Losing corals one after the other. Getting desperate and fed up.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cory , how are you testing for K? The Salifert kit carried by BRS seems very good.
Ime potassium is important for coloration of acros and montis and salifert (if done properly) is pretty accurate compared to triton icp. If you get a weird potassium test result with salifert test again though to double check. Make sure you clean the tip of that one bottle as instructed.

I also think very low potassium can kill corals.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime potassium is important for coloration of acros and montis and salifert (if done properly) is pretty accurate compared to triton icp. If you get a weird potassium test result with salifert test again though to double check. Make sure you clean the tip of that one bottle as instructed.

I also think very low potassium can kill corals.

How do you @BigJohnny and @Cory dose K?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/adding-potassium.380926/

@Tombones uses Potassium Chloride, and I use BulkSupplements for bodybuilding. I didn't think to use it for my corals: https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-Kilogram/dp/B00ENS39XK/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1529084483&sr=8-6&keywords=potassium+chloride&th=1

Joe Yaiullo said he goes for a bit higher than NSW, around 400-420 ppm, on one of Meleev's Reefs webcasts.

Looping in @Randy Holmes-Farley

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been said already, but have you tried lowering the light intensity?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Tombones uses Potassium Chloride, and I use BulkSupplements for bodybuilding. I didn't think to use it for my corals: https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-Kilogram/dp/B00ENS39XK/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1529084483&sr=8-6&keywords=potassium+chloride&th=1

Joe Yaiullo said he goes for a bit higher than NSW, around 400-420 ppm, on one of Meleev's Reefs webcasts.

I maintain 420ppm and usually see coloration start to fade below 380.

I use brightwell potassion-p powder dissolved in RO added once a week (9ppm/week), but only because I was able to get it quickly off of amazon when I first needed it. Their dosing instructions are confusing and contradictory at times so I had to figure it out on my own. I can tell you what "gram/gallon = ppm" I've found to be accurate if you go with that.

I will be switching to a high purity lab grade potassium chloride when I run out so that is what I would recommend. Whatever product you use, definitely use a scale that goes out to the hundredths of a gram minimum to weigh it, rather than following instructions on the bottle or measuring by volume etc. I think bulksupps is a reputable company but unless you can view the msds and see actually purity it will be slightly harder to fine tune your dosage. Food grade is also not as strict as lab/reagent grade, although unclear if it makes a difference without knowing the impurities.

I started testing with salifert, then compared that vs triton icp, then used salifert in between every 2 months triton icps, and then finally just dialed in my dose based on the 3 triton icps over 6 months. I haven't had to adjust much with each subsequent test, if at all, but I definitely need the weekly maintenance dose.

Here are 2 lab supply companies I've used in the past that I've been happy with (although not for potassium chloride)
1ff94378ae8715b7d549784dfd2ecb3e.jpg
4d8f6f47b7fe0f8ec10e9fada4e4d0e8.jpg
762ac821f2f32da9aaba6909c2663d7b.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dose brightwells potassion P its supposed to be ionically balanced meaning its not 100% potassium sulphate or chloride but a mix of them at proper ratios. Dosing just potassium sulphate would raise sulphur too much over time. Thats why you need the proper mix.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose brightwells potassion P its supposed to be ionically balanced meaning its not 100% potassium sulphate or chloride but a mix of them at proper ratios. Dosing just potassium sulphate would raise sulphur too much over time. Thats why you need the proper mix.

That's actually very misleading. dosing any supplement into your tank where the residual after the components are used is not ionically balanced nsw (or your tanks/salt mixes asw params) shifts the overall ionic balance. The only difference is there will be extra of both chloride and sulfur vs just extra chloride. Just an fyi.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually very misleading. dosing any supplement into your tank where the residual after the components are used is not ionically balanced nsw (or your tanks/salt mixes asw params) shifts the overall ionic balance. The only difference is there will be extra of both chloride and sulfur vs just extra chloride. Just an fyi.

It will raise salinity, yes but will be easily corrected by replacing saltwater with fresh. Its definitely misleading though.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do reef-tanks maintenance for 10 years and when faced with unknown problems thre was one solution that always worked for whatever the problems were: a 90-95% water change fixed everything; IT NEVER FAILED!

OP has a serious problem that needs a serious solution. Water changes are the way to go.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the first it, as in "it will raise salinity"
Yes the balanced potassium mix will raise salinity by raising sulphate and chloride over time. This is what i meant by it.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the balanced potassium mix will raise salinity by raising sulphate and chloride over time. This is what i meant by it.
So will the "not balanced" potassium by raising chloride over time. Both shift ionic balance was my point, didnt mention salinity. Neither will make a big difference though so it doesn't matter.

Back