even buy some commercial bacteria additive to help give it a little bit of a boost (but dont rely solely on that). Just give it time and youll be ok. Id suggest not adding any more corals unless they are the hardy type. 4mo old is definitly a bit early to keep acros healthy. Just time and patience is all you need. Your doing great with everything else!

Flow is a huge factor. I have corals growing gloriously directly in front of pumps while at the far end of the tank I struggle to keep them alive. This is in a tank with 3 full strength MP40s.

One thing I’ve noticed is waves can cancel each other and this effect can be far more significant than we notice. Flow patters where some of the pumps are always not in use work better than having them all on and varying over time. Long oscillations work well.

If I were in a betting mood, more flow and switch to t5 and she’ll come right. Don’t sell the LEDs. They’re probably great lights. Just wait until it’s all working properly then slowly switch over when you have a good basis for experimentation.

Yoshi Fujisawa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to research this. Can you get vibrio with out running carbon? I'm wondering if my bacteria population depleted with the removal of fish and that is what is causing my issues. But I have never ran carbon or carbon dosed on this tank.

Vibrio is said to be present in every tank regardless of carbon source dosing. They usually come with liverock or frag bases.

Removal of fish can affect bacteria by depletion/reduction of available resource (like organic nutrient) for bacteria to multiply. In a new system, this might slow down establishing nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria colonies at the stable level. In this condition, other bacteria including vibrio can have better chance especially when having a faster multiply speed.

I also suggest feeding corals as they don't get enough organic nutrients due to lack of fish poo and leftover fish food. Feeding should help sustaining coral tissues and polyps.

Changing light setting is not usually recommended but exposure to strong light (especially white) can damage the tissues of weakened corals and slow down/prevent lost tissue recovery.

Although it may have some risks, I am using natural sea water for water change to help diversification of bacteria, supply of organic nutrient and planktons to vitalise corals. I can see feeding reactions and no negative impact so far.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I suggest--and it'll work--guaranteed.
  1. Find a large bucket or Rubbermaid tub, a heater set to a proper temperature, and a powerhead.
  2. Find a source of light, like the window (assuming the sun provides adequate lighting). The lighting shouldn't be strong. Make sure the tub isn't heated by the light.
  3. Now, change the water everyday with the same salt every time.
Your corals will live. You can take that to the bank.

While you enjoy your corals in a bucket, kindly perform an ammonia test.

Last edited:

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is a little higher then what is suggested for a reef. (1.023 - 1.025). That is the only parameter that seems unusual. How did you treat the rich, if at all? Also, how much light are you giving them? Have you tried adjusting that?
?? His salinity is the same as the ocean, and what corals are exposed to in nature. I think the unnaturally low salinities some people run in reef tanks cause a lot of problems. At the very least, it seems unarguable that matching the salinity of the ocean isnt "too high".

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate them to the light? I have a fairly new tank and have had pretty good luck with SPS and LPS. **knocks on wood**

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the channels that are currently over 100% down to around 80% over a period of a month. Then don't touch the lights for at least three months.

And get a PAR meter so you know what you're dealing with, otherwise you are guessing. An economical and pretty reliable meter is the Seneye...

You may loose more of your current corals but at least for future introductions you may have a better lighting environment.

And you can never have too much flow :).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lighting should be fairly bright but do not exceed 65% on white, Water flow should be moderate and a little wave action beneficial. Additionally, your levels look good. Do add trace, strontium, iodine and aminos for maximum color and tissue growth

JohnSot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get Triton professional water test to get a good reading. I had the same problem in my 250 the test came back w hight copper reading, took a closer and found out i used a copper fitting that was killing all coral. Im not saying that it is your problem but a Triton test will read for a lot more then we can test for at home

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity seems fine. Since there are no fish in your tank, your Corals now don’t have fish poop to eat. Your Nitrates and Phosphates seem on the lower side. How much and what are you feeding your tank?

OP
OP
R

Rpc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity seems fine. Since there are no fish in your tank, your Corals now don’t have fish poop to eat. Your Nitrates and Phosphates seem on the lower side. How much and what are you feeding your tank?
I am currently spot feeding all the corals every other day with reef roids.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 4 months is a very young tank. I just set up a new tank about a year and half ago and it’s just now starting to stable out. You may be able to keep most of your parameters stable but all it takes is one. I think from what you posted that your nutrients are fluctuating and that is causing a lot of your problems. I added cheato to my sump about 8 months ago and had similar issues with sps paling and stn’s but no problems with lps. I ended up dosing nitrate and it helped a lot but you have to dial it in and test a lot for a while. Be paitent and I wouldn’t add any sps. You still have to add nutrients to feed coral without fish they will definitely starve. Good luck I hope this helps.

Phil Dor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do reef-tanks maintenance for 10 years and when faced with unknown problems thre was one solution that always worked for whatever the problems were: a 90-95% water change fixed everything; IT NEVER FAILED!

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 170. Found ab lighting to bright. Here is what i have been running and very happy.
84A36A49-D7F6-4920-A6AD-B5F0658E38E3.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back